Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kmorey - [email protected] - Ken Morey
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: kmorey
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: March 31, 2020
cveldman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: kmorey - [email protected] - Ken Morey Reply with quote

Moderator notes:
Posting removed by person by request after it was resolved.

Please see below for other feedback postings.
Fierce Gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: kmorey - [email protected] - Ken Morey Reply with quote

AKA [email protected]

Buyer beware: Do NOT give your money to Ken Morey

This jerk ripped me off. He placed an ad with a lot of lies and omissions and told me several more lies on the phone to convince me to send him a deposit and fly out to Vancouver. Needless to say the van was in really crappy condition. I honestly couldn't find anything about it that seemed to function properly except the engine.

here are the details..

Username kmorey (Ken Morey) of Langley BC has several vehicles for sale. I was interested in one, which is currently advertised on this site. By phone we had much discussion of the vehicle. Phrases he used were "very clean", "excellent shape", and "one of the best he's ever seen".

These statements are subjective and not necessarily easy to disprove, although I have looked at a lot of Westy's in all conditions, and am restoring one of my own. I would not use any of those terms to describe a van with rusted through sheet metal below the fenders, extremely advanced undercarriage rust, bumpers that literally flop around on loose bolts, an interior plagued with loose wires & badly installed junk accessories, and cabinet doors that either won't open or won't close. The passenger seat does not even latch down properly. I would describe the van as rough, but restore-able. Again, subjective.

Furthermore, text taken directly from his ad reads:

"vehicle has an great body.. ..Perhaps one of the best on the market. ...Everything works! ...Pop-up top (sleep 2) is in a great shape. ...it is presently registered in my name."

The body is far from great. Much of the lower sheet metal appears to need work. Beneath the seat the body seem is rusted right through. there are many dint dings and blemishes, which are not the end of the world but also do not qualify as "great body". The fibreglass luggage rack on top is damaged with holes drilled into it and the attachment screws and few tied downs still intact are rusted nearly out of existence. Emblems are missing. Utility door panels are damaged. The van was repainted recently in bright red for some reason, I suspect to hide damages or repairs. The pain job is very poor and not the work of a professional.
The bumpers literally rattle and flop around loosely on loose, rusted, or broken bolts.

I have looked at four sycro's in the past four months, his is by far in the worst condition of all of them. It is most certainly not even close to the best on the market.

Everything does not work. I tried the sink and it didn't work. Looking underneath the storage panned it appeared to be disconnected. At this point I knew I wasn't going to buy this piece of crap so I quit testing the other components and features.

The poptop is NOT in great shape. There is no folding lift bar and the top is now sprung up with aftermarket lifting shocks. the roof is strapped down with a very shoddy and unreliable buckle webbing system. The rear hinges are severely damaged and must be replaced. I can only assume they have either been over-sprung by wind or something forceful, or that something forced the roof up from the inside, perhaps over-packing of the rear bed space. It has what appears to be an aftermarket hood vent.

Finally, this van is not registered. I don't doubt he is the owner, but in Canada when we say registered we mean by the insuring body of our province. By claiming it is registered in his name he is stating that it has passed an import vehicle inspection. It has not and it will not. There are too many issues. They could be dealt with, but he has not done so. On the phone I made a comment about BC registration which he deflected. I did not realize that it was actually unregistered.

By making all of these claims about superior quality and condition compared to any other Westy on the market this man was able to convince me to put down a small deposit and buy a plane ticket to pick it up. As soon as I laid eyes on this van it was clear that it had serious issues and needed a tremendous amount of work. The seller claims that I do not know what I am talking about. As a certified mechanic, and an owner several recreational vehicles - including a 91 Westy that is currently in the end stages of extensive restoration and modifications, I think I have some idea.

The seller insists that I do not know anything about Westy's. He insists that he has not been dishonest, despite his ad still being up with glaring lies. He insists that his van is worth MORE than what he was willing to sell it to me for, but that I cost him his opportunity to sell at that price and so he will not refund my deposit.

Anyone considering buying from this guy should be aware, he is a dishonest, high pressure salesman and he will say anything to convince you to part with your money. Make sure you check everything thoroughly. He will lie about the condition of things. He will try to convince you not to trust yourself. He say anything he can to make you think what he is selling you is worth more than it is. Do not trust what he says, and do not give him any money until you are sure that you know EXACTLY what you are paying for.

At the time of this posting his ad is still up, along with several others:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=kmorey
Fierce Gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Update on kmorey - [email protected] - Ken Morey Reply with quote

I've been contacted by another gentleman who says that Ken Morey told him this red 1991 Syncro is in mint condition and that he should put down a deposit to secure it, then fly out to pick it up. At this time of this posting (April 10) that was a day ago. One can't be sure, but it sure looks like a pattern of overselling and then keeping the deposit when the customer realizes they can't possibly pay $40,000 for such a beat up van - until someone actually does succumb to pressure and pay that inflated price. Ken Morey also has at least one son buying and selling Westy's, but I don't think it is necessary to name him here. As far as I know he has done nothing wrong. I've been contacted by a buyer in Eastern Canada who has also paid a deposit to secure a Westfalia with him, sight unseen. Hopefully things go better in that deal.

Nevertheless, Ken might try and continue his pattern by selling through his son, so watch for this red Syncro. He might also repaint and repost it. It had a crap paint job on it when I saw it.

Be warned.
kmorey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: kmorey - [email protected] - Ken Morey Reply with quote

The real storey.

The true facts about this feedback.

I regards to this guy Fierce Gears posting his statement is false.

The vehicle he promised to buy is a great vehicle. Its a beautiful 1991 turbo diesel in great condition for the year. it has a very new motor and a is a low milage vehicle with about 100k miles.

This is a vehicle which was recently imported from Europe which I had used it to travel Europe throughout the spring and fall of last year.

This guy Fierce Gears is a person named Steve Zdunic from Saskatoon Saskatchewan he requested to purchase this Syncro Westfalia style camper at $39,500 Canadian dollars in advance of any other buyer.

At that timeI had many interested buyers but based on Steve's request and comitment to buy, supported by his nonrefundable deposit of $1000 and agreement to buy and sell was made for the $39500

He continually dragged out his arrival date to collect the vehicle by many weeks. Which although I want to get the sale concluded I endured the delays because we had an agreement.

When Steve arrived he made no complaints about the vehicle.

He then requested to take the syncro vehicle on a week long camping trip before finalizing the purchase.

This I was a shocking surprise to me. Who in there right mind would give some guy their Syncro to test drive for a week. This is were the deal started to fall apart.

He told me that perhaps I should repost it and he left town for a local area on Vancouver island. I heard nothing from him for a week.

Then he texted me one week later offering me almost $20,000 less than we had agreed.

At that point I told him that because he withdrew from the purchase a week earlier, and that I had already made an agreement to sell the vehicle to someone else. A person who saw it the day after he pulled away from the purchase.

I advised Steve that because he withdrew from the purchase a week earlier, that I sold the vehicle to another at a $2,000 loss from the $39,000 which he and I had agreed to.

As such, I also advised him that i was not refunding anything to him because, I had done some expensive vehicle improvments for his benefit prior to him first arriving to collect the vehicle and the loss I experienced by needing lower selling price.

So that is the real storey.
Syncro801
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: kmorey - [email protected] - Ken Morey Reply with quote

Do not buy from ken morey!!!!! Or anyone in his family! Sadly we are yet another victim of this scam operation!

We had a bad accident last winter and unfortunately totaled our old van. We were heartbroken. We fell in love with the photos of this van that were posted on the add. (they were old) we flew from the us to canada with our pup and were so excited to start our new family adventure together......More like nightmare.

Everything about ken morey is sketchy. Nothing he told us was true. We were told he was selling it because he was in bad health with a pace maker and was so sad to see it go. His wife sat and told us how it was her favorite one. He told us his son had only done 2 vans and he was working on a white one at the moment with his brother. When we pulled up, he was selling that van to a guy. Everything seemed to check out until I saw pictures and videos later of a full dealership operation taking place at the same location. There were countless westy's which didn't match any of his stories. Its very clear this is no side hobby.
He also requested to put the funds into his "Wifes" account and she was present for alot of the transaction as well.

Ken told us this van was the best he'd ever seen. No other one like it. And that it was in excellent condition......Far from it.

Not only is he selling vehicles and lying about their condition but he is also curbing! He is avoiding taxes/liabilities by selling cars that are not even registered or titled to him! No insurance, bond, no business license......Nothing.

After he signed the paperwork and handed it to us, we saw someone else's name on the papers. When we asked about that, he told us it was the original owner and he was just the "Agent/broker" on the sale and told us to tell the boarder that.

When we confronted him about everything he was not willing to work with us. We tried to keep it civil but he was holding our money and refusing to go anywhere even though the bank, the boarder, the brokers, were all still open. Since we had no ride and everything was falling apart we told him we were going to have to call the police. We did not feel like we were in a safe situation at all.

He told us if we called the police he would not be willing to work with us. So.......We called the police immediately. He was acting aggressive and telling us lies after lies. The police showed up and gave him the chance to give us our money back since we didnt even get a vehicle! But he refused and was arrested. The van was taken by the police as well. Ken denied signing any papers that he gave us. (even after he asked to borrow our pen to complete the forms. We never met or saw anyone other than ken sign the documents that were dated and completed that day. Dated that day!!!!)

This guy is a complete fraud!!!!!!!! Please please please do not even waste your time talking to him!!!!! We have a case #, evidence, recordings, and documentation proving he is a fraud. We have contacted a us and canadian attorney to try to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

I am so sorry for those who have had dealings with this guy. We wish we could go back in time and do things differently but hopefuly this will help someone else from getting stuck in this guys trap. Very sad ending to a trip we had been looking forward to for months.

I will add more information soon. Please reach out to me if you have any additional information on this guy or the morey family.
Fierce Gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: kmorey - [email protected] - Ken Morey Reply with quote

Here is another update. When I posted my buyer beware notice I did not know the complete history or the depth of what Ken Morey and his son Tyler were involved in. I have since been contacted by many people who had similar experiences with the Morey family.

I have spoken to the police in Langley and an investigator in Abbotsford, both suburbs of Vancouver. They know exactly who he is and gave me instructions for properly filing my complaint. They would not provide further details as to whether or not there is an open investigation involving Ken Morey, his son Tyler Morey - who buys and sells Vanagons and other vehicles, and a third person who is close to them. The investigator offered several pieces of advice and recommended a few possible courses of action, which I will be taking.

If you feel you have been ripped off or cheated by Ken or Tyler Morey, or if you purchased a vehicle from one of them but made a payment out to a third party, please send me a PM. I will share information that I am able to, including what I know about filing a report to the police, and launching a small claim against him in BC Civil Resolution Tribunal or Small Claims court (even if you are in the USA or abroad). If enough people come forward we can also launch a class action suit. If you were lied to or misled in any way by Ken or Tyler Morey, then you are not alone.

For the record, it is unlawful in BC to operate a vehicle dealership without a business licence, to import and sell vehicles without registering them in your own name, to offset importation taxes or duties to someone else (a third-party buyer), or to take payment in someone else's name (such as your wife) for a vehicle sale. While difficult to prove, it is also fraudulent to lie about the condition of a vehicle for sale. One complain will not result in a fraud investigation by the police. But enough complaints to reveal a pattern of behaviour can result in an investigation and possibly charges.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: