Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery motor
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My son just bought it last night. Can someone help with what motor this is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Type 3 engine.

Same thing as a Type 1, but a different cooling system, oil pressure switch location, and taps for a rear engine hanger.

Yours was originally a fuel injected T3, but someone did a hack job and made it carbureted.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Being new to the sandrail world do you think this will be an ok motor to start with. Is this cooling system ok or does it need to be swapped out of possible?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BG Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

I never trust the previous owner.
You never know what's missing/hacked.
I'd convert it to upright, but that's just my preference. Parts are plentiful and cheap for upright engines.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

This is basically what a standard type 3 engine should look like...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I see a lot of butchered stuff there... Cooling system is pretty hacked probably not working at all...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

The majority of the tin still looks like it's there, but the creativity of just throwing a hand made carb adapter on top of the stock throttle body is a unique touch... I would be suspect of the rest of the setup.

That engine hanger bar is an interesting setup as well...
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

So let's start from the top. What's going to be the best book to help with specs and such. The boy is all for testing into this motor and learning how things work. Gotta admit that I am too. This thing has also got a automatic . Not so excited about that. Thanks for all the help
BG Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Fastback-Squareback-Service-Manual/dp/0837617006

Get a Bentley. The only problem is this will probably only cover the transaxle and engine, not the front suspension etc, because you have a Frankenstein of parts.
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Most pics i see if sandrails they have type 1 motors. Is having a type 3 not a good set up? If not can it be swapped over ? When the boy gets home Sunday from seeing his little darling we plan on starting the clean-up process and seeing if she'll fire up. Besides checking oil is there anything else we should check before starting it?
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

It wouldn't hurt do do a valve adjustment, change the fuel filter and take a look at the carb to see if it needs a rebuild or not. If you just want to hear it go bang and it "ran when parked" then I would just change the oil, put fresh gas in it and see what happens. Look for things like cracked fuel lines or brittle ones, frayed wires etc. and replace those. A fire extinguisher isn't a bad thing to have around just in case. I don't know about auto trans, but make sure it's full of fluid.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

the thing about type 3 motors is: the fan that sucks in cooling air is a foot lower, and closer to the sand, than a type 1 engine

second consideration: it's a generator engine. you can fit a 55 amp alternator; you can not just bolt in a 70. if you have to run a football stadium light array on the roof, use LEDs

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Broke out the de-greaser and pressure washer today.that was the first step. Bought a new battery that was the second step. Third step will it turn over? YES. It even hit for a second. There was also a fuel filter and spark plugs. After it hit a second or three that was it. It seems that we are not getting fire. Tomorrow we will check the coil and anything else that y'all can think of. We are thinking of going to a type 1 with a manual transmission. The boy needs to learn how to drive a stick of i fail as a father.
BG Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

If you can get that engine to run, changing it over to an upright (Type 1) engine is not hard. I've done it before, but it was years ago.

I agree with changing out the trans. The autostick is fine for normal street driving if it's working well, but I dont think it's well suited to off road driving...

I'd start by checking the points.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Once upon a time, B&M used to build VW automatic trans for offroad. I actually saw a number of them in offroad race cars in the 70s.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Update. New points, new condenser, cleaned all point of electrical contact. When we replaced the points inside of the rotor area is dirty and the plates are scratchy when you move them. The boy went to get a new distributor and the salesman told him that you also have to get the coil that goes with it $130. I put that on hold till I could contact the pros. So what say you. Is it a up sale. Can the distributor be rebuilt. This thing is becoming addictive.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Take distributor out, clean and oil it and be sure all the weights are free and every thing moves smoothly, get points and condenser (or points replacement module ie: Pretronix or Compu-fire), distributor cap and rotor, coil you have if it works its good.... Sales counter guy at FLAPS is only trying to make sale, not help you... Probably need to find different AP in future....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

Yeah, Dale's right. Do ya smell the smoke that guy's blowing up there? Since you asked the group here, you probably have suspicions. And those suspicions are right.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

So with the magic of the web we came up with a new distributor less than $50. The boy put the new part on had a time getting the o-ring into the opening. It's in. He went thru the whole shebang from taking off the valve cover all the way to setting the distributor. So we know the timing is on. He tried to start it and got it to pop a couple times. That was it. He was not giving the motor gas but ended up with gas coming out of the exhaust pipe. He pulled a plug and said it was wet. So here we are again seeking wisdom. We need to get this thing running so my wife will quit with "the look"
BG Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

If he wasn't giving it gas, and it's got fuel coming out of the exhaust, check the float in the carb. It might be stuck. Try tapping on the float bowl with a wrench to see if that frees it up.
Twoguys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery motor Reply with quote

We took the carb off. It is a picture 34-3. When we did gas poured out of the end that attaches to the manifold. Then we took the plugs out and turned motor and as you guessed gas shot out of the plug holes. As you can see in the picture and have mentioned the intake is a total rig job. The manifold input has a 3" stud to stud dimension. Can we get a carb to fit directly to the Intake and loose that God awful turkey neck looking adapter or just rebuild the carb. Our first goal is to just get it running. Oh when we let it air out and put the plugs back in we hit it with some starter fluid and she fired. The boy was excited about that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: