Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did my local starter shop do me wrong?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Did my local starter shop do me wrong? Reply with quote

I was having intermittent starter issues with an original Bosch 211-012-013 starter so I took it in to the local starter/generator rebuild shop. I told them it sounded like the solenoid was failing but that was just a guess. The employee took it in the back and I heard him do a couple bench test runs. It sounded like it was slowing down over each 3-5 second run. He said it sounded like the motor was failing and they’d need to pull it apart. He called back the next day and said my bushing must be bad because the shaft was not properly supported and it had worn the case.

I have since read that the original starter can’t be bench tested unless it is connected to the transmission housing. I am fairly certain (although not sure) that this shop wouldn’t have a test stand for a VW starter, unless there is a universal stand that supports the shaft. I am guessing that when they ran the initial test, the damage to the case was done… that’s the noise I heard, with the unsupported shaft hitting the case and getting further out of round the longer it ran. Does that sound like a reasonable assessment? Just trying to educate myself before I go back and talk to them.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Did my local starter shop do me wrong? Reply with quote

keep it together.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708917
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Did my local starter shop do me wrong? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
keep it together.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708917

Well, I kind of assumed these were 2 separate issues, and I have been taken to task for my posts being too long. So... I did separate these intentionally, whether that was appropriate or not.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Did my local starter shop do me wrong? Reply with quote

Yep. They screwed you. Ask to see their test rig.

I suggest you buy the self supported auto trans starter. I got one recently from Amazon.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Did my local starter shop do me wrong? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

I suggest you buy the self supported auto trans starter. I got one recently from Amazon.

Better yet

No tax and free shipping

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/SR17X

Oops, they want a core. Amazon didnt
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Did my local starter shop do me wrong? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Better yet

No tax and free shipping

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/SR17X

Oops, they want a core. Amazon didnt

Actually, I did replace it with the auto starter. Bought it from Amazon last week for $104 shipped, no core. Unfortunately I am also having issues with that, as documented in this separate thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Did my local starter shop do me wrong? Reply with quote

I'm glad to see you use your local starter repair shop first before going to amazon. Starter/alternator/generator shops are going to disappear rapidly if we don't support them with our business. Well have to ship everything around the country to get something fixed. Hopefully, yours is going to take care of your problem, even if they messed it up.

The last time I bought a new Bosch Generator was 10-15 years ago. I was in a hurry for a generator. I bought a new Bosch made in Mexico one. Out of the box, it was clear the quality was much lower than the original German version. The brushes didn't slide down the holders well and I kept getting a gen light on. I finally pulled the brushes and installed almost new used German ones along with the German brush springs that were much thicker and better quality. The problem went away. I did notice how flimsy the brush holders were too along with the cheap brush springs.

I kept my German one and had it rebuilt. No issues at all post rebuild.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: