Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

But I think this is the fuel shutoff solenoid.
and it does test at 11.v (I think my battery is a little run down from all this experimenting. Though I did use a backup battery 12.5v to try to start it yesterday, but no luck.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

Yes, that is the solenoid. With the ignition on, disconnect the lead & reattach it, you should hear a click.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what have the temperatures been like?

If it has been warm & the vehicle has been slow to start But suddenly doesn't start if the temperatures have dropped, then you might need glow plugs or you may have a failed glow plug relay or fuse.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

Yes, we are into proper Fall season now. A hard frost 2 nights ago. With enough cranking any healthy IDI should start.

I have found that even if you hear clicking at the solenoid that does not definitively mean it is opening and closing properly. I would suggest loosening one or two fuel injector fittings at the injector(s) and see if you get good pressure when the engine is spinning over (with the starter). if it only dribbles out then you have an issue with fuel delivery, either fuel cut off solenoid or injection pump. That solenoid is a common one, most any diesel service shop should have one on the shelf.
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

Ill disconnect the injector luel lines again tomorrow, but more fully. And will see
if there is good fuel pressure.

Peter

Last edited by pjstock on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

Temperature wise we are in to 40 to 55F range thia week.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

I didn’t even have to glow plug my 1.6D in 60 F weather
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

pjstock wrote:
Ill disconnect the injector luel lines again tomorrow, but more fully. And will see
if there is good fuel pressure.

Peter

No need to do that, just loosen the nut 1/2 turn, by allowing a bit of resistance, the fuel should squirt a couple of inches to a foot.

40°-50° temps are definitely in the range of causing starting issues if the glow plugs aren’t working.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

Get you battery up to full charge (use a voltage/temp charge) before you continue trouble shooting. A diesel needs a healthy glow and a good spin to get going in colder temps.

When it would hit -20F in Ithaca, I would keep the battery on trickle overnight, glow for 45 seconds, no cold-start knob, and crank for about 15 seconds before I got the very satisfying smoke screen out the rear view.

11 VOlts at the solenoid is a huge drop from the battery - find out whats up there.
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

I did not get a gusher this morning. really more of a trickle.
I'm stumped.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

How accurate is the fuel gauge?

Unlike a gasoline vehicle that sends a flow of fuel, the diesel IP only pumps the amount of fuel that is needed for each cylinder to fire so it's only going to pulse a bit of fuel every two revolutions of the crankshaft. This is why I suggested to only crack the line open, this provides enough back pressure to give a telltale squirt.

pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

the fuel gauge has proven reasonably accurate to date.
the tank is now topped up completely.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

If your pump is worn to the point of where it pumps air, you need a new pump

How many miles are on the pump?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If your pump is worn to the point of where it pumps air, you need a new pump

How many miles are on the pump?

The Bosch VE pumps rarely ever wear out, the seals will fail though causing priming issues. The pump doesn’t appear to be wet enough for this to be an issue though.

pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

It's been suggested that using a spritz of ether in the air intake to quickstart the engine could narrow the causes (A) starts and keeps running = bad glow plugs B) Starts and then stops = bad fuel supply)

But apparently this is a bad idea (possible explosion?!) if the glow plugs are actually heating up. suspect my glow plugs are bad (hence the Crank NoStart problem documented here) but I would like to be sure they are disabled.

Is there a fuse that controls power to the glow plugs? or a relay that I could disconnect before trying the quickstart.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

I’m not a fan of ether in diesels.

Google “dieselrunaway “ first. 😮
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

Never use ether, you can damage the engine.

You can hold a rag with a bit of gasoline on it in front of the intake but whatever you do, DO NOT let it get sucked in, the engine WILL run away.

pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

well what's done's done. hopefully one shot is not the end of the world.
she seemed to run well once up and running.
i'll try the rag with gas next time.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

YIkes - well done!!

If it started and then ran fine with one shot of ether, i would guess your glow plugs are out.

Diagnostic there is much safer, starting with looking for 12V at the glow plug with the key on.
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

I had 12v at the glow plugs I could access.
but I could not test continuity without removing the plugs (though one fellow suggested testing Amps on the cable the powers the glow plugs. if they each draw about 10amps then 5 x 10 = 50amp reading would suggest all the plugs are good. I haven't done that test yet.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: