Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member, long time owner of 66 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

If you need a balancer plate, let me know, lots in stock, Thanks!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1830990
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
If you need a balancer plate, let me know, lots in stock, Thanks!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1830990

Cool, I'll order one in a few weeks when funds catch up. I'm BROKE right now.

Just noticed the lug holes are drilled off center about 3/8" on one wheel. CIP1 really does suck. They totally botched what should be a pretty simple order.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Cool bug.

Nice mopeds too. I have had a few Tomos, Express, Puchs and currently working on a Garelli. I love working on these things.

So, what do you do with the buses?
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Cool bug.

Nice mopeds too. I have had a few Tomos, Express, Puchs and currently working on a Garelli. I love working on these things.

So, what do you do with the buses?

The same stuff I used to do when I could afford VW buses. Cruise around with my friends, daily drive em, whatever happens I've got a big honkin diesel bus to haul stuff around. Since I can't afford a VW bus I've gotten used to REAL buses!
I was a big dead head when I was a kid and I always thought old school buses were cool. I'm on my 5th one. Its a 99 freightliner short bus with a Cat and a lift kit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My friends have 20 acres outside of town so I have a few buses stashed out there till we sell our house and get some land.

The garage is FULL of mopeds. All Tomos stuff. I'm a big fan of the A35's. My Targa has been 53mph on gps with a SHA carb! I've got a 4 petal intake and 16mm PCGB for it. Hoping for a 60mph ped.
The only non-Tomos I've currently got is a Korrado that's been sitting for a few years.
I like working on em, too.
The buses and mopeds fill the "VW void". I just love cheap projects.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I'm sure most of you have heard the horror stories, but man I sure wish I'd not ordered my wheels and tires from CIP1.
One of the wheels has the lug holes drilled way off center, they all came mounted wrong. Total fail and cost me nearly a thousand bucks. They're pretty crappy when it comes to customer service. Its just luck if you get the right parts and they're as described, apparently. If not you're sorta SOL. They just tell you to fix it yourself. No standing behind their products like the AC vw vendors I used to use in the 90's.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Tomorrow the wife and I are going to Tampa and will be stopping at Olsen's Aircooled. He's gonna remount the tires and I'm gonna talk to him about helping me get this bug on the road in time for the Bug Jam.
Anyone dealt with Larry before?
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

So I found an old school tire shop locally and $30 later I've got the tires mounted to the right wheels.
If all goes well today the car may come off of the jackstands its been sitting on for the last 2 decades!
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Didn't get the wheels on. Only got the pitman arm and tie rods on today.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Some pics before I finally get this thing back on the ground and rolling.

going back over to the car this week to tighten down the brake drums and put the studs on them. After that I should be able to put the steering column and wheel back in and roll it onto a trailer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: