Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The EV Wheel Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

I’m now on some Audi 5 spoke wheels. Finally rolling on some 16’s. Also new Nokian Entyre 2.0’s, 215/65/r16 102.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Those really add a classic look. I'm getting ready to swap over to my winter set again.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Chi-town
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

greenlaker wrote:
Chi-town wrote:

16" Tiguan wheels with BFG A/T KO2's

How's the ride quality and noise with the KO2s?

They are a D load range so a little stiffer than normal but also not as squishy in corners. Noise wise they are a tad louder than an all season but not obnoxious.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

I picked up a set of wheels from an older gent on CL, he said they were for a Eurovan. He indeed had an EV in his driveway and assured me they would fit my because he had owned some of those as well. Based on fitting one of them to the rear, I'm going to have some work to do with studs/bolts and spacers to make them work.

I got curious as to what year of Eurovan they came off of and couldn't find them listed on any of the usual sites I use for VW alloy ID or searching for Eurovan specific alloys. I checked VW and Audi car wheels as well, no go.

The VW logo labels on the center caps seem a bit cheesy for OEM so.....

Can you guys tell me what year they came off of?

Here are details from the back side of the casting:
5 x 112
7 x 16"
Et40
Borbet
Front side of the casting has KBA 45899 on the lip by the valve stem.

The "gallery" function and any type of linking is misbehaving so no photo upload for me. It's a 9 spoke wheel with a small diameter center cap that does not cover the bolt holes. I'd like another photo but I can't find one anywhere. You can search the "gallery" under my user name using the button below and find it, those are the only two photos in the "gallery". (i have to use " " to avoid autolinking and that makes the word disappear from my post).

Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Those should fit as is. What problem are you running into when trying to install them? I don’t believe those came stock on any eurovans.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I can't find them anywhere on the web associated with a VW/Audi product and the VW logo labels on the centercaps are sketchy, which is why i posted here.

I did some searching on the Vanagon wheel thread too.

Based on fitting one of them to the rear of the Vanagon the studs were too short for cast versus steel wheels (seemed normal for a stamped wheel versus cast, I just ran into this on my Rabbit truck) and the center protrusion of the axle knocked the centercap off of the wheel. I think the wheel seated before the axle interfered with the wheel, not 100% sure. I put the stock steel wheel back on and started reading versus go any further.

I found a reference in thw Vanagon wheel thread to the Eurovan centerbore being 57.1 and too small for the Vanagon fronts so it seems I'll need to deal with that as well, if I want to make these work. However, if they aren't really EV wheels, maybe not.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Borbet is typically an aftermarket supplier, and if there's no VAG symbols on there, then they're definitely not OE. I'm under the impression that most of the VAG FWD and AWD 5x112 rims will fit the EV hub center, with Audi and longitudinal drivetrain Passats as the best sources of 15" and 16" options available. If the Borbets were made to fit a 5x112 VW or Audi, then they should theoretically fit your EV.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Just a heads up for the EV folks. Apparently VW is dismantling the "diesel scandal" cars they're buying back, so there's a flood of parts entering the secondary market right now. I just bought a set of 16" ET50 wheels from a 2014 Jetta that still had 90% tread on the factory tires for $160. I installed them on our Audi, but the rims should bolt right on an EV, though you may want to swap out the tires for larger reinforced versions. The rims are Ronals, and the guy I bought them from had a whole truck bed full of the same sets. For you Puget Sound folks, if you're interested I could point you to his CL ads or just look for Jet City Bolt Ons on FB. He doesn't advertise the $160 sets, but when I went in person he took me out back to see that truck bed full of them. Killer deal

y u rune klassik?
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Those look familiar...

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

the pic for reference.

888 wrote:
I picked up a set of wheels from an older gent on CL, he said they were for a Eurovan. He indeed had an EV in his driveway and assured me they would fit my because he had owned some of those as well. Based on fitting one of them to the rear, I'm going to have some work to do with studs/bolts and spacers to make them work.

I got curious as to what year of Eurovan they came off of and couldn't find them listed on any of the usual sites I use for VW alloy ID or searching for Eurovan specific alloys. I checked VW and Audi car wheels as well, no go.

The VW logo labels on the center caps seem a bit cheesy for OEM so.....

Can you guys tell me what year they came off of?

Here are details from the back side of the casting:
5 x 112
7 x 16"
Et40
Borbet
Front side of the casting has KBA 45899 on the lip by the valve stem.

The "gallery" function and any type of linking is misbehaving so no photo upload for me. It's a 9 spoke wheel with a small diameter center cap that does not cover the bolt holes. I'd like another photo but I can't find one anywhere. You can search the "gallery" under my user name using the button below and find it, those are the only two photos in the "gallery". (i have to use " " to avoid autolinking and that makes the word disappear from my post).

Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Chi-town

What size are your BFG KO2's? What are you running for lift/springs/spacers/shocks?

I am in the Vanagon world, probably going to cross over to the EV world. Don't think my current Westy is going to get me to where I am wanting to be with AC, drive ability, safety, etc.

Let me know if you are still out there.

Like the Tiquan wheels too, good combo.

Thanks!
fatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

gest24 wrote:
Here is our 99 EVC on some B5 Passat "Sport Alloy" wheels (VW used to really lack creativity when naming wheels) wrapped in 235/60/16 Kuhmo Crugen HT51s. The suspension is still stock height (for now). Seat center caps added for the super OEM+ look.

Very nice!!
faith2es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

I need wheels with heavy weight load and reinforced side walls for my 2003 VW Euro camper van. This is the Full Camper. I live in hot southern California so I do not want snow tires. Currently have Nokian eNTYRE (2.0?) all season, M&S 225/60/16/102H XL extra load. Radial Tubeless. Shall I buy these again or is there a safer better option? Many thanks
greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

OE wheels, but now wrapped in fresh tires, BFG KO2s, 215/65/16:

'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

@greenlaker Thanks for for posting that! I think we are probably going to put a set of those on one of our vans soon (the one we sometime drive as if we think it's a Syncro). It's nice to see what they will look like. Smile
greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
@greenlaker Thanks for for posting that!

No problem. I'll give a proper review of them once I have some miles on the set. Driving to SoCal this weekend, so I will have some highway miles on them.

New shocks are being installed today, looking forward to rolling on some fresh bits.
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
marshy11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

greenlaker wrote:

@greenlaker
Looks great!
How does that 215 width look from the front and rear?

I've been hesitant to run them on my EV. I've run them for years on my suburban and they can get quite noisy after 20K miles or so. I'd love to hear a long term report for BFG AT's on a EV.
greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

marshy11 wrote:

How does that 215 width look from the front and rear?

Some pix. Note that it's hard to photograph them to get the right perspective, at least with an iPhone:

(apologies for the smoke-filled skies - from the Camp fire, some 150 miles away)

215s don't look especially "meaty" on OE wheels, but they have almost the same overall height as the 235/60s that I was previously running (just .1" off). Speedo is accurate, confirmed by GPS and various "YOUR SPEED IS" radar signs.

They are most definitely louder than the all season tires I've run on three EVs over the last 10+ years, but not totally obnoxious. I notice it most at ≈40 MPH, before wind and engine noise starts drowning them out. They don't drone on the highway, and the ride quality is better than the tires I just took off (Kumhos w/a stout 104 load rating). Coupled with the new Fox suspension, the van is much more "planted" feeling and comfortable.

I'm planning on taking it to Colorado over the holidays, so hopefully I'll be able to experience a bit of snow driving with them.
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
Furgoman_u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

greenlaker wrote:

Nice combo!
We have OE BBS 16" black painted and we'll install the same tire but on 215/70R16
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

faith2es wrote:
I need wheels with heavy weight load and reinforced side walls for my 2003 VW Euro camper van. This is the Full Camper. I live in hot southern California so I do not want snow tires. Currently have Nokian eNTYRE (2.0?) all season, M&S 225/60/16/102H XL extra load. Radial Tubeless. Shall I buy these again or is there a safer better option? Many thanks

Keep the same.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: