Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

I just want to add that the TheSamba crowd is the best. Thanks for helping.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Probably unrelated, but it looks like the driveshaft is installed backwards from the one picture you posted.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
I recalled that I should be able to slowly turn a wheel and have the vc slip. Just one rear wheel off the ground and grabbing the tire with two hands it took a lot of force to very very slowly turn the tire. ( doing this to access all the cv bolts easier). More than 20 ft lbs I'm sure.

Well note what I said above, on mine it takes 20ft.lb. to make the wheel just begin to turn the slightest amount. At that little torque it would take a long long time to make even 1/4 turn. Mine took steady application of 80ft.lb. to make a 1/4 turn in 8+ seconds. To turn faster would require even higher applied torque. So you're having to apply a lot more than 20ft.lb. to turn the axle any significant amount in any reasonable time.

Quote:
My vc has been feeling stiffer and scrubbing in tight turns seems worse. Could a stiffening vc cause a shudder or vibe in a 3rd gear deceleration or steep down hill coast? Sorry for the little hijack.

I suppose it could if it's binding intermittently, particularly if you don't have the Giubo joint driveshaft to cushion minor shocks.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Alaskadan, the VC cannot be related to any issues driving straight (not turning etc) while F+R wheels have appx same traction (all rolling same).

davevickery wrote:
maybe the front diff has had the wrong gear ratio the whole time and the VC.....

... was blown out by mismatch of the R&Ps.

4.86 USA trans and 5.43 EU front diff?
Sorry everyone wants to be the super-sleuth Wink that sniffed out the problem. Members toot their own horns, but everyone want's to get your problem solved. Thats a good thing.......true Samba!

Oops well..... not everyone
insyncro wrote:
I have a huge collection of VCs.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Anyway, lucky you posted before driving too far.

If this is it....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

What are there about 25 possible combinations front and rear?
20 of them are bad for the VC?

That is just with stock VW r&p possibilities.

Mark

Sodo wrote:

4.86 USA trans and 5.43 EU front diff?....
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Mark, I did get to try your test. With the driver's side lifted and tires marked with tape the rear tire rotated adout 10-15%faster than the front tire. I also tried tencent life's suggestion. Turning the front wheel with all others on the ground did have some resistance but I did not have a torque wrench to measure, it felt close ton20-30 lbs torque. So I guess this clarifies that the viscous coupling is ok?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Yes, VC probably fine but you have a big problem. The r&p gear set in the front doesn't match the back. You may be able to simply read the codes stamped into the tranny and front diff housings to look up and see what they each came with when made. That of course assumes they still contain the gear ratios they each came with.

With some careful time you can do a test to figure out what ratio is in each end of your Syncro.

With both wheels on one side lifted, mark the center driveshaft and one tire. Turn that tire some number of exact turns, like 5. Carefully count how many full rotations the driveshaft makes during that time. It has to be precisely done. Write it down including an estimate of fraction of turn at the end.

Then repeat for the other wheel on the same side to get the ratio for that end.

As to your 10-15 %, about 11% would be right for a 4.86 rear and 5.43 front, the most likely mismatch as they are the most common ones.

Mark
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good info. and possible fix to my dilemma. I will continue to investigate the gear ratios and see what I find. Turns out I dropped the driveshaft and drove it home no problems other than a bit of vibration and noise. And yes, after consulting bentley the driveshaft had been installed backwards....will make sure to fix that when it goes back in. Who knows what other secrets this ol' Doka has in store Think
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Crazyvwvanman,

I thought I would fill you in on the ratios I found for my doka. It is a diesel from sweden and the only numbers I found on the trans were on the passenger side, 09 301103, I also found the code on the front diff, 6nd, which I think is the 5.43 ratio.

After trying the tire 5 times and counting revolutions of the drive flanges I got the following:

front 5: 13.6 revolutions

rear 5: 12.15 revolutions

so how does this calculate into the trans gear ratio if you don't mind?

Thanks.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

12.15/13.6x5.43=4.86

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

"After trying the tire 5 times and counting revolutions of the drive flanges I got the following:"

front 5: 13.6 revolutions: THIS IS A 5.44 RATIO (by the arithmetic, that is, the difference likely being caused by a slight measurement error meaning the 5.43 ratio is what you have)

rear 5: 12.15 revolutions" THIS IS A 4.86 RATIO

Your arithmetic is complicated by the fact that when one wheel is stationary, and the other is rotated, the diff causes the wheel to rotate twice as fast as would be the case if both wheels (on one axle) turned the same speed.

Therefore, you correct by either doubling the pinion shaft revolutions or halving the wheel rotations to solve for the gear ratio.

Illustration 1:
(13.6 + 13.6) = 27.2

27.2/5 = 5.44

Illustration 2:

(12.15 + 12.15) = 24.30

24.3/5 = 4.86

Last edited by Howesight on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
12.15/13.6x5.43=4.86

Hey Sodo:

Your arithmetic is incorrect, but serendipity still produced a 4.85106 ratio in your equation. Go figure.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

I’m walking around at a farmers market. I haven’t had time to think about it but the numbers looked pretty good Rolling Eyes .

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

This explains why the center driveshaft was "reversed" from "normal" since VW put the shaft end with the guibo to the front on diesels. So it wasn't backwards after all. Don't know why VW did this but I'm sure they had a reason.

Mark

vandoka wrote:
.... It is a diesel from sweden .....
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Sodo wrote:
12.15/13.6x5.43=4.86

Hey Sodo:

Your arithmetic is incorrect, but serendipity still produced a 4.85106 ratio in your equation. Go figure.

Howesight I don’t see the serendipity. Each diff doubles the number so in the arithmetic, the 2x “cancels”. If the 12.15 & 13.6 were recorded carefully it points directly to a pair of R&Ps 4.85 rear and 5.43 front. Of course there could be other VW ratios that I have not looked at any other ratios.

Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: German transaxle rebuilt viscous coupling Reply with quote

Sodo:

You are absolutely right. I read your post too quickly and did not notice you multiplying the fraction by 5.43. My apologies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: