Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
... it looks like it has a plug you can leave connected and just plug into the charger without having to use the clamps. Do you use / like that?

I put that thing on my 3-wheeler only as it was a pain to raise the seat but not on my bus but you could. There is also an optional cig-lighter plug to charge that way in reverse.

Thompson2 wrote:
Do the clamps disconnect from the charger when you're not using them so that you don't risk shorting them out?

Yes what ever option you pick disconnects via a polar plug but you should still unplug the 120VAC side. The thing is idiot proof; it tells you when the clamps are undone, what % the charge is, when it's full, if you shorted it out.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
... it looks like it has a plug you can leave connected and just plug into the charger without having to use the clamps. Do you use / like that?

I put that thing on my 3-wheeler only as it was a pain to raise the seat but not on my bus but you could. There is also an optional cig-lighter plug to charge that way in reverse.

Thompson2 wrote:
Do the clamps disconnect from the charger when you're not using them so that you don't risk shorting them out?

Yes what ever option you pick disconnects via a polar plug but you should still unplug the 120VAC side. The thing is idiot proof; it tells you when the clamps are undone, what % the charge is, when it's full, if you shorted it out.

On order. My bus appreciates the input. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Plinking along...

Finished the front cargo door latch. The OG was trashed (poorly repaired at some point in the past), so I sourced one from the classifieds and tore it down to clean it, regreased it and bolt it back together. Works sooooo well now. Latches easily, opens smoothly, and it actually locks from inside and out. Woohoo! Small victories!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One thing I did notice is that the lower spear (?) had the tip hacked off at some time. I’m assuming it was when it quit pulling the lower spear up fully. I’ll either find some material to weld on or just get another one. Doesn’t seem like it’s super urgent at least.

I also stripped a bit of the paint off of one of the door panels. Beige textured vinyl it seems. Don’t like the color at all, so these will be moved along at some point to someone who appreciates the OG style.

And then I found this mystery piece. Does this belong with the flip seat interior or is this just some random bit?

Last edited by Thompson2 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Plinking along...

I also stripped a bit of the paint off of one of the door panels. Beige textured vinyl it seems. Don’t like the color at all, so these will be moved along at some point to someone who appreciates the OG style.

I'm actually looking for original cab door panels in that textured beige vinyl to finish my flipseat. Pm sent.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Does this belong with the flip seat interior or is this just some random bit?

Looks like a 1940's Boy Scout tent stake but might be for your tent if you have one.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
Does this belong with the flip seat interior or is this just some random bit?

Looks like a 1940's Boy Scout tent stake but might be for your tent if you have one.

Probably not Boy Scouts or 40’s, but I’ll buy into the tent stake theory. I think that’s spot on.

Good eye!
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

A little bit more not-so-glamorous work this evening. Got the preheat tube swapped out. Hadn’t noticed before that it was only connected on the oil bath side. The other end was just dangling. Mangled and crumbling beyond repair.

Also got the oil breather hose replaced. They had used what was likely heater hose and it was swelling and soft and horrible and barely hanging on.

So now every hose / tube has been nice replaced. Surprisingly satisfying.

And if you look reaaaaly close, you can just make the copper wire wrapped, around the super ghetto, $3.69 VersaChem “Muffler-Cast” exhaust bandage wrap around the heat riser on the intake manifold. Pretty sure it’s basically high temp fiberglass. It ain’t pretty. It ain’t permanent. But it’s better than a gaping hole allowing all sorts of crap into the engine. Because apparently the B versions of this manifold are not growing on trees... so if you stumble across one (no governor, 28 PICT carb), please keep me in mind.

Last edited by Thompson2 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Nice work. If it was me I would have totally buffed out that apron to make it look pretty as its begging to be cleaned up. Smile
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Nice work. If it was me I would have totally buffed out that apron to make it look pretty as its begging to be cleaned up. Smile

Buffing out the apron definitely crossed my mind, but there are so many things "begging" to be done, I have to pick and choose. Plus, I have a new seal for it so it'll be coming out pretty soon and I'm 99% sure I won't be able to resist the temptation with it just sitting there in front of me. I'll just have to resist the temptation to clean the whole engine bay right after that. Laughing
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Hopefully you will get the rubber seals for the base of the fresh air tubes and the stock rubber tube from air cleaner to the elbow on the carb. A little shorter flex fuel line be better also so it shoots thru the hump vacuum line without touching.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Go ahead and unlatch the air cleaner preheat valve so it works in the cooler weather.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Hopefully you will get the rubber seals for the base of the fresh air tubes and the stock rubber tube from air cleaner to the elbow on the carb. A little shorter flex fuel line be better also so it shoots thru the hump vacuum line without touching.

Crap! Totally missed those when I was looking for the last bits... Guess it's another WW order tonight. Maybe I'll add the cloth covered hose from the breather to the oil fill too...

I looked at WW for the rubber hose from breather to carb, but it's listed as '64 and later... (http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211129627) Will it still fit? The one that's there now seems like it's in reasonable shape as is the same material as the fresh air tubes...

The fuel line hitting the vac line is an optical illusion, I think. But it does look like it could be a couple of inches shorter. I'll touch that up this evening just to be sure. Pretty sure nothing good could come from those two rubbing.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Go ahead and unlatch the air cleaner preheat valve so it works in the cooler weather.

She won't get much cold weather drive time. There's a minor problem with the heater tube. Shocked

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

I looked at WW for the rubber hose from breather to carb, but it's listed as '64 and later... (http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211129627) Will it still fit? The one that's there now seems like it's in reasonable shape as is the same material as the fresh air tubes....

It will fit. The 1500 was not stock standard in 1963, but it was a option along with the one year only 1 ton suspension. So WW only lists it as a 64-67 part to skip a lot of 1963 3/4 ton confusion. Rubber tube will hold up better, especially if you ever have even a slight back fire up thru the carb.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

You also need the three plastic plugs that go into the rear of the fan shroud. The spark plug cables clip into them, and without those, you are loosing cooling air.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Rubber tube will hold up better, especially if you ever have even a slight back fire up thru the carb.

Makes sense. It's on the list.

Eric&Barb wrote:
You also need the three plastic plugs that go into the rear of the fan shroud. The spark plug cables clip into them, and without those, you are loosing cooling air.

WW site makes some of this stuff entertaining to find... You have to know what they call things sometimes... Or I'm just slow.. Laughing

Found the clips... assuming I need 1-3 slot for the far left (plug wires and hard fuel line) and 2-2 slots for the right side and somewhere else that I can see in my pic?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

You can often find parts you need and more often parts you never knew you needed from the original VW dealer parts manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Lots of superb exploded diagrams, nomenclature, how many used, from what chassi to what chassi used, what models used the part, and most important the VW part numbers of almost all VW parts.

Seems like VW used the three slit one was used in the early 1970s for the fuel line also. Personally do not like having a metal fuel line right next to high voltage spark like an EDM machine.

Earlier VWs used a bracket on the left hand side of the shroud to hold up the metal line and keep down on vibration. Inside of the bracket is lined with a short section of flex fuel line

Third hole for the plugs/clips is just below the opening in the fan shroud for the accelerator cable.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
You can often find parts you need and more often parts you never knew you needed from the original VW dealer parts manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Lots of superb exploded diagrams, nomenclature, how many used, from what chassi to what chassi used, what models used the part, and most important the VW part numbers of almost all VW parts.

Holy information overload! A guy could lose hours upon hours in there... Seems like a good evening-in-front-of-the-tv-with-a-beer kind of thing to get acquainted with it..

[edit]Ignore my prior (now deleted) 50hp engine question. Engine is supposed to be a 44hp 1500cc. Not sure why I thought it was supposed be be a massive 50hp beast[/edit]

And I hadn't thought about the problems of running the plug wire parallel to the fuel line... I could totally see a hole in the wire and have it arc to the fuel line. Really appreciate that thought.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

Holy information overload! A guy could lose hours upon hours in there... Seems like a good evening-in-front-of-the-tv-with-a-beer kind of thing to get acquainted with it..

Keep in mind that each of the nine digit VW part numbers has a meaning, so they are not just random numbers.

Let's take for example the spark plug clips, or as VW calls them:

Quote:
113 905 451 A Holder - Ignition cable

The first digit means what model of VW the part was originally designed for. In this case the "1" means type 1.
Keep in mind that lots of beetle parts are used on the bus and some bus parts were used in the beetle.

The next two digits "13" are the model of VW they were designed for originally or can mean only that model. EG a sunroof part is not going to fit a cabriolet, and neither specific parts for those two models will fit a sedan beetle or KG or type 3 models. So the "13" means deluxe/export LHD. If "81" it would be a Thing part.

The fourth digit is the section you can find the part in the parts manual. In this case "9" means in the electrical section.

The remaining five digits are the actual part number. If side specific, the last digit for LHD driver side will be an odd number. If the other side, it will be an even number. Easiest way to remember this is if there is only the driver in the LHD VW it means only one person so an odd number.

The letter suffix means the part was improved so the part number was not changed. Sometimes this means the part will not fit earlier VWs, at least not without major changes in the other parts.

Just for kicks try a WWW search for the holders, like this:

VW 113905451

Do not use the spaces in the part number itself when doing searches.
Adding the "VW" gets rid of a lot of addresses and phone number results that you would be flooded with. Not adding the letter suffix allows you to find an earlier or later part. EG a "B" might fit your VW.

Enjoy!! Very Happy
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I had forgotten about the VW numbering system. Had a Corrado for a lot of years and the prefix for the G60 specific parts was 357... that's how you knew you'd be paying more. Laughing

Good to get the reminder.

Now I have to go look through all the docs on that site just so I know what's there. Might prevent more dumb questions... *might*.

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 31

Jump to: