Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fixed wrong year fender
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

This 1970 Ghia had the wrong year fender and was poorly installed. I think the fender was a 69 or later. Because the previous installer had to cut a new hole for the turn signal. It is was crooked and in the wrong place. There were also pieces of the original fender leftover, one near the bottom of the door and a piece of fender bead left inside the fender. The door didn’t fit right so he sliced the fender at the opening leaving the pieces hanging inside. You can see in one of pictures that channel for the hood gasket is smashed over and only spot welded in a couple of places to hold it in. If you look at the head light bucket. It’s also smashed over to hold it in. I Had to remove lots of bondo to reveal that instead of fixing the rusted areas the holes were just fill with bondo. He also left so much of the tire well section open to elements that it rusted out most of the lower section and rocker panel.

To fix another problem area on this ghia I purchased this partial fender along with the right rear section. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692927&highlight= I decided to get it because the hood channel was complete. Because I purchased this partial fender, I used a section of the old fender to fill in the gap. Along with a replacement patch panel for the lower section. Because the way the medal was bending I had to cut the section of the old fender into three pieces. To get the shape of the fender back to normal.
Did the best I could. Since I don’t have an English wheel or the skill to make a fender. It took six pieces to put this fender back together. Now to begin the lead work and the task of recreating the peak and valley of the fender and door. To get that signature ghia look.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by morgan8899 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

The things we do for love.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

Now what?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

I’ve replaced all the rusted area’s. I wanted to get it to good base starting point before adding the fun stuff.

In November I’ll pick up the suspension for AirKelwd. I think I’ll reverse the hood. Might even make it electric since I bought it without an engine.
morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

So, the damage to the left side is more extensive then realized. After further assessment it looks like the original collision to the left front fender caused the forward door jam to move in and up. Pushed the rocker/heater channel to move in and up. Wrinkle the dash underneath the steering column (future picture to come). And snap the steering column bracket. I originally thought the bracket was broken because the pervious owner had lost the keys and broke it trying to move the steering wheel.

Since I’m a novice to body work, my attempts at, what I thought was the problem, were futile. (ok not that bad, but feels like it)
For instance, the door wasn’t hanging right. So, I had the hinges refurbished. That fixed the play issue but not the angle. It wasn’t lining up with the body lines. This I assumed had to be addressed first before I reconstructed the fender.
A replacement door jam and all its corresponding parts were not readily available. And, I do not have the tools to pull/stretch the body back into shape. Which is why I decided to modify the door hinge mounts.
I cut out the hinge bolt plate and trim off the bottom part. (No pics, sorry) Elongated the bolt holes and notched the bottom part of the jam so the hinge would sit lower. Then welded it all back into place. This fixed the door alignment.

Now for the working backwards part. I had already repaired the heater channel and replace the rocker. Surprise, it was to high and inward on the bottom of the door.

At this point I still didn’t realize the rocker/heater channel was push in. It’s on a slight curve. It’s not noticeable looking at it from the top down. It wasn’t until I rotated the body on its side, when I was working on another section, that I saw the curve. Insert “F” bomb here.

Thinking I just installed the rocker wrong I persuaded to move it down with heat and a long 2x4. That got it closer, but still not perfect. So, I cut it into four sections and move those sections into the right positions. Add a thin layer of body filler to smooth it out and it’s good to go.

Insert more “F” bombs here. That curve is going in! The frame with it’s new pans won’t fit. I’m going to have to cut the rocker again to relieve the pressure. Then using a jack mounted against the horn to persuade the heater channel (with the mounting bolt holes) to straighten out.

I need to put a laser line on it, but it looks like a 1/4”. Just enough that if I ignore it you would see it.

That’s my plan. I welcome any suggestions.

Last edited by morgan8899 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

Concur, more F bombs. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

Kudos to you for finding solutions. As a fellow novice I feel your pain.

...we're all in this together,

Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

As someone who has replaced the heater channels with the body off but has not put it back on yet, this is a bit of a concern to me as well. I did a lot of measuring and checking but it is difficult to know for sure, particularly when using repro panels for both the heater channels and floor pans. I have not replaced the outer rocker panels yet so hopefully have a little wiggle room with respect to the door gaps if there is an issue.

In general body work on a Ghia is not easy because you can’t just unbolt and replace panels like on most other cars. But replacing Ghia heater channels is particularly tricky to make sure you do it right. Ideally you would do a trial fit of the body back on the pan before welding the heater channels but this is not easy. The alternative is to rely on the bracing at the doors, but the body is flexible when not sitting on the chassis at the normal mounting locations.

Keep up the good work Morgan!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow is right, I think. The panelbeater guy (Phillip) who replaced the heater channels on my Ghia was ultra-careful. He braced the door openings before he cut out the original rusted channels. Then he provisionally installed the replacement channels and put the body back on the chassis to make sure everything lined up. We did this twice before he was satisfied. Only then did he complete the welding.

I think the replacement of the heater channels is perhaps the trickiest job on our Ghias and I doff my hat in your direction for tackling this job on your own.
morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I think the replacement of the heater channels is perhaps the trickiest job on our Ghias and I doff my hat in your direction for tackling this job on your own.

I didn’t replace heater channel. It wasn’t as bad as the rest rocker panel. It was the orginal accident that put a bend in it.
Looking back when I lifted the body off, it got hung up on the drivers side. That should have been my first clue that there was an issue.
morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

So here are the pictures of the left and right side of the Ghia. The green laser line shows that the rocker is pushed in on the left side but the bolt holes are still stright. When I get around to mounting the body back on the pan I will try to push it over. If not I'll cut and re-weld.

Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

Very interesting thread to follow. Thank you for that. I love the rotisserie. Could you show a couple of detail shots as to how you have the body mounted? And what laser did you use?

Olli
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

morgan8899 wrote:

Olli from NJ wrote:
Very interesting thread to follow. Thank you for that. I love the rotisserie. Could you show a couple of detail shots as to how you have the body mounted? And what laser did you use?

Olli

Have you considered using ...

... Lazer brand green string?

Wink

Seriously, those photos featuring the clever use of the laser made me realize just how much of a dinosaur I truly must be. Embarassed

Morgan, earlier you mentioned that perhaps you might install an electric drivetrain.
Have you seen Volkswagen's next generation modular electric platform yet?

If cost were no object, that would be a pretty sweet and elegant solution for converting vintage VWs over to electric power.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for taking the time to document and share your progress, challenges and solutions - very inspirational.
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fixed wrong year fender Reply with quote

This thread hits kind of close to home. I'm getting my stalled 62 project back in a couple of weeks, and it's been hit on the front drivers side. The doors looked like they hung right, but the rear door jam is pushed back on the driver's side. I'm really been second guessing my decision to restore this one rather than the 63 I have as a parts car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: