Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best way to block off old egr port on manifold?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

I cut off the old egr equipment off of my engine. I had a rubber cap on the hole but the hose clamp ripped it, causeing a vacuum leak Sad What is the best way to plug the hole? Somone told be a should take a bolt the size of the hole, cover it with jb weld and clog it with that. Would that work?
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

I deleted all that EGR stuff too and used jb weld to plug the hole, no screw, just jb. But I had the manifold off (to clean out) so it was a little easier.

Your technique with a bolt sounds like it'll work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
I deleted all that EGR stuff too and used jb weld to plug the hole, no screw, just jb. But I had the manifold off (to clean out) so it was a little easier.

Your technique with a bolt sounds like it'll work

Thank you! Ill head to home depot tonight after work and grab some JB Weld. Hopefully I can get it done tonight, so it can cure over the next day or two.
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

When I had to drill holes to clean out my heat risers, I plugged the holes with very short screws and then brazed over them to seal permanently.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

I’m sure you are all aware it’s a violation of Federal Law to defeat, modify or disable any pollution control on a vehicle even though they might be no longer subject to yearly inspections. Shocked
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’m sure you are all aware it’s a violation of Federal Law to defeat, modify or disable any pollution control on a vehicle even though they might be no longer subject to yearly inspections. Shocked

Just like everybody is aware it's a violation of the law to go over the speed limit... Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

Room for humor of course my 74 somehow got blocked but I plead the 5 th Very Happy
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

A quickie way to temporarily plug the port is with a short section of fuel line stuck over the nipple and a screw to plug the fuel line. 34 years later my temporary plug is still working. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Damn.. i'm screwed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When i removed mine, I made a metal plate to cover the hole, secured it with the 2 bolt holes for the EGR and put some gasket material between to seal it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

Pretty much what Glenn did.
Fabbed a plate out of aluminum and made a gasket from left over gasket material. Worked fine until I rebuilt the motor and went to dual Kads
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos

Last edited by docdanracy on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

Federal prisons have Golf courses and expresso bars if they find you.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to block off old egr port on manifold? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

You know, I've suspected several times things you post are meant to be humorous, but I'm just not always certain. Think

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: