Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

I replaced my original starter with a SR17X auto starter. I bought it through Amazon but it came in a Bosch box with a Bosch warranty. It is installed and starts the bus well. However, when it is engaged to the flywheel and under load, it makes a sound that can best be described as the noise a cat makes when you step on it’s tail… a high-pitched screech. Since this is a different model than the one I pulled out, I have nothing to compare it to, but I’d be really surprised if this is how it is supposed to sound.

I drove it by the local reman shop and let them hear it under load. I then pulled the starter and took it back for diagnosis. It did not make the same sound on the bench when not under load. They said the internal bushing looked dry so they soaked the point where the shaft exits the case with oil. I installed it today and am getting the same screeching noise.

My question… is this the noise they all make under load? If not, any suggestions on what I can do to fix it? If nothing obvious, I’ll just send it back, get a refund, and stick with a manual starter. However, it starts so quickly with this upgraded starter that I’d like to keep it if I can.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

If you ran with a bad starter bushing for long enough you may have damaged the teeth on the ring gear and thus your noise.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you ran with a bad starter bushing for long enough you may have damaged the teeth on the ring gear and thus your noise.

Possible... but my initial guess is not. I caught it pretty quick, and there was only one time where I heard teeth grinding. The other times it just clicked but didn’t turn. Also, wouldn’t it have made the screeching noise with the old starter? That one sounded completely normal. I could see about 10 exposed teeth before I installed the starter and I didn’t see any obvious damage.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

The one I bought from Amazon recently arrived with the wrong motor. It was smaller by about an inch than it should have been. I sent it back. The next one that came was correct. Amazon makes returns pretty easy
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The one I bought from Amazon recently arrived with the wrong motor. It was smaller by about an inch than it should have been. I sent it back. The next one that came was correct. Amazon makes returns pretty easy

How did you know it was the wrong motor? Was the outside case a different size or did it not perform correctly?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

I have my own for my engine run stand. The recent one was for a customer. There was a notable difference between the two. I believe the bigger motor has more power too.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

I am assuming the ones you have installed don’t make the screeching sound I described? Just trying to make sure that isn’t normal before I return it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

I would say that it is not normal
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

Not normal. Send it back and try another one.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

Noise sounds like a cat being stepped on, but starts the truck nicely.
I agree with the above, we just need to swap another new one in. My guess is that a bearing has crud in it and scored something.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

They call them "rebuilt" but I'll bet they just clean, inspect, and paint mostly. Obviously they don't bench check them
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

Just to close the loop on this.... I requested a replacement from Amazon and they were on back order until this week. My truck was already in winter storage and I really wasn’t looking forward to swapping the starter in 20 degree weather but I had to return the old one within a week. I don’t know why but I really thought the second one was going to make the same noise. If that had happened, I was going to go back to the original style. Low and behold, the replacement worked! These auto starters crank fast... a nice upgrade. Keep an eye on Amazon, I paid $103 shipped, and it was rebuilt by Bosch.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:
Just to close the loop on this.... I requested a replacement from Amazon and they were on back order until this week. My truck was already in winter storage and I really wasn’t looking forward to swapping the starter in 20 degree weather but I had to return the old one within a week. I don’t know why but I really thought the second one was going to make the same noise. If that had happened, I was going to go back to the original style. Low and behold, the replacement worked! These auto starters crank fast... a nice upgrade. Keep an eye on Amazon, I paid $103 shipped, and it was rebuilt by Bosch.

Or at least by an approved "Bosch like" entity Laughing
Ray
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

bosch is junk these days. I have had far too many starters and alternators fail within the last year.

according to the bosch rep, they are rebuilt in Michigan with little QC. whenever possible, I have been using Denso. when you have a 6+ hour R&R alternator job you have to warranty...you just get bitter

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X noise diagnosis Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
70Crew wrote:

Ray

Maybe Cardon?!? We all know their magnificent quality control with their crapstastic distributor "rebuilds"...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: