Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Model Club
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: VW Model Club Reply with quote

... does this club, still exist?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Model Club Reply with quote

What model is that? Gama? Playart?

I knew about this club, but I remember it was pricey to be a member of a club based out of Scotland, and I think you had to pay with international reply coupons. I used my resources to buy toys instead. I did have some of their newsletters passed along to me, and I have them buried away somewhere. I think the club lasted around 20 years, and was finally nixed by the Internet.

I'm surprised Hacksaw BoB hasn't chimed in, as this would represent an era he was very active in.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Model Club Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
What model is that? Gama? Playart?

I knew about this club, but I remember it was pricey to be a member of a club based out of Scotland, and I think you had to pay with international reply coupons. I used my resources to buy toys instead. I did have some of their newsletters passed along to me, and I have them buried away somewhere. I think the club lasted around 20 years, and was finally nixed by the Internet.

I'm surprised Hacksaw BoB hasn't chimed in, as this would represent an era he was very active in.

... is a Playart... they had a club toy every year. And yes, it was pricy. And yes in Scotland. I belonged for one year and then did not renew.... it was a good idea, at the time. I remember I was sad that the annual club toy was not an oval or split is probably why, I did not renew.
Too bad they are no longer around... no one, I know belonged Sad You are the first that knew anything about it... thanks.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Model Club Reply with quote

One of my buddies became active in the club, and he was always suggesting I contribute. If I had I'd probably know more great people.

When I first started collecting, I used to buy off of mailorder lists. You may remember James Weiland (I think that was his name). He was one of the top international sellers. He had a long list he sent out with no pictures, just his descriptions, and everything was a crap shoot. It was very exciting to see what would turn up in the package. To this day, some of the most unique pieces in my collection came from that list.

Heinz Nordhoff
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: VW Model Club Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
One of my buddies became active in the club, and he was always suggesting I contribute. If I had I'd probably know more great people.

When I first started collecting, I used to buy off of mailorder lists. You may remember James Weiland (I think that was his name). He was one of the top international sellers. He had a long list he sent out with no pictures, just his descriptions, and everything was a crap shoot. It was very exciting to see what would turn up in the package. To this day, some of the most unique pieces in my collection came from that list.

... yes exactly. i bought off the same mail order list. I didn't only buy VWs... I still have a few of the others... Sunbeam Alpine, Morris Minor, Aston Martin, Citroen, Renault Caravelle and more... those were the early pre-computer great toy collecting days.
I had a nice Messerschmitt KR-175 back then and several Messerschmitt toys as well... sold all those, but wish I hadn't.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Model Club Reply with quote

... Anybody have any of the other post 1980 CLUB Annual toy with club markings?
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

jozsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW Model Club Reply with quote

Bob Gilmore (hacksawbob) and me have started 5 years ago an online vintagevolkswagen toy club. The site has very many daily visitors, but the reader contribution to the site or even just writing posts is limited...

I can honestly state that we have the MOST complete, thorough and correct information database on vintage VW toys on this planet. Would be great though when we would get more support...

We nevertheless list in weekly and often on a daily basis new info and pictures...

Take a look: www.vintagevolkswagenmodels.com

Just make sure to become a member (FREE) and contribute!

best regards
Jozsi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: