Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab? Reply with quote

Wondered where this Barndoor truck ended up. It was found around the Spokane airport in the '80's. Bought by the goof Gary Kimes and left in the field for 7 years or so. Sometime in early '90's, it was parted, in place, by some other guy, roof cut off etc... Gary found out about it, tracked the parts down and finally towed truck to his place in Harrison, Idaho.

In '94-'95, I offered to weld roof on for Gary, he declined.

You keeping the rear canopy on?

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab? Reply with quote

Last I saw it rolling away it was headed to Utah.
Grandpa's Goodies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab? Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:

You keeping the rear canopy on?

Thanks for a little more history on the bus! I had heard bits and pieces of the it but no real time frames on its past or anything about Gary.

I am keeping the camper shell and side door for now. the roof and semaphore posts just got welded back together two weeks ago.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OUCH !!!!!!!! d'oh! d'oh! Brick wall Brick wall

That poor truck ... Sad

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab? Reply with quote

It was modified 40-50 years ago, when it was just another POS old VW. Only now do we ascribe an elevated status to them.

That said, the mods are actually pretty neat. That door is great access to the camping area.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab? Reply with quote

This is the same truck that Jimmy almost went to jail over? That's a crazy story...kinda glad I never met Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab? Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
This is the same truck that Jimmy almost went to jail over? That's a crazy story...kinda glad I never met Gary

Yes.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab? Reply with quote

I was chewing the fat with The Lind yesterday, he mentioned this Barndoor truck would be a great Binz conversion. Sounds like too much responsibility for me. Either way, cool truck.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: