Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What speaker fits the old VW bracket?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvancleve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-up, it appears that speakers marketed as 6.75", at least some of them, fit the holes in the factory dash bracket. Also, samba member radiophil (who did some work on my original Sapphire), told me 4 ohm speakers work fine with them. What hardware is correct for attaching the bracket to the back of the dash and how was the speaker attached to the bracket back in the day?

Thanks, Doug

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by dvancleve on Mon May 30, 2016 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Wolfsburg west sells the speaker bracket.part 211805205

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Wolfsburg west sells the speaker bracket.part 211805205

That part number starts with a "2", it is for bus and only bus.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Embarassed went to the catalog and looked up speaker bracket....Who Knew Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

What fits would depend on manufacture of the radio kit being fitted and year the VW was produced.

Here is some from the 1960s found in the Gallery thru a search for "Speaker":

The first three numerals of every VW parts number shows which VW it was originally designed for. First numeral shows if it was for type 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. Second and third number shows model. Here is a few examples, 141 is type 1 Ghia convertible LHD, 114 Beetle deluxe export model RHD, 111 Beetle standard model LHD, 151 Beetle convertible, 261 VW Pick-up (Side panel lid right, LHD).

The fourth number designates which of the ten chapters it is included in:

1 = Engine
2 = Fuel Tank, Exhaust System, Heater Pipes (and Eberspacher gas heater)
3 = Transmission
4 = Front Axle Steering
5 = Rear Axle
6 = Road Wheels, Brakes
7 = Frame, Hand Lever System, Pedal Cluster
8 = Body
9 = Electrical
0 = Accessories
There were also part numbers that started with "ZVW" instead of the numerals that were accessories that one could order at the dealership.

The remaining numbers are the actual part number and if followed by a letter suffix it is an improved part or totally new part that might not fit with the adjoining older parts.

If you know a part is for one side only, it will end in an odd numeral for LHD driver side and even numeral if passenger.

While a lot of type 1 parts were used in the type 2 and type 3. Very little type 2 parts were used in the type 1.
meredith murray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem not realizing how the speakers were mounted. I have a WW repo and two Bendex ones as can be seen in the photo.

I'm guessing the bracket is for a bigger speaker as both of these are the same size as the inner mounting holes, or correct if mounted directly to the dash?

WW Speaker fitting inside bracket, not correct right?

The Bendix is just a bit too big to fit inside but not big enough for the outside mounting holes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SirTimTIm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

I used a 3" Bose speaker that fit nice with little modification.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

meredith murray wrote:

Right...that's not correct. The speaker needs to mount to the wider hole pattern up on the flange. The WW speaker does not work with the stock bracket. A simple adapter can be made to mount the smaller speaker using a flat sheet of 1/16" thick aluminum with the center cut out and two sets of holes drilled in...one set to match the speaker and one to match the bracket.

hopkin wrote:
You could try a VW of Mexico one, these photos were posted by Parts VW (Antonio Trejo). I don't know if they are still available.

BTW...that speaker is for a Karmann Ghia. Maybe later Beetles or other models too...not sure.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.goodspeed wrote:
To use the bracket, you need a 6" pin cushion speaker. Here is a link to a great quality 8 OHM speaker. It fits perfectly, and sound terrific.

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

To all of you that are using 4 ohm speakers on your old Sapphire radios. You are shortening the life of your units. They were designed for 8 ohm speakers and the small amplifier only has a few watts of output. So by cutting the impedance and using a 4 ohm speaker, you are cutting the amplifier output in half. So you now have to turn up the volume, thus creating more heat and stress to the amplifier. Heat kills these units. The 6" turn switch speaker fits the bracket perfectly and produces a good clean sound!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meredith murray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

[quote="rcooled"]
meredith murray wrote:

Right...that's not correct. The speaker needs to mount to the wider hole pattern up on the flange. The WW speaker does not work with the stock bracket. A simple adapter can be made to mount the smaller speaker using a flat sheet of 1/16" thick aluminum with the center cut out and two sets of holes drilled in...one set to match the speaker and one to match the bracket.

Thanks for the info, that's as I thought so now it's confirmed.

I will be installing one of my Bendex speakers directly to the speaker opening and not using the bracket.
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Hello

I just bought a working (restored) 1961/1962 Blaupunkt Frankfurt TR Deluxe Radio Series E for my 1963 Vw Bug/Beetle. This is a Tube Radio.

The Radio in mint condition, everything is good and turn well, also have all professionally inspected and Do Test well, both in AM and FM too. Many hours of endurance testing. All elements (lighting, station keys etc.) function reliably.

I am thinking to Add modern Loudspeaker for Front and Rear at the Back of my Rear seat.

My questions:
Is the Modern speakers ( most 4 Ohm ) will damage my Radio? I just found information that tells that ( https://www.vintageblau.com/installation-.html ). It says: " Speakers should be 8 ohm through the late 1970's. Using 4 ohm speakers will damage the radio over time. Speaker wattage should be kept relatively low and factory specs are always best."

What exactly factory VW Loudspeakers 'Technical Spec Information' should be?

Has someone here have experience with that?

What do you suggest for my situation?

Appreciate for all your answers

thank's
best rgrds
daru
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564692&highlight=blaupunkt+speaker
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564692&highlight=blaupunkt+speaker

Hi Eric&Barb

Thank You
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West sells a 4 ohm speaker..
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

65 Sunroof wrote:
Wolfsburg West sells a 4 ohm speaker..

Hello, thks

I just worried that 4 ohm speakers will damage my radio. If anyone here has experience I will appreciate

thks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Couldn't one solder-in a separate 4-ohm resistor into the wire to the speaker, then with the 4-ohms of the speaker it would be 8 ohms total? Or am I forgetting something from my 1971 Physics class?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Couldn't one solder-in a separate 4-ohm resistor into the wire to the speaker, then with the 4-ohms of the speaker it would be 8 ohms total? Or am I forgetting something from my 1971 Physics class?

Hi.., I'm not expert in electricity Smile
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

I had to jump into the way back machine when I used to dabble in car audio and then google it to be be sure. When you wire speakers in series it increases ohm load. When you wire in parallel it decreases ohm load. So if you have an 8ohm radio and you are using two 4 ohm speakers, simply wire them in series and you’ll get the correct load.

https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/2..._site=true
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I had to jump into the way back machine when I used to dabble in car audio and then google it to be be sure. When you wire speakers in series it increases ohm load. When you wire in parallel it decreases ohm load. So if you have an 8ohm radio and you are using two 4 ohm speakers, simply wire them in series and you’ll get the correct load.

https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/2..._site=true

Hi Sharp64,

Thank's, that's great article!
Clear info for wiring multiple speakers, in Series and Parallel way, or combined of them. Yes it tells the speakers resistance (impedance) load is additive (series) or decreases (parallel).

Yes, this will makes me clear to wire my 2 speakers to an old tube blaupunkt's radio.

best rgrds
daru
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What speaker fits the old VW bracket? Reply with quote

Daru- I was mistaken. WW sells a 8 ohm speaker..

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=SPEAKER
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: