Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI BUS
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The ambition of more power is not always good. Let me explain. I got the kit to built my TDI bus from Kennedy engineering. The day that I ordered the kit I told them that the engine was a 90 hp tdi from a 2002 jetta. They recommended a stage one pressure plate and that's what I got. When I finally finished the conversion, the power was amazing. The cars trying to pass me getting off a green light is a hole different story, plus they get the surprise of their life. Then the ambition for more power started to grow in me. That's when I mess up. The bus already had a stage one Malone tunning that Kennedy didn't know about at the time of recommending the stage one pressure plate. Then I decided to install Bosio Sprint 520 nozzles and I did. The power it was even more amazing than before. Someone in the TDI forum mention that I was going to need a new clutch soon. Well I guess that that person was correct. The torque is so much that the stage one pressure plate can't hadle it. I talked to the guys at Kennedy and they recommended a stage three pressure plate. I want to mention that they offered to upgrade the pressure plate free of charge, I just have to pay for the shipping. The customer service at Kennedy is great. Anyway, now I have to take the engine out and replace the pressure plate. I'm telling you the ambition for more power is not always good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Next you値l find out what a VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo is and you値l hate me forever for how incredible it will be Cool

Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

That is an amazing build. I really like how you notched the fuel tank to get thhe engine to fit properly. I'm just curious, what kind of fuel mileage are you seeing?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Next you値l find out what a VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo is and you値l hate me forever for how incredible it will be Cool

Wink

they are awesome....until the plates coke and it sends the flappers into the turbine. they are neat...but just not very reliable imho...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

[quote="Mispeld"]That is an amazing build. I really like how you notched the fuel tank to get thhe engine to fit properly. I'm just curious, what kind of fuel mileage are you seeing?

I'm gettig 26 mpg. This bus is really heavy, plus big tires and the solar panels that are like sails in a boat, I have alot of wind resistance. I'm happy with my 26 mph . I use to get 13mph.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

She's not that heavy.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
how much did all that cost?

I think like $7500 plus my timex 48 days.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Now I have the power to pull myself
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

That winch bumper is perfect. (height)
So many modern trucks,like Tacoma 4x4, don't even match the old 70s stuff.
Tear your front nose metal open like a can of tuna.
Not a problem with the unit you have!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
That winch bumper is perfect. (height)
So many modern trucks,like Tacoma 4x4, don't even match the old 70s stuff.
Tear your front nose metal open like a can of tuna.
Not a problem with the unit you have!

Totally agree...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

The way this build has been growing momentum over the past few years>>>>Fast forward a year from today...>>> Dually rear axle conversion.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

You know, if ANY bus merits this kind of conversion - The 'Zombie Bus' as I affectionately call it does. Can't wait to see what you do next!
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
You know, if ANY bus merits this kind of conversion - The 'Zombie Bus' as I affectionately call it does. Can't wait to see what you do next!

Next is here Ostrich Wing awning

inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Air bags for the girl

markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Very nice!

Questions:

What engine did you use?

What is your IAT after cruising for a long time on a highway? What's the worst IAT you've seen?

What mods in the Trans?

Very Cool!

Mark
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Wink

I found out what a VNT17 is. I hate you. Time for a new clutch and pressure plate. Lol
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

markd89 wrote:
Very nice!

Questions:

What engine did you use?

What is your IAT after cruising for a long time on a highway? What's the worst IAT you've seen?

What mods in the Trans?

Very Cool!

Mark

TDI 1.9 AHL from a 2002 Jetta
What is IAT?
The tranny is a 002 regeared for the TDI and equipped with LSD
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

IAT:

Intake Air Temperature. Kind of a measure of how effective your intercooler system is. Readable through the OBD port with an app or something.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

Yep, I use a Scanguage2 which plugs in to the OBD2 port. It's configurable to show 4 data points at the same time.

The intercooler IMO is the biggest challenge with the rear-mounted engine setup. I tried several things before getting to two air-water intercoolers in series. Someone with a Vanagon on TDIClub.com did a giant Air-Air intercooler flat underneath the bus which seemed to work better than my setup and be much simpler.

IAT is a challenge not only because we can't mount the intercooler at the front of the bus but also because we run more boost more of the time as we're pushing around a heavier and less aerodynamic vehicle.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI BUS Reply with quote

[quote="vwwestyman"]IAT:

Intake Air Temperature. Kind of a measure of how effective your intercooler system is. Readable through the OBD port with an app or something.[/quote

To be honest with you, I never heard about it. I just keep my EGT under 700* and she seems to be happy like that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: