Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

generator terminals repair?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

Bought a rebuilt bosch generator for my 71 and it arrived with both terminals bent. Gently tried to straighten one and of course it broke right off. Can these be replaced? Or are there other options (besides sending it back)? thanks byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

If you mess with it any chance of sending it back, if it still doesn't work, will be lost so return it.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
If you mess with it any chance of sending it back, if it still doesn't work, will be lost so return it.

curious if you read the original post. he already messed with it and broke it, hence the question about how to fix it.
should have contacted the seller prior to messing with it. i would think that returning it is not an option anymore (or would be a dooshebag thing to do) - you broke it, you bought it.
it's been a while since i had a generator apart, but if i recall correctly the terminals are either held in with a nut from underneath or soldered in. they put them in somehow, so a repair should be possible, provided you have a core to strip for parts.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

Just so you know brand new generators are available for various VW parts jobbers.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

Those terminals are a funny square headed bolt with the wire soldered to it or pinched under a ring terminal, You could make your own with a little careful grinding and filing, depends on your level of craftiness and if you feel confident digging into a generator (it has to come apart to replace them).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Just so you know brand new generators are available for various VW parts jobbers.

who is selling new GR17 generators these days? I might buy one to keep on the shelf.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

curious if you read the original post. he already messed with it and broke it, hence the question about how to fix it.
should have contacted the seller prior to messing with it. i would think that returning it is not an option anymore (or would be a dooshebag thing to do) - you broke it, you bought it.
it's been a while since i had a generator apart, but if i recall correctly the terminals are either held in with a nut from underneath or soldered in. they put them in somehow, so a repair should be possible, provided you have a core to strip for parts.

If it arrived bent it could have arrived broke. Was the box damaged or did they send garbage or failed to package it correctly, Visa or Paypal and stop payment saying it was broke.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
If it arrived bent it could have arrived broke. Was the box damaged or did they send garbage or failed to package it correctly, Visa or Paypal and stop payment saying it was broke.

the original post reads, try to follow along, i'll go slowly: [highlights mine]

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
Bought a rebuilt bosch generator for my 71 and it arrived with both terminals bent. Gently tried to straighten one and of course it broke right off. Can these be replaced? Or are there other options (besides sending it back)? thanks byron

so, to me, and who knows - maybe i'm a fukktarded-asswad for thinking this, it means that when he initially took it out of the box after it arrived, he saw that both terminals were bent (NOT BROKEN), and before contacting the seller about the damage (seller remains a mystery), he tried to straighten one of the posts (presuming it was the first one, with no attempt at the second following the results of the first), it broke, hence the origination of this thread.

i still feel that trying to return it, stopping payment, making a paypal claim, whatever, and blaming the damage on powers from beyond the stratosphere would be a total and utter bag-o-doosh thing to do, especially since this thread has evidence and admission by the o.p. to the contrary.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

Sounds to me like he tried to make a damaged unit functional. I think most of us have done the same at one time. He has not raised the cost of repair to the rebuilder as the rebuilder would just have broken the stud had he tried to straighten it. It is all a matter of how much effort and fuss he is willing to go through to get it replaced. Some times it is just better for ones mental health to toss a non functioning part into the trash verses going through all the hoops to get it replaced.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

yeah, i agree, but if it would have been me and i received a damaged rebuilt generator, the first thing i would have done after seeing the damage would have been to contact/call/email the seller to see how they wanted to handle their damaged product. live and learn i guess.
perhaps the next step for the o.p. should/could be to find a local rebuilder to see what needs to be done to replace it (if he is not willing to take on the repair himself). the gen is rebuilt already, it doesn't (or shouldn't) need a major overhaul, just a repair.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

who is selling new GR17 generators these days? I might buy one to keep on the shelf.

I have a lot of used ones, curious where the new ones are.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I have a lot of used ones.

Hoarder! Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: generator terminals repair? Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
hazetguy wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I have a lot of used ones, curious where the new ones are.

Only the GR15N is available, but if all you have is a 30 regulator it isn't going to make much difference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: