Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thicker Valve Cover Gaskets for Type 4 Engines
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Thicker Valve Cover Gaskets for Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

has anyone ever used these before?
http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Valve-cover-gaskets-Improved-to-stop-oil-leaks-914VCG2.htm

my 72 has a 914 style motor in it with the upper filler neck and dipstick, and a 914 friend turned me on to this site. i have replaced the gaskets, 3 times, and used sealer, but it just wont quit leaking. so i ordered some and will report back, but curious if anyone has thoughts.

theres also an oil tower gasket (upper breather box) thats slightly thicker for the same reason...i got one of those also. thoughts on that?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wny72westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a new set of valve cover gaskets for my upcoming valve adjustment. I think I may give these a go.

I suspect that new, true valve covers wouldn't need thicker gaskets, but if these do the job, that is certainly cheaper than replacing the valve covers any time they get tweaked.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valve covers get tweaked taking them on and off and eventually they are like a table with uneven legs. One corner leaks. You have to put them on the head without a gasket, rock them, and figure which way they are tweaked to untweak them. Also old stock gaskets get harder over time and don't seal as well when the cover has a little tweak in it. T4 covers are worse for doing this than T1 covers because of the size. I had a tiny leak that would not go away and finally figured out what was going on. I've thought about picking up a junk head just to check the covers before installing them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill try that tocking trick, but i know that if i can pull the bails on by hand, with minimal effort, i have a problem. ill also see about getting some different bales from ken at the busco too, but the gaskets are already on their way. Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bales are not hard to rebend a little tighter, but wear safety glasses, throw a towel over them and do it in a vise as they can get nasty if they get loose mid tweak.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some from these people and you won't have to buy valve cover gaskets for a long, long time. http://www.realgaskets.com/
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Get some from these people and you won't have to buy valve cover gaskets for a long, long time. http://www.realgaskets.com/

cept those say they fit all 4 cylinder engines.....type 4 and type 1 engines are different....Confused

i was going to try and bend the bales also, but the gaskets are already ordered and on their way.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

cept those say they fit all 4 cylinder engines.....type 4 and type 1 engines are different....Confused

Porsche 914 Type4 gaskets from the same site Cool

[img]http://www.realgaskets.com/files/popups/popup67.htm[/img]

Gotta get creative with that there computer Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the whole catalog. They make good parts.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the whole catalog. They make good parts.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

Porsche 914 Type4 gaskets from the same site Cool

[img]http://www.realgaskets.com/files/popups/popup67.htm[/img]

Gotta get creative with that there computer Wink

after all that i totally didnt even think to look those up as a 914 gasket... Brick wall d'oh!

i have tried the rubber gaskets before and they sucked.....i have NOT tried silicone. maybe ill try a set for my bus later on down the line? who knows. Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run them and they are kosher. I have hydraulic lifters so the covers don't come off often, however I think for those with solid lifters they would be real nice because you wouldn't have to replace your seals every time you adjust the valves. A real cost savings over time.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
kamara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! I am going to try them out....

- President of CCvdub (Tallahassee's VW Club)
([email protected])

73 Type2 Riviera, 74 Type2 Westy, 69 Type1 Standard, 72 Type4 412 Variant
Francoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought the Porsche 914 gaskets from that site and I’m happy with them. Thank you for the recommendation.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Valve Cover Gaskets for Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

Just got a set of Porsche/Type 4 gaskets in the mail today, part # RG-914-S. Inexplicably they also list "361, 383, 400, 413, 440" which are Chrysler R and RB engines.

I would like to note that they say to install the gasket dry after cleaning the surface with solvent. When reused the gaskets need to be washed in hot soapy water. The gaskets seem thin so the bales may need to be bent a bit.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thicker Valve Cover Gaskets for Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Just got a set of Porsche/Type 4 gaskets in the mail today, part # RG-914-S. Inexplicably they also list "361, 383, 400, 413, 440" which are Chrysler R and RB engines.

I would like to note that they say to install the gasket dry after cleaning the surface with solvent. When reused the gaskets need to be washed in hot soapy water. The gaskets seem thin so the bales may need to be bent a bit.

Size them up next to a new cork set.

Ones bails may need bending (bench vise) to get them taunt.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamara wrote:
Nice find! I am going to try them out....

I bought a set of these based on the reviews on this thread. I've been trying to solve a valve cover leak.

They did work, but it ended up being a bale issue. When I took them out for testing purposes and only having put maybe 100 miles on them, there were chucks missing from the gasket. It looks like bite marks along the top ridge of the lower part of the gasket if that makes sense. I think I will trim them down a bit next time put them in. They were probably rubbing on my rocker arms.

Also, the heat seems to make these things expand. When I tried to pop them back in while warm they would not fit back in to the valve cover. After I let them sit over night they seem to fit in fine.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thicker Valve Cover Gaskets for Type 4 Engines Reply with quote

I have posted on this before. If the valve cover is warped no gasket will seal, especially the thinner ones. The fix is to fit the cover to the head with no gasket and re-tweak it so it no longer rocks. Then it will seal fine most of the time even with the thinner cork gaskets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: