Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Yeah, it isn’t a very popular thing to do, so thanks for the input.

Well, I got the engine in. Nothing is hooked up yet, but enough is there that I can temporarily hook some things up and crank her over this weekend.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Nobody really mentioned anything about your washers... I looked them up and would say you’ve exceeded VW’s engineering specs! Would you mind sharing your source? I’d assume you shopped around for a screamin’ deal?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Nord-Lock washers are all about the same price from just about any source anywhere give or take a few cents. I picked a pack of 25 up from Fastenal.

Originally, VW used Schnorr washers, probably the best spring washers out there...that said, they suffer from the same problem all spring washers suffer from. The looser the bolt gets, the less tension they put on the bolt. Since Nord-Lock washers don’t use spring force to keep tension on the bolt, they don’t suffer from the same problem.

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

For parking/emergency brakes:
Berrien buggy offers a bracket for a VW Bug handle
C058-BB647

And a guide tube set
C058-BB616

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks Richard.

Well, good news! I temporarily ran fuel, power to the engine electrics, and bolted on a couple heater box cores for a temporary exhaust. A couple pumps of the throttle and she fired right up.

The cam is broken in now. She hold great oil pressure. It comes up to around 20psi when cranking, 50psi at 2000rpm, and 60 psi around 3000rpm. After 20 minutes, oil temps got up to around 160degF. No apparent oil leaks.

Next time around I will recheck the valve lash, set the timing with a strobe, dial in the carbs, and change out the breakin oil with some fresh 10/30 Amzoil Zrod.

Over all I am very happy with the result.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

just in time for the "mud season' Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks Mike!

Well, I drained out the breakin oil and changed it out for 10/30 Amsoil Zrod. I cut the oil filter open used to break in the engine to check for abnormalities that would indicate a problem. Looked great. No metal shavings or traces of sealants. That’s what I like to see. Or should I say, like not to see.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Been pretty busy between the holidays, house projects, etc. I managed to find a little time for plumbing up the rear brakes. I had to weld on a couple new tabs on the trailing arm brackets because the original ones cracked off. By the end of the week, I should have the front lines done as well.

Some pics now, some more to come in the next week or so.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Made up a couple brake hose mounts, welded them onto the frame, shot it with some paint, and strung up my front flex lines. These are lines for a ‘68 and newer standard beetle. The lines are about three inches shorter than the ‘50’s - ‘65 brake hoses, which works out well because my mounting points were farther out from center. Still plenty long for full travel. When mounting, run the steering lock to lock, just to make sure there is no kinking, stretching, or rubbing going on at any point.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Made up the last couple brake hose mounting tabs, welded them down, and shot them with paint. Tabs are easy to make. I just use 1/8” flat stock, and drill a 5/8” hole in it for the hose. Brake hose locking tabs are dirt cheap. A bag of 25 tabs that work great are available at Autozone for less than $3! Hard to go wrong with that.

Anyways, brake lines are done. Tomorrow, bleeding and adjusting the brakes.

Getting closer Laughing

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Comeon Dirk, what's it been,, ,like 8 years now Shocked ,, will u just Drive this thing,,lol
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Haha, hey, nice to hear from you again Mike!

It has been a long haul, but looking back on it now, I really didn’t do anything with it the first four years other than collect little odds and ends. Most of the coming together happened this last year. Feels good to finally have made some real progress on something that sat for so long. Also helps to finally have a barn to work on it in. Laughing

Hope life has been treating you well Mike! Hopefully I will see you at one of the 131 Bug Runs this year!

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

My wife helped me bleed the brakes today. Got a nice firm pedal. Locks things up nicely.

Time to undo the temporary wire hack job to run in the engine and permanently wire it up. Also have to mount gauges.

Anybody know of a reputable supplier for speedo cable gear reductions to use the stock speedo with bigger tires?

Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Go with a GPS speedo. So much more accurate, and you can play around with tire sizes and always be accurate.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Oh man we're tied! My hydraulics are bled, and I started undoing my temporary wiring hack job and doing my real harness this weekend!

You're going to beat me because I'm going to get hyper-fixated on something unimportant and take four and a half months to do it, but we can enjoy this moment together for now!
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

With on board nav and smart phones, the automotive GPS units can be found for almost nothing now. Mine was free. Mph, odometer, compass, top speed, elevation, hours moving,......
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

If I can find a tow vehicle this year?, I'll be down in a heartbeat Laughing
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
With on board nav and smart phones, the automotive GPS units can be found for almost nothing now. Mine was free. Mph, odometer, compass, top speed, elevation, hours moving,......

Did you just mount your iPhone to the dash?!?!

I was actually considering mounting one of my older Garmins in the dash. I have two that have a dedicated Speedometer screen. That shows the speedometer dial (or Digital depending), average speed and Max speed. Maps no longer are able to be updated because the SD Card readers fried but the GPS functions still work OK.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Just leave the speedo as is, that way the Buggy will be faster ! Wink
because your going to tell all the people that u give a ride to,
"The speedometer is 'OFF" Laughing Laughing Laughing
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Working out how I want to situate a “dash,” for lack of better words...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 39

Jump to: