Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oettinger wasserboxer conversion into Super Beetle Cabrio
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Oettinger wasserboxer conversion into Super Beetle Cabrio Reply with quote

Before Subaru installations became popular in the past ca. 10-15 years, there was the occasional VW waterboxer engine transplant from mid '80's Vanagons. I had never seen such a conversion, but when I did see my first one, it was an optimum installation. I'm sure others here would enjoy seeing such work per photos.

In March 1997 a colleague and I were in Bavaria for a business trip. Over the weekend we visited the excellent EFA Auto Museum in the village of Amerang, east of Munich. A visitor parked a very well done dark blue Super Beetle Cabriolet with Munich plates in the lot. Walking up to it I could see the lowered suspension, the wide ATS black-center alloy rims, a "fat" muffler, and blacked-out taillamp lenses. I peeked through the engine cooling vents and saw there was no upright fan shroud on the engine, but could not identify what it was. Further luck was that the owner and his young son were leaving so I could speak with him a few minutes. Said this was a regularly offered conversion performed by Oettinger at their facility near Frankfurt. Don't remember if he told me it's a 1.9 or 2.1 liter. The heat exchanger was under the rear seat on the left side, opposite the battery. I don't remember where the coolant radiator was located. The engine conversion was very well done, with as many factory parts from various models, mostly the Vanagon (designated T3 in Europe). Except for the runs down the side of the air cleaner top housing Embarassed . I was surprised at how well the longblock fit into the original engine space. Small red light on lower left under bumper is a rear fog lamp.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oettinger wasserboxer conversion into Super Beetle Cabrio Reply with quote

That¨s a DJ code engine. 112 hp stock. Can easily be remapped and detailed to just shy of 130 hp.
Very nice engine.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oettinger wasserboxer conversion into Super Beetle Cabrio Reply with quote

That¨s a DJ code engine. 112 hp stock. Can easily be remapped and detailed to just shy of 130 hp.
Very nice engine.
The Oëttinger versions were to my knowledge typically up to about 140 hp. Still with almost stock fuel injection.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oettinger wasserboxer conversion into Super Beetle Cabrio Reply with quote

Looks like a tight fit and hard to work on.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oettinger wasserboxer conversion into Super Beetle Cabrio Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Looks like a tight fit and hard to work on.

Looks more scary to work on than it actually is, FI bugs got a lot of stuff going on the top of the motor,
where in a Bus or Type 3 the FI would be more spread out.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oettinger wasserboxer conversion into Super Beetle Cabrio Reply with quote

Lot of stuff but if done right with that FI System he has a modern Bug. Can take it anywhere. It can be plugged in to computer and tuned and a problem quickly fixed.

I would think it was a bolt up like a T-4 to T-1 conversion.

Again, lot of stuff but if the electronics are new the only reason to open the hood would be to check the oil -- OH and of course the WATER!!!! Ha.

For sure less work then a Subie and less mutilation of body. But then again were is the Radiator?.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oettinger wasserboxer conversion into Super Beetle Cabrio Reply with quote

A quick bit of research found the answer. The last 2 paragraphs of this article* reads:

In 1987 the Hessian cult tuner planted the 4-cylinder waterboxer engine from the 1983 VW Bus Caravelle Oettinger (internal designation WBX 4 2100 E/4 Kat) with 100 hp into not only the 1302/1303 but also the Cabriolets. He designed not only new engine mounts, but also the fuel injection system, exhaust catalyst, and hydraulic valve clearance adjustment. Never did any Beetle have such a modern engine. The catalyst served as pre-muffler, which together with the main muffler created a very sporty sound. Despite this, the waterboxer 4 cyl. was the quietest engine in the OKRASA family. The radiator was mounted in front. This complicated layout benefited the weight distribution. Underway, the OKRASA Beetle accelerated from 0 - 62 mph in 10.5 seconds, and if needed could reach 102 mph. For countries without a top speed limitation, an even hotter version was available with 2.5 liters and 120 hp (VW specified a top speed limit of 102 mph for Beetles without suspension modifications). In Germany this top engine could only be allowed if the Beetle received suspension modifications at Oettinger, 7" wide rims with 16mm offset, and a stronger braking system based on Porsche 944 standard components.

Crowning achievement: Oettinger Cabriolet with 190 hp for King Juan Carlos

But there was still more possible. One of the highlights of the 1987 IAA in Frankfurt (International Auto Show) was a Super Beetle 1303 Cabriolet with the 6-cylinder (Rome: Shocked Very Happy ) waterboxer engine from the Vanagon Carat which Oettinger had developed to series production readiness for VW. This unique vehicle reached a top speed of over 125 mph. King Juan Carlos of Spain was so impressed over this Beetle at the Hessian tuner's display stand, that 2 years later the horsepower pope from Friedrichsdorf delivered to the Monarch from Madrid at his Palace La Zarzuela the absolute crowning Beetle achievement- an open show car with an incredible 3.7 liter engine rated at 190 hp.

* https://www.oettinger.de/unternehmen/oettinger_his...stung.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: