Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Quote:
Some manufacturers like Lexus would have replaced the entire sunroof at no charge just so there's not an unsatisfied customer making waves, better for business in the long run...

Especially since they already raped you for paying 2x for a Toyota... Laughing
bruceduykers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Well..im waiting for Roy H. Re o on the 1600 engine...cant wait til new mechanic puts it in the 66..hope it breaks in well. Roy told me all what to do. All is good so far...will know in a week how the new “heart trnasplant “ will be.
Might sell it tho...ad im not a big yellow color...altho great finish. Bruce.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

bruceduykers wrote:
Well..im waiting for Roy H. Re o on the 1600 engine...cant wait til new mechanic puts it in the 66..hope it breaks in well. Roy told me all what to do. All is good so far...will know in a week how the new “heart trnasplant “ will be.

Sounds like a fine plan-------who could resist buying a car with a fresh MOFOCO engine? Wink
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

bruceduykers wrote:

I’m confused. I thought this was a “performance motor”? It’s just a 1600.

So you bought a car that had an engine failure out of warranty, got the builder to fix it for free other than parts and now you’re selling it? You can’t make crap like this up. Rolling Eyes
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
So you bought a car that had an engine failure out of warranty, got the builder to fix it for free other than parts and now you’re selling it? You can’t make crap like this up. Rolling Eyes

That bothered me as well....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

bruceduykers wrote:
...I have a beautuful 66 vw that I can’t drive....
...I hope to own this 66 a long time...

bruceduykers wrote:
Might sell it tho...ad im not a big yellow color...
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Sell it and buy a Toyundai.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

X3.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

X3.

X4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Sounds like Roy got a defective cam, and then the mechanic—or owner— began fiddling with it. Messing with the carb, perhaps installing plugs too loosely, etc.

Apparently, the owner rarely drove the car, so it took years for the real issues to become apparent. A new owner comes along—one who actually wants to drive the car—and here the adventure begins.

My only question is this: can an engine run with a broken cam?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Only time I've seen a broken cam is when there was a catastrophic failure and a rod hit it but maybe one could break in another way.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Yeah, this is getting.....I don't want to even say it.

Obviously, My father(50 years) and me(30 years) have seen tons of failures. Here at Mofoco, we've collectively taken apart 15,000-20,000 engines. We have never seen such a neat and tidy broken cam. There was absolutely no other damage to the engine. Crank, rods, lifters, pistons and cylinder....all perfectly good.

This was an OE German reground cam(not like one that was reground 10 times, this one had plenty of base circle on it)

I really can't explain why it broke. I don't think it was all the mistakes that were made during and after the installation process. I think it was just completely random. I do believe the broken cam actually SAVED the engine because eventually the engine would have grenaded due to all the misadjustments.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Is there any chance that something could have fallen through the distributor hole & lodged between the cam & crank gears? Maybe a piece of the fuel pump spacer that was soft enough to not scar the cam gear.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Denny B wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

X3.

X4

X5

Rather curious that now that you got a "free" engine rebuilt you will want to sell the car. specially since you bullied your way into the free labor by posting it here for all to see and having MOFOCO feel obligated into fixing it.
Sounds extremely shady to me. Hopefully the new owner will be a more "stand up" person.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
and crickets….Does truly show the depth of character of the OP doesn't it?

Total douche nozzle move. Bitch about a supplier on a public forum, rave about the car you want to keep forever and then when it's fixed put it up for sale with a rebuilt engine because you don't like the colour.....maybe he should drag the paint shop through the mud and get it re-sprayed in a colour he likes.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Yeah, this is getting.....I don't want to even say it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wonder if the cam was dropped at some point with the gear riveted to it and it put a stress crack in it that finally gave out.

brad
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

I’ve seen a bunch broken just like that. Years ago a friend of mine traveled the US buying core engines which he would disassemble and sell cores. Most of the common stock worn cams went for scrap and he he got good at breaking them by banging against a table causing them to break just like that. Then steel went into one pile and the gear into aluminum mag pile, yes the steel flange was stuck because he never bother to drill out rivets. I think it’s quite possible to drop and induce a crack which turned into a break.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’ve seen a bunch broken just like that. Years ago a friend of mine traveled the US buying core engines which he would disassemble and sell cores. Most of the common stock worn cams went for scrap and he he got good at breaking them by banging against a table causing them to break just like that. Then steel went into one pile and the gear into aluminum mag pile, yes the steel flange was stuck because he never bother to drill out rivets. I think it’s quite possible to drop and induce a crack which turned into a break.

Oh, sure-----I s'pose next you're gonna tell us that you have a yellow Beetle. Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Yep, actually I use that technique to intentionally break cams that are junk so no one can try to use them again. I kind of flip them up in the air and when they hit the concrete, the snap right there. Never seen it happen in the engine before like this though.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
and crickets….Does truly show the depth of character of the OP doesn't it?

Total douche nozzle move. Bitch about a supplier on a public forum, rave about the car you want to keep forever and then when it's fixed put it up for sale with a rebuilt engine because you don't like the colour.....maybe he should drag the paint shop through the mud and get it re-sprayed in a colour he likes.

brad

Not that anyone here would be interested in this flying banana:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2230751
Must be nice to get a new motor for your flip.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: