Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ???
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motox166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

Well, my used used heads were different than I thought I was getting. I don't think th PO knew what he had. He sold them as a standard L5.

Specs that I have verified:
94mm bore
40x35 valves = L5
76 or 77cc intake runners = L7
64cc chambers
Aircooled.net CNC'd in large print on the bottom fin.
049 castings

Ports have not been touched since CNC'd from the looks of it.

Was this a mistake somehow that got out the door? Did someone install smaller valves after new?
Is this some secret racers trick: venturi effect with the medium size ports tapering down towards the smallish 40mm valve.
I'm told by the PO that these are circa 2014.

Should I go bigger valves to match the runners?
If so what size? Having a local a vw machinist do the work, so is it worth the cost over buying new Panchitos for $600-700? BTW, paid $400.

Building a:
86c w/ 1.4s - thinking 106 LC?
10:1
Dual 44s
1 5/8 exhaust or 1 3/4?
7500 or 8000 max rpm
Vw650 springs, Ti retainers
As41 mag with bushed lifter bores, full flow
Bugpack crank, pauter rods

Shooting for 180hp+ at the crank.

Last edited by motox166 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motox166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

Mine Vs CB Super Mag Plus
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

Those are CNC L5s from DRD and they did have a lot larger intake port volume than his previously hand ported heads.

Alstrup would be the best to comment on performance, but for running an 86C I would think you would be better off with different heads.
motox166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Those are CNC L5s from DRD and they did have a lot larger intake port volume than his previously hand ported heads.

Alstrup would be the best to comment on performance, but for running an 86C I would think you would be better off with different heads.

Ok, that's good to know.

K8,86b,fk45 or k10 maybe with my heads?
Or
86c with X heads?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2132519
?
motox166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

motox166 wrote:
74 Thing wrote:

Ok, that's good to know.

K8,86b,fk45 or k10 maybe with my heads?
Or
86c with X heads?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2132519
?

Or these?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1898509
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

I am not sure what you are looking to do, but with an 86C I would also want 48 carbs, maybe a bigger header, and look at CB Performance Super Pros (you can get them set up with 650 springs and TI retainers), and some ported manifolds with 10.5ish compression ratio.

I would not waste my time with a used set of heads-by the time you go through them with a valve job and new springs and retainers you would have spent a lot of money plus probably left a lot of power on the table compared to some of CBs new cnc heads.

So if I was in your shoes and wanted to run that 86c I would sell your 44 carbs and L5 heads and apply those funds towards 48s and better CB heads.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

There is no way those intake ports are 77cc's.

Before you make changes, I would cc those intakes for real this time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motox166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
There is no way those intake ports are 77cc's.

Before you make changes, I would cc those intakes for real this time.

Right, I was thinking maybe my method was off until the chambers came out spot on.
I measured 76cc. And they do seem to compare in looks to other 75-78cc heads.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

The bowl is on the large side. Thatīs why they donīt look like the have that much intake port volume.
The exhaust side is ok for high rpm. The intake ports will make the engine rev high, but it wohīnt make the power you are aiming at.
If you want to use those heads you could replace the intakes to 42 mm and leave the exhaust as is. Reshape the lower intake bowl to the new seat and basicly leave the upper port alone apart from maybe a slight straightening up of the long radius. but only 1 to 1,5 mm. This will restore the port velocity and bring the I/E ratio somewhat down. That means that with say an 86C you will get an I/E ratio that is a tad on the low side. Thatīs not especially good if you want to make power to 8000. On the other hand it will be very good for bringing in the usable power in the lower part of the rpm band and the midrange torque will be phenomenal. If John @ ACN still carries the A1 step headers this is where you would want one. 1 5/8 going into 1 3/4" Then you can reach the 180 hp at approx 67-6800 rpm. Shift point at about 7200. At 11-1 on premium fuel I wouldīnt be surprised if it pulled 250 Nm torque.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

Your heads:

Now DRD L5 heads:

Now DRD L7 heads:

The L7 is a totally different shape also. CC those for real, and I bet you don't get 77 cc's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

Yeah. On a second glance, are those L5īs CNC ported?? I just checked my templates. The port shape is different from the ones I have modified. - maybe an early version (?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motox166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Yeah. On a second glance, are those L5īs CNC ported?? I just checked my templates. The port shape is different from the ones I have modified. - maybe an early version (?)

Ok, you all sound right. So I'll have my guy look them over and CC them. They are CNC ported.

The runners taper down from large cross sectional area to small at the bowl. I've noticed that about them before I CC'd them. It does make sense to me that they could really use a larger intake valve and then open up the bowl to match.

What's a good cam for these heads if I leave them as they are with a max RPM of 7000?

Anyone care to chime in on the 2 different wedge ports for sale in the links?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

His angle is different than what Jeff posted. They look like they might be the same.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

Regarding the links you posted....

My experience with welded/ported/hotrodded VW casting heads is constant issues with cracking and seats falling out. To me I would not go down that road.

The other link has some heads that could work decent, but for that amount of cash why not buy some CB wedgeports/super pros that are for sure gonna give you the 180+ horsepower?

The 44's are gonna hinder your potential. You have a choice, build a engine around those 44's or step up. If you dont want to go 48 idfs, do all of what Alstrup said if you have a porter with talent. But then your spending money again also......
motox166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Regarding the links you posted....

My experience with welded/ported/hotrodded VW casting heads is constant issues with cracking and seats falling out. To me I would not go down that road.

The other link has some heads that could work decent, but for that amount of cash why not buy some CB wedgeports/super pros that are for sure gonna give you the 180+ horsepower?

The 44's are gonna hinder your potential. You have a choice, build a engine around those 44's or step up. If you dont want to go 48 idfs, do all of what Alstrup said if you have a porter with talent. But then your spending money again also......

Perfect! Thanks Jpaull! Just the input I was looking for.
Haven't bought the carbs or cam yet. I'm open to 48s, just don't want IDAs.

So then, wedge ports or super pros? I've been considering them for months now anyways. But wanted to see if it made sense to get by with less.

Max hp under 7500 rpms and at least 180hp so I can beat my buddy in a drag race.
Sounds like wedge ports would do the trick? And 86c the ideal cam or something different?
This is my first VW build and I've got some good local guidance, but looking for a broader perspective.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

The DRD L7s look better to me. They have left more of the material at the bases of the valve guides. Taking that material out completely may improve flow, but the valve guides and the head itself wont last as long.
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

I am thinking new CB wedge ports w/44valve and a 86b or CB 2288 k-8 with 48mm carbs for nice street motor
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

Starting with the cb heads give some nice advantages over the others. The heart shape chamber in the 044s i like much better then the Peanut shaped chambers in the Panchitos and other heads you been pondering.

If your willing to invest in a set of 044 Super pros or wedgeports, I would email CB and tell them what your doing and they will give you great advice. Its a wise move to step up to 48idfs, and a set of the new 044 heads if you wanna beat your buddy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Do you already have the crank?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

If you want to go wedge port with 2165 cc displacement I would listen to what Pat has to say. Initially you would want a cam with something like 105ish ilc. Not sure that the 86c is the best choice here.
Cb has several cam in that range. I' m sure one of them will suit your combo and desires.

T
motox166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Heads L5/L7 from Aircooled.net ??? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Starting with the cb heads give some nice advantages over the others. The heart shape chamber in the 044s i like much better then the Peanut shaped chambers in the Panchitos and other heads you been pondering.

If your willing to invest in a set of 044 Super pros or wedgeports, I would email CB and tell them what your doing and they will give you great advice. Its a wise move to step up to 48idfs, and a set of the new 044 heads if you wanna beat your buddy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Do you already have the crank?

Not yet, but I've committed to the crank and rods. A local long time VW drag racer is giving me a great deal on them. I didn't want to go any longer on the stroke for ease of clearancing.
And I was planning on using the L5s and wanted to get some RPMs out of them and a longer stroke would shift the RPM range down. At least that was my thinking.

So basically so far all I have is a block that is ready to go, and I'll pick up the bugpack crank and Pauter rods this week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: