Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

have paint and clear left over and want to spray aluminum-can l?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: have paint and clear left over and want to spray aluminum-can l? Reply with quote

I have paint and clear left over since my bug was painted and want to spray a small motorcycle frame...
It doesn’t have to be a fantastic job. I have mixing jars and preval sprayers and I believe it would be a “kind of” easy job since I have most of what I need.
The paint is DuPont cromax and the clear is DuPont high-end clear.
Basically, what (if it can be done) would I need to do?
It’s aluminum.
I also have por-15 that I have used in the past, but doesn’t that fade in the sun? It’s also black and I want the frame to match my bug.
Thank you for your help!!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: have paint and clear left over and want to spray aluminum-can l? Reply with quote

You'll have to use a primer specifically for aluminum like aluminum oxide primer or zinc chromate primer. It will etch the aluminum surface like self etching primers for steel. Then you can put what you want over the top.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: have paint and clear left over and want to spray aluminum-can l? Reply with quote

Thank you. I’ll look into it.
👍
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: have paint and clear left over and want to spray aluminum-can l? Reply with quote

Make sure you read this before using a paint product with hardener.

http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/your-lungs-your-skin-your-life/
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: have paint and clear left over and want to spray aluminum-can l? Reply with quote

Coolio. Thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: