Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

I installed the wiper motor and the EIS replacement part was spot on for holes and washers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

new seals installed and will be doing the doors this weekend.
Paid $220 for windshield install, windshield, and rear window install. He came to us as well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

finished up all the seals and interior mats for front end.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Coming together nicely. Way to go. Applause I'll have that bus on "Bays on the Way" in no time Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

very nice!
Thanks for the follow up on the EIS part. I need to get one ASAP. Got a similar project in the works....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

When I first bought my bus I foolishly bought the bazillion door seals that were $20 a side. When I tried to test fit them the rubber piece that sandwiches where the door hinge is is what wouldn't compress. I was thinking about sanding off about a third of the rubber material and putting the rest in a bench vice for a few days. What do you guys think? I would rather use what I have already on hand at this point.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
bent_karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Hi I've been looking around for a windshield seal and I got confused with all the different part numbers I don't have a parts book and haven't talked to my local vw mechanic but here's what I found so far:
https://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17038&cat=378&page=2
211 845 121 DGR
$US 49.01

http://www.busdepot.com/details/busrubber/
211845121DVW
$34.95

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211845121D
211845121D
$28.00

http://www.jbugs.com/category/vw-bus-window-seals-1968-1971.html
211845121D
$29.95

I think I'll go with Wolfsburgwest like vdublammy, my bus is a 1971 deluxe and do not want to go with the chrome molding just the "cal look" has this question been beaten already? Thanks in advance.
'07 Mazda3 Hatchback GT [the Mazda]
'06 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S (gone at the moment) sold
'18 Subaru Forester 2.5i [Sue Bee]

"Water is for drinking"
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

bent_karma wrote:
Hi I've been looking around for a windshield seal and I got confused with all the different part numbers I don't have a parts book and haven't talked to my local vw mechanic but here's what I found so far:
https://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17038&cat=378&page=2
211 845 121 DGR
$US 49.01

211845121DVW
$34.95

211845121D
$28.00

211845121D
$29.95

I think I'll go with Wolfsburgwest like vdublammy, my bus is a 1971 deluxe and do not want to go with the chrome molding just the "cal look" has this question been beaten already? Thanks in advance.

I bought the WW windshield seal but returned it. Went with the Bus depot german one with molded corners. It's pretty good so far. I also saw a WCM one at my local vw shop and it is softer rubber and overlaps the corners more so than the other brands. Hope this helps. Let me know if u have any other needs.. The german door seals are breaking in -I can tell the doors are closing easier ...
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

vdublammy wrote:
bent_karma wrote:
211 845 121 DGR
$US 49.01

211845121DVW
$34.95

211845121D
$28.00

211845121D
$29.95

I bought the WW windshield seal but returned it. Went with the Bus depot german one with molded corners. It's pretty good so far. I also saw a WCM one at my local vw shop and it is softer rubber and overlaps the corners more so than the other brands. Hope this helps. Let me know if u have any other needs.. The german door seals are breaking in -I can tell the doors are closing easier ...

My body shop is having trouble installing my windshield with the WW chrome trim seal. What was your issue with the WW seal? If need be, we will go with the Bus Depot one.

Thanks in advance.
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

HarryFD wrote:
vdublammy wrote:
bent_karma wrote:
211 845 121 DGR
$US 49.01

211845121DVW
$34.95

211845121D
$28.00

211845121D
$29.95

My body shop is having trouble installing my windshield with the WW chrome trim seal. What was your issue with the WW seal? If need be, we will go with the Bus Depot one.

Thanks in advance.

I went with the bus depot but it didn’t cover the corners . I am currently restoring the whole bus see my other thread . I am going with the west coast metric front and back seals because they are softer on outer lip and extend more over the outside . I’ll post up once I get them. I saw them in person at Always vdub. Ashley n I chatted about the difference ...
bent_karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

To be honest I haven't installed it yet since the bus hasn't been 100% yet. But I'll be installing a seal this month and let you know.
'07 Mazda3 Hatchback GT [the Mazda]
'06 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S (gone at the moment) sold
'18 Subaru Forester 2.5i [Sue Bee]

"Water is for drinking"
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

The Wolfsburg West window rubber has been disappointing the past few years. I installed a new rear window seal on my 67 bug. A professional installer and myself fought that glass and seal for too long before it went in. The seal before that was WCM. It installed perfectly with no fight. I cut it out when I repainted the bug and should of bought another WCM seal.

Many folks are reporting the same issues with their bus window seals too.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Nice Work! An Amazing transformation. Want to do ours? Our 71 Bay front, is in about the same condition yours was, Just got back today from a 400-mile road trip to get an estimate, said about 10 hours metal work time.

vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Nice Work! An Amazing transformation. Want to do ours? Our 71 Bay front, is in about the same condition yours was, Just got back today from a 400-mile road trip to get an estimate, said about 10 hours metal work time.

Send me a pm and I’ll ask my buddy who did it. I know he has more than 10 hours into it ...
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The Wolfsburg West window rubber has been disappointing the past few years. I installed a new rear window seal on my 67 bug. A professional installer and myself fought that glass and seal for too long before it went in. The seal before that was WCM. It installed perfectly with no fight. I cut it out when I repainted the bug and should of bought another WCM seal.

Many folks are reporting the same issues with their bus window seals too.

Thanks for this recent update Bill.

When I bought rubber for my bug, 914, and then this bus "back in the day", I bought WCM. In fact, I found one of their catalogs in the glove box of my bus when I started the rehab/ Smile

I have been pretty happen with WW so far, but I might just stick with my old pals at WCM for rubber.

My 1968 Campmobile
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

You’re not gonna like the performance of those vape barriers unless you laminated skirts on them. The bottoms of the panels will always be wet.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Lil Lulu wrote:
You’re not gonna like the performance of those vape barriers unless you laminated skirts on them. The bottoms of the panels will always be wet.

Do early bays have the "skirt"?
I don't think my 68 had it. The plastic he installed will still protect the door panel from the inside of the door.

My 1968 Campmobile
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Every piece of information I have been able to get about cab doors is that they are, in essence, the same through all bay years. If you live anywhere that rain occurs, it is inevitable that the bottoms of your panels will be wet with that single setup. The barrier’s purpose is twofold. 1 to drain water from the scrapers to the drain holes and 2 to help maintain airflow through the doors. A single layer will just let water ooze past the barrier. It is something I chased for years until I found out about the skirts. Beetles have them too.

Ron

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Lil Lulu wrote:
Every piece of information I have been able to get about cab doors is that they are, in essence, the same through all bay years. If you live anywhere that rain occurs, it is inevitable that the bottoms of your panels will be wet with that single setup. The barrier’s purpose is twofold. 1 to drain water from the scrapers to the drain holes and 2 to help maintain airflow through the doors. A single layer will just let water ooze past the barrier. It is something I chased for years until I found out about the skirts. Beetles have them too.

Ron

I guess mine were removed before I bought it. *shrug*

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: