Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange size hole in case
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

What's up with the small opening into the case and the louvers facing upwards. They don't fit down into the opening like they should. Is this something different? I've never seen this before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Rich
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

Old 40 horse case. Louvers installed incorrect.
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

Older 40 hp case. Pre '64 I believe. VW made a deflector "tower" for these cases.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

Okay, knew the louvers were installed incorrectly. Interesting that this is a 40h case. My brother is running it in his 70's Baja bug. He has a alternator and alternator stand. Any work around? Need to seal that stand up right.

-Rich
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

Case Sn. H6634263. Isn't that a 1500 bus engine? '65?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

Idk what baffle goes on a 40, but you should spin that one 180 so the louvers point toward the #4 cylinder instead of #2.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

Oh duh, I wasn't thinking. That baffle won't fit the small hole case. That's why it is put on upside down.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Idk what baffle goes on a 40, but you should spin that one 180 so the louvers point toward the #4 cylinder instead of #2.

Are you sure?
The service book indicates a different scenario.

Op good luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

That case takes an OLD style baffle.
Evidently some goof has installed the wrong thing in there. It doesen't fit because it's not supposed to fit. You could use it if you enlarged the hoel to match.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

like these

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Strange size hole in case Reply with quote

Simple: Put a standard baffle on, upside down like it was. Then get a stainless steel pot scrubber and stuff inside the alternator stand before installing. The pot scrubber will stop oil drops from slinging out of the oil filler neck and the stock baffle will prevent the scrubber from falling further down into the case.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: