Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Birchgreen notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
The hood might have been blue, but I doubt the whole car was. Somebody might have sat on it, or dropped something on it, or some other such tragedy dinged it and they swapped it out for another one. It is a little odd how not all of the body panels seems to have matching paint though. Maybe an original was hail damaged? Might explain why the roof and hood don't matched the doors/fenders.

The fenders are a really really poor recent colour match and respray. They tried to blend into the door. My plan is to have the fenders resprayed and faux patina them to match the rest of the car. The doors will get a wet sanding to remove the blend. If the hood is a repaint, it must have been done very early on in this cars life as the patina on it matches the rest of car.

Aprox-2007 still wearing its original paint
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now 🤦‍♂️

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Are you going to put in the type 3 engine?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Are you going to put in the type 3 engine?

It has a correct engine in it, the 69 is getting the type iv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

So it’s missing the breast plate, belt cover, resonator and tail pipe. Going to pull and detail it (including losing the fuel filter) and make this one stock. I am even considering raising it and putting stock rims and tire on it.
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

That hood may have been a factory repaint especially if the hood is painted birch green on the underside. I was told occasionally the paint work didn't fit the standards at the VW production line. Panels went back to the paint shop to get re-primed & re-painted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
That hood may have been a factory repaint especially if the hood is painted birch green on the underside. I was told occasionally the paint work didn't fit the standards at the VW production line. Panels went back to the paint shop to get re-primed & re-painted.

It might at have been, as it is solid green. Thanks for the info.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Digging through my parts stash to liberate some parts from the 69 build

WCM rubber is from the turn of the century (damn I feel old saying that) so hopefully it might last.

Some parts are NOS, some I’ve just had for twenty plus years.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

The blister pac gaskets should be fine. Ill bet those wiper rubbers disintegrate after two or three swipes. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
The blister pac gaskets should be fine. Ill bet those wiper rubbers disintegrate after two or three swipes. Wink

Does anyone actually drive their car in the rain? 🤔🤔
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Does anyone actually drive their car in the rain? 🤔🤔

Nope. No one does.

Link

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. I have a host of vintage bikes that get ridden in all kinds of weather and terrain, so the notch won’t be much different.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I agree with this. If the WCM stuff is super old there is a possibility they are REAL VW parts. They used to source real VW stuff from S. America and re-package it.

Be careful with the wiper blades too, if you are going to use them.
They might fall apart and your windshield can get scratched
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I agree with this. If the WCM stuff is super old there is a possibility they are REAL VW parts. They used to source real VW stuff from S. America and re-package it.

Be careful with the wiper blades too, if you are going to use them.
They might fall apart and your windshield can get scratched

And YES, some of us do drive in the rain. Not because we want to, but rather got caught in a passing shower. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

So one of these doesn’t fit and is the equivalent of throwing a hotdog down a hallway... not entirely sure what one of the previous owners was thinking. The correct one is on the right in the pic and I believe it to be an early trailing arm. If someone knows for sure, please chime in.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
So one of these doesn’t fit and is the equivalent of throwing a hotdog down a hallway... not entirely sure what one of the previous owners was thinking. The correct one is on the right in the pic and I believe it to be an early trailing arm. If someone knows for sure, please chime in.

Looks like a pair of uppers (L&R) going off the ball joint connection (pockets). Keep in mind the right upper (L in pic) might be shorter due to it being the "adjustable" one. This might also be an early versus late thing too, as I never really paid attention when I had 1 apart years ago. But then most of my stuff is "late" (post 65).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Bob,

Yup upper control arms. The shorter one has a smaller diameter on the end, so it doesn’t fit snugly in the inner bush. When I first started taking the drum off, it felt like the wheel bearings were gone, there was that much movement.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Bob,

Yup upper control arms. The shorter one has a smaller diameter on the end, so it doesn’t fit snugly in the inner bush. When I first started taking the drum off, it felt like the wheel bearings were gone, there was that much movement.

I wonder if it's for an even earlier car. Does the other on fit that bearing/bushing? I'm wondering if your car had a beam replacement in it's life?
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

I have another set of control arms, but they are of the smaller size. Since this is my first early car, I would guess the larger diameter are early.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
I have another set of control arms, but they are of the smaller size. Since this is my first early car, I would guess the larger diameter are early.

Ok, that makes sense then. Like I said, I've really only had later cars. My 64 T-34 being my earliest, but it was still all complete and low mileage.

Good luck finding a good early upper right arm. This might be where an early parts book might come in handy to know where the cut off date/chassis number is to help you find one. My kind of luck (if I were looking for 1) would be someone on the west coast only selling the complete beam. d'oh!
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

It appears it is a later beam, which makes sense as discs would have had more stopping force, hence the larger diameter control arm to handle the increased force.

Here is an add I found searching for part number 311405106A (lhs upper control arm from chassis 315 000 000 on)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2108149
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: