Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for some help- Emission Sticker
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abigdumkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Looking for some help- Emission Sticker Reply with quote

So I have an odd request. Short story long, I had some engine work done and the person who did the work "cleaned up" the engine by spray painting a lot of the tins black. Honest mistake and I hold no grudge. My fan shroud used to have the original emission sticker and the factory stamps of "158" and that weird "IO" in white. I was wondering if anyone had those stamps and could send me a straight on picture of them and their dimensions. I would like to re create them. I did find a replacement emission sticker. Thank you in advance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for some help- Emission Sticker Reply with quote

Search: tin stamp, "fan shroud stencil", “in ordnung”, or “potato stamp”
Every Vw forum on Samba has had the discussion. Some threads have dimension pics to make a new potato stamp.

Last edited by PolarBearVW on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for some help- Emission Sticker Reply with quote

If the helpful person just used plain old spray paint (as opposed to powder coating or some other such more durable finish), then you may be able to carefully strip the new paint off without damaging the OG paint below.

Check out this Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint thread for helpful hints on stripping paint.

Of course, that's assuming they didn't rough up or sand down the old surface prior to refreshing the paint.
74 Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some help- Emission Sticker Reply with quote

I have seen these stickers for sale in the Samba Classifieds - Ghia Parts
Abigdumkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some help- Emission Sticker Reply with quote

Thank you. I did buy the sticker sold in the classifieds. It is just spray paint on the tins. I'll try the paint removal first. Hunting thru the images isn't giving me what I need so I'll haveto figure something out.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for some help- Emission Sticker Reply with quote

Abigdumkid wrote:
Thank you. I did buy the sticker sold in the classifieds. It is just spray paint on the tins. I'll try the paint removal first. Hunting thru the images isn't giving me what I need so I'll haveto figure something out.

Not sure if this is the type of painted letters/numbers on the engine tin you are looking for, but I found these images in the old thread 1970 Engine Bay restoring to original- a few questions ...

Abigdumkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some help- Emission Sticker Reply with quote

Thank you. That gives me a clearer shot of the numbers to try and figure out the font. I'll have to try and figure out the size.
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for some help- Emission Sticker Reply with quote

Wanted my newly built 2 liter engine look stock so I made my own "sticker".
Used a dishcloth and a piece of wood and made my own stamp. Worked fine I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for some help- Emission Sticker Reply with quote

Burman wrote:
Wanted my newly built 2 liter engine look stock so I made my own "sticker".
Used a dishcloth and a piece of wood and made my own stamp. Worked fine I think.

Worked fine, indeed. Smile

Very clever solution, and a damn good outcome.
Nicely done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: