Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

I have a 1967 Beetle. Currently running a AK 1600cc Single Port engine. I have a 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base installed. The correct carburetor for my car is a 20 Pict -1 with a 105-1 Bade (with the power circuit)
I am having a few small issues with my current carb and looking into replace it.
My question is, should I spend the extra for a 105-1 base with the power circuit, or is it worth it? Anyone use one, notice any differences...etc? Thank you!
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

The 30-1 carb I have has a 75 base but it has the power circuit on top. I think there's a way to modify the 75 base so it works properly with the power circuit
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

The 30 PICT 1 tops are interchangeable. If you are running an 009 or some other mechanical only distributor I don't think you'll notice any difference. Iff you are running a vacuum advance distributor you will need to match it to your carburetor.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

Yes, I've said it many times, the bases should be already set up for the power fuel system. All it needs is a clear channel as shown here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

I am running a 009.
Big question... can anyone tell me if they ever tested any difference between running a engine with the 75-1 and running an engine with the 105-1 power circuit?
I don't notice any problems with my Bug getting uphills right now, but supposedly others have told me the 105-1 is the carb I need.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

Uh, yes, I have experienced it when the power fuel system got bunged up and it certainly led to a lower amount of wide open throttle power.

And that reflects a service book note that VW made during the 28PICT-1 era regarding a certain series of carburetors that might have issues:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Uh, yes, I have experienced it when the power fuel system got bunged up and it certainly led to a lower amount of wide open throttle power.

And that reflects a service book note that VW made during the 28PICT-1 era regarding a certain series of carburetors that might have issues:

That answers my question. Smile I will upgrade to the power circuit. Thank you!!!
jerry montano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of the upper half with the power jet circuit? I’m trying to find out if my upper half has it. My base is the vw 105-1. Thanks.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

http://1967beetle.com/30-pict-1-carburetors/
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

Is there a performance difference between 105's, 75's and 78's? I figure the numbers reflect what vehicles they were put in? I have all three and each has a power circuit so is there really a difference? Want to keep the best performer for my 67.
I've noticed that the power circuit tops have an arm that screws into the top to mount the return spring on (and the top has a corresponding mounting point).
jerry montano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
http://1967beetle.com/30-pict-1-carburetors/

Perfect thank you for this! Yes I have the power fuel top and bottom! Drillings, dispensing tube, etc.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 30 Pict-1 75-1 Base vs 30 Pict-1 105-1 Base ..Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Is there a performance difference between 105's, 75's and 78's? I figure the numbers reflect what vehicles they were put in? I have all three and each has a power circuit so is there really a difference? Want to keep the best performer for my 67.
I've noticed that the power circuit tops have an arm that screws into the top to mount the return spring on (and the top has a corresponding mounting point).

http://members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: