Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'follow me' airport beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

looking at the pics of this '55 oval in the classifieds I immediately thought of those 'follow me' airport beetles in the 50s/60s - could this be the remains one of them?
as a diy custom job this would take a lot of effort to convert, finding the right shaped glass/perspex for the curvature etc. I can only find pics of a split based car on the web - what do others think...?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2218397

having emailed the owner he has confirmed the window is glass, has no history of the car yet has added the words follow me into the ad's heading
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

Cool looking bug. Seems like the glass was installed upside down when compared to the other picture.
Good price.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

In the early 1990's I translated several articles from the German VW magazine "Gute Fahrt" for the Vintage VW Club of America. The articles came out for many years in the monthly editions, written by Hans-Joachim Klersey. The 1-pagers covered many rare, coachbuilt or conversion-bodied VWs from the '40's thru '60's. One of them was for the "Follow Me" Beetle. I vaguely remember a very similar photo as the original yellow Beetle. I don't remember which company made these conversions. Purpose was for the Beetle to meet the landing plane at the runway after it stopped and lead it to the airport terminal. Size of the rear window enabled the driver and/or passenger to look up to the pilot in the plane at a steep angle. I've never seen an actual Follow Me Beetle in current photos. Too bad the seller of this Beetle did not include a photo of the instrument panel.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

what would a photo of the dash reveal? I'll ask him for one
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

Just to show what was changed. The ad mentioned "the dash are also modified and cut". I don't remember a photo of the original dashboard in the Gute Fahrt article. But with so many other exterior changes to the car, it's likely the dash was also modified by many previous owners since the FollowMe original conversion was performed.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

he has sent me a photo of the dash but it has been cut out completely and customised Shocked - however there is what appears to be a large bracket where the rear view mirror would have mounted which might be 'original'. I would expect a follow me to have a larger than standard mirror set-up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

Just for reference, here's a split window (or maybe an oval if you go by the tail lights) that was made into a follow me Bug :

1964 Chop Top
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

Thanks for getting and posting that dashboard shot, finster. Reminds me of a small airplane cockpit inspiration.

The follow me Beetle with the pretty gal could play Herbie and follow her around!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
Just for reference, here's a split window (or maybe an oval if you go by the tail lights) that was made into a follow me Bug :

It's a split. Other pictures of that car show the open bin of one of the glove boxes. It also has split bumpers, one piece windows and 16" wheels. The tail lights would have had to have been updated at some point.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

banana split wrote:

She's stunning Cool
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
banana split wrote:

She's stunning 8)

She looks like The Joker
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

I'll bet the car wasn't still a 6 volt electrical system. In fact, it may have needed an auxiliary generator or an additional generator mounted in the engine compartment and driven by the engine.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 'follow me' airport beetle? Reply with quote

you're right - they had an extra generator set-up something like this

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: