Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

Yep, it is all about making the mix warm & fuzzy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

I am working on an engine that will be used in the Yukon, where it will quite possibly be expected to run well at -40 (basically the same in F or C).

The carburetion is going to be a PICT 34-3 with a 28mm venturi. I have chosen that for the following reasons:

-It is going into a 70 Westy, and duals mean you can not have either the BN4 heater or the oil bath air cleaner. I see a lot of dust here and also, did I mention the temperature?! Btw, I am married, so the heater is not going anywhere!
-Duals are more of an issue for cold starting.

My solutions are as follows:

-My headers are going to be modified for proper cross flow intake heat.
-The thermostat for the heads will be functional.
-Functional choke of course.
-I am going to make a shround around the exhaust pipes for intake air. I will run it to the stock pre-heat location on the air cleaner. I have also figured out how to use the coiled spring from a Holley choke mechanism to thermostatically control the pre-heat inlet by having the coil mounting inside the air cleaner and an acuator rod move the stock flapper. This means the incoming air will be heated even when the heads are at full operating temp, unlike the stock system. It should provide hot air quite quickly upon start up and once it stabilizes it should maintain around 10* C/45* F for running.

My hope is that effectively my engine will run as if it is a cool spring day, even at extreme low temps. It may also answer some of the reasons why someone would choose a single carb over duals, despite the acknowledged superiority of duals in nearly every way.

Chris

PS: I am aware that a PICT 34 is not a progressive carb, I simply jumped in because the issues of why and also heating are relevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

Yes Chris but not exactly, several models of dual carbs use short manifolds which the heads heat up quite effectively, pin some case too much, VW used a phenolic spacer on the dual's (T3 & T4 style) to keep the the transfer of heat down or fuel would boil out of the bowl. Also the distance the atomized fuel had to travel was shorter, less drop out. So dual carbs on short manifold with the proper insulator can be run in rather cold weather.

With a single manifold there is a lot of runner distance, atomized fuel needs the warmth to keep the marriage together, good you are planning ahead for that.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

When it comes to dual carbs I am more worried about startup than I am about heating of the carbs, though both matter. Duals are harder to get running and choke options are more limited. Doing the toe dance on the gas and trying to get it started at those temps is more of an issue than you think. Add in that my margin for battery power is less and you can see the issue. Things start to get weird below about -20 C!

None of that solves the issues of filtration and heater installation. I am not scrapping my heat at -40!!!

I did not want to hi-jack the thread, but the points of body structure and start up were relevant to the original question.

Thanks!

Chris
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
In the beginning....there was one carburetor, and apparently, people liked it.
The manifold it sits on... is overly long, which causes some odd things to happen. At low RPM it's basically ok, tho you have to keep it warm as it won't keep itself warm.
Somewhere between 3300-4000k rpm WOT, there is a period where due to the "phase" of how they bounce around.... both sides are trying to flow forward mid stroke, and one normally sized carb can't feed both sides, so you get a dip in the torque curve there compared to..... what "could be", more pronounced on the rear cyls.
Beyond 4500 increasingly the length becomes just too long, choking off flow to the rear cylinders although the fronts do better.
Motivation to run a single is sometimes for simplicity of air filtration, reduce flooding on bumpy tracks, space constraints, or the desire to keep the engine quiet.

Enlarging the ID of the manifold will improve top end at the expense of -everything- else, so, probably don't do that. Feeding the manifold with a much larger carburetor would improve torque by resolving the dip mentioned above, however, there does not seem to be space to fit a progressive carburetor on there nicely, so although we have many different types they all seem to suck, wet flow problems and bad drivability.
tho a type-3 or 4 flat fan it would be possible, tho I've never seen it done right. One big carb on a plenum sometimes is good choice for a large CC offroader, and a zenith on a deano plenum manifold is ok, or a dcnf. a single IDF isn't necessarily better if on a plenum, in fact might be worse.

Dividing the manifold into right and left halves, and feeding each half with it's own barrel, does eliminate the midrange dip, but makes each side EVEN longer, so it still has the high RPM drawbacks, and a lot more reversion evident too which needs to be handled with an airbox or large air filter housing, open 6-8" above venturi for proper cloud formation.
Works well if you don't need much over 5k rpm
When throttled you get uneven VE again, front cylinders throttled more and get more EGR contamination, but.....so do kadrons, and you get some of the same behavior. Often good for fuel economy but can cause the two harder working cylinders to overheat sooner. Similar to kadrons expect to idle better without a balance tube with cams wilder than engle 100, but will idle better on two than coughing and loping on four, which is what you'd have running the same cam on a single barrel or plenum setup. Possible candidate for split compression ratio.

That's the short and simple. and we all lived happily ever after, the end.

I like the story-telling explanation Modok. Smile A few thoughts pop to mind reading it. Idea

The ID of the intake with a center mount carb is a velocity/flow issue. Is a smaller intake runner the main reason the stock single port seems to have more torque and run smoother at low rpm situations? If the single port end casting and dual port center where used I wonder if a stock single port would feel more like a DP engine.

If the center mount 2 barrel carb is going to knock back the high end due to runner length anyway wouldn't it make more sense to use a "30 IDF" (a smaller 2 barrel) instead of the larger 40 and 44 millimeter carbs typically used? Just looking at it I would think the carb and manifold are too large for stock or smaller displacement engines. Also, a number of those manifolds look like a small crossover could be ground into them, if it would help like a tube often does on dual single carb installations.

The off-road situation is a place where a center mounted carb makes a lot of sense. Not something I do, so it didn't occur to me but I can see the advantage if you are trying to get a needle and seat to control the fuel. I'm sure other carb design considerations help in that environment too.

If you don't have a working exhaust heat riser system I can understand that center mounted is just never going to work well. Still, I see such systems being sold for type 3 installations. Isn't that just trouble out of the box?
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

Starting up in cold is the same, the engine is cold, the air is cold, the oil is cold, the fuel is cold, dancing the foot with or without a choke a single barrel, two single barrels or host of barrels does not change the cold factor. Until the engine warms up and either transfers heat to the manifold or the warm air tube life in the frigid carburetor world is a bit doggy.

Now torching off that BN4 before starting up and dumping a bunch of hot air in the engine compartment wold make it easy all the way around.

In decades past they use to make an adapter plate that bolted to the oil strainer cover, could plug your VW in, have a warm engine when you decided to drive.

Not done the -20 or -40 but have driven in 10F to 20F, the dual preformed better, no icing or stalling.

As for ease of running nothing like a single.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

SVDAs also give increased idle timing when the choke is in operation, that helps a LOT over the uh-oh-nines.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Alstrup, that 50mm hose alone would easily feed a 2.0L engine, but the entire left side of the air cleaner is not blocked off, getting plenty of air.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ahh, didīnt catch that. Youre all good then.
On the hose thing. you are correct as such. But question is to how much hp/rpm. We have seen the weirdest things happen on the dyno when primary induction is through a long hose.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

Quote:
We have seen the weirdest things happen on the dyno when primary induction is through a long hose.

This is interesting since there are a few people in the type 3 forum that think they can run a 2.5" hose from the cold air intake on the body to the carbs and have the engine run properly. I don't think it's possible without running out of air in the upper RPMs

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take stock air system, slot in a progressive and tune with a PLX AFR meter.

Not a cheap option - I have $100+ of jets alone for this carburettor, $200 for the AFR setup .. And since that picture a custom linkage giving a 1:1.2 step up in movement to get to WOT without wires stretching up at stupid angles.

It does not stumble.

The exhaust rattling between #2 and #4 just behind the block still gets hot enough to burn you if you touch the riser pipes under that less than excellent EMPI manifold.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy

Last edited by mikedjames on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

I am a seat of the pants HP tester, if it feels good, sounds good and puts a grin on my face then obviously it worked. I would prefer 3" but VW failed to make the metal tin piece in that size, piss poor engineering in my opinion.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts are running through my head about 2 ICTs or Kadrons vs. 1 centermount IDF or HPMX...

The duals have quite the proven history of use on stock engines. They don't need exhaust heating. On the downside, throttle shaft wear could be a problem as there are twice as many throttle shaft holes. Depending on the linkage, synchronisation of the carbs could be troublesome too. I know from experience that the steel rod connecting 2 Kadrons meant they where only working together at one engine temperature. (It did prop one side open for a cold start idle boost.) Oh, I'm surprised more carbs are not made with one throttle shaft hole a blind hole to cut wear leakage issues in half.

The centermount options have the advantages of not needing to be balanced, both at idle and in the linkage, to insure they agree across the entire range. They also have the upside of using sealed ball bearing throttle shafts to stop the wear leakage issues. Lastly, if I understand those carbs it looks like jetting changes are easily handled by just removing the air filter. One likely downside for use on a stock 1600 is that the carbs and runner volume looks a bit large for good lower end (and that is where a stock cam is happy.) Also, most of these systems are a bit tall and may not clear engine covers in some applications. Lastly, any of the centermount choices require a good exhaust heat riser setup.

O.K. what have I missed or gotten wrong? Embarassed
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
When it comes to dual carbs I am more worried about startup than I am about heating of the carbs, though both matter. Duals are harder to get running and choke options are more limited. Doing the toe dance on the gas and trying to get it started at those temps is more of an issue than you think. Add in that my margin for battery power is less and you can see the issue. Things start to get weird below about -20 C!

None of that solves the issues of filtration and heater installation. I am not scrapping my heat at -40!!!

I did not want to hi-jack the thread, but the points of body structure and start up were relevant to the original question.

Thanks!

Chris

I am glad you brought this up! For those of us that run our air cooled VWs in less than ideal weather there is no viable after market substitute yet for the stock Solex carb with all it's well thought out cold starting/running refinements. Any deviation from the choke/intake heat riser/pre-heated carb air/distributor/thermostat combination that the factory developed will be a serious step backwards on a cold winter day.

For those of us that live and drive in parts of the world where there are far more cold days than warm the center mounted carb shines big time by keeping us from owning fair weather garage queens.

That does not stop me however(as foolish as it may be)from trying to make my non stock engine winter friendly. I will let you know if I ever succeed!

I have made a wee bit of progress... Wink
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

For those of us that live and drive in parts of the world where there are far more cold days than warm the center mounted carb shines big time by keeping us from owning fair weather garage queens.

That does not stop me however(as foolish as it may be)from trying to make my non stock engine winter friendly. I will let you know if I ever succeed!

I have made a wee bit of progress... Wink

Please start a thread on how you plan to get this cold start, easy warm up, great running situation solved.

Like you, just not as cold. I drive my 67 1679 dual 36 Dell carbs year round.
Last winter. It just started right up with very little popping and farting.
This fall a whole other story. The engine starts like it's running on only one carb. Then once there's a little heat in the engine (30 seconds) things get a bit better. Once I drive about 1km. Life is good. But that cold start up is a bitch.

So again. Please start a thread on what you're up to. You have me curious.

OP, sorry for the little thread hijack!

Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

We have mastered running in the cold with DRLAs/alfa IDFs, I can't see much to improve.
It was easy because Italy did the work for us, and having a intake manifold only 6" tall, not a lot of ways to screw that up.

Now I look at the OE vw setup and I see there details that can be improved.
Steel riser and aluminum end castings......oops, that's backwards.
Put the heat right under the throttle, because that's where it gets cold.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

The ID of the intake with a center mount carb is a velocity/flow issue. Is a smaller intake runner the main reason the stock single port seems to have more torque and run smoother at low rpm situations? If the single port end casting and dual port center where used I wonder if a stock single port would feel more like a DP engine.

I agree the SP is a lot more friendly at low revs and so forth. A lot of it is just size. A SP intake is only 27mm id while DP is 30-32mm ID.
It really should have been the other way around IMO, the SP can handle a slightly larger manifold size all else equal, because the volume is less and other reasons.

EVfun wrote:

If the center mount 2 barrel carb is going to knock back the high end due to runner length anyway wouldn't it make more sense to use a "30 IDF" (a smaller 2 barrel) instead of the larger 40 and 44 millimeter carbs typically used? Just looking at it I would think the carb and manifold are too large for stock or smaller displacement engines. Also, a number of those manifolds look like a small crossover could be ground into them, if it would help like a tube often does on dual single carb installations.

With DRLA carb on isolated manifolds, I can run the venturi as big as the runner, and it works. The size of the throttle isn't very important in itself, but using a larger carburetor body gives you more progression overlap, so I would use 30 vents in a 40DRLA instead of 30 vents in a 36, just because the jetting is closer, adapting that kind of carb for this application.

When you DO have a crossover port....well, that's a good question. It should work, but I haven't had any luck myself. It seems like you do need to make the vents smaller when the crossover port gets larger, and THEN yes you end up needing a smaller carburetor to make it match. I'll try it again sometime, maybe can make it work.

EVfun wrote:

If you don't have a working exhaust heat riser system I can understand that center mounted is just never going to work well. Still, I see such systems being sold for type 3 installations. Isn't that just trouble out of the box?

It should look like a subaru ea intake, then it would work great.
Float bowl forward, primary barrel offset, heat under the plenum, it's all that way because that works well.
The four tube thing they sell, is not a good idea.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

modok wrote:

It should look like a subaru ea intake, then it would work great.
Float bowl forward, primary barrel offset, heat under the plenum, it's all that way because that works well.
The four tube thing they sell, is not a good idea.

I did a search for that engine and looked at a number of pictures. It looks like a flat 4 with single port heads and a cooling water heated intake. Some here have talked about an oil heated intake and it seems to be dismissed for being to slow to warm up. Doesn't a coolant based system suffer that same issue? Are there some tricks Subaru uses to help with the cold start and running time?

To OPRN, it is fairly common in western WA to run a dual 1 barrel system because of the "cold." Most aftermarket headers don't have a proper heat riser and the cool damp weather can ice up an intake so bad you cannot get to 35 mph. Shut the car off for 2 minutes and you get the power back until it ices again.

There are so many carb options out there for the aicooleds, but I couldn't find a lot of information on choosing between one two barrel or two one barrel carbs. Off road applications favor a center mounted carb and no working heat risers pretty much rules the center mount out. Aside from that?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

I don't consider manifold heat to be highly important. one thing that helps is making the key parts of the manifold out of aluminum. Actually the plenum area eing aluminum and then steel runners is GOOD idea, but yet again only one detail of many.
Yes you need to heat some areas of the manifold that get cold, and you need good wet flow and velocity, and a good carburetor, and intake heat so the carburetor itself does not freeze over.
How the fuel comes out of the carburetor and hits the manifold is very important, both for fuel distribution and drivability. A lot of people only imagine what happens at WOT, but MOST of your driving the throttle is not full open, so what comes out of the carburetor is all about the throttle plate.

THINK about the four tube progressive manifold and how that's going to work at part throttle. The fuel stream coming out of the primary, which is on one side, will hit the floor of that tiny plenum, which has a dividing ramp, and get swept into mostly TWO of the runners, and once in those runners there isn't any heat there nor any kind of turns or anything to throw the fuel back into the airstream at all, until it goes through the turn, and that turn is not going to help either.. So you'll have two cylinders drowning in liquid fuel and two going lean. Not only does that run terrible but it also might kill the rings. Liquid fuel going into the engine is NOT good, and it should be avoided. A lot of good designs have grooves or ribs some little feature to keep the liquid fuel IN the heated area of the manifold until it has evaporated or there is enough airspeed to pick it up.

Turns are also tricky. A gentle turn ends up with all the fuel on the outside and most of the airspeed on the inside, which means a gentle turn wrecks your atomization. One would think the AIR would get thrown to the outside by centrifugal force, but actually....... if it does, or does not, depends on the raduis to size ratio, and if it is converging or diverging diameter through it, and other factors that aren't even constant, and in fact it's to a degree unavoidable, but even so you can minimize the areas of the manifold that are doing that. You look at the subaru intake the plenum floor is certainly a tight enough turn after the throttle that the air will take the outside, so have airspeed on the floor, and the floor is WIDE and will spread out what fuel collects there, AND that area is heated by water and an EGR port. You don't need to build a fire under the whole thing, just where it needs it.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

When was a single 2 barrel carb the best choice?
When I was 24, just moved to Ca. and didn't know any better.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a single 2 barrel carb the best choice? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

Doesn't a coolant based system suffer that same issue?

Pulling vacuum creates a temperature drop
If all fuel evaporates at WOT it creates 20-40 degree F temperature drop
Pulling vacuum AND evaporating the fuel is going to be more than 40 degree drop

You don't need to heat it over ambient, just keeping it AT ambient is good enough in many cases, which a water passage can do a lot better than just aluminum.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: