Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recipe for a stop light stunner
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

Dave, that’s 1500lbs w/o driver right?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

Sounds like a very personal question Shocked
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

And what if I asked if he has a preference for short rods or long rods?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
And what if I asked if he has a preference for short rods or long rods?

Now that really, Sounds personal! Laughing

If i remember correctly. Dave has stated that he's kinda portly. Shocked Just sayin. Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

Dave don’t take it personal it will ruin my hopes for political office.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106877

Mark Herbert wrote:
My 1400lb 65 Bug (with driver) went 11.03 at almost 122mph before Carlsbad got closed down and I drove around the streets of OC destroying anything in its path.

There’s been a few developments in components in the last 13 years as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
clonebug wrote:
A 2000 lb bug would need 182 whp to keep up.

There aren't many if any NA T1 strokers that will put out that much power.

It's not anywhere near as hard as you think to build a 220 HP N/A engine using all off the shelf store bough parts. You can very easily gut a street legal Bug down to 1500 Lbs. Add a close ratio gearbox and your whipping their ass. What it really takes is money and that is what a lot of people don't have.

Where are these easily built 220 Whp N/A engines????

Only one N/A engine in the Builds/Combo thread has a dyno sheet of over 200 whp and that is Neil68. He says 204 whp and 175 lb. ft. torque.

Nothing else comes close unless you spend more than what you can buy a Subaru STI for.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

Stop confusing wheel HP and flywheel HP, you know the difference right?

Easily is a relative term. Off the shelf parts 100% easy, yes. Pickup the phone, jump on the www, order parts. However, building engines takes patience.

My 2275 would have made 220-230hp at SL (based on ET/MPH) and my current engine made 242whp (with more to come!) but that might fall into the second category, although I'm not sure what I'd do with a STI. And that engine is most certainly not easy to build.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

2332 or 2387 buit rghtan trans t handle it then car to handle them. mght an to just buy a new mustang.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Stop confusing wheel HP and flywheel HP, you know the difference right?

Easily is a relative term. Off the shelf parts 100% easy, yes. Pickup the phone, jump on the www, order parts. However, building engines takes patience.

My 2275 would have made 220-230hp at SL (based on ET/MPH) and my current engine made 242whp (with more to come!) but that might fall into the second category, although I'm not sure what I'd do with a STI. And that engine is most certainly not easy to build.

What good does crank hp tell you??? Cuz it makes it sound more powerful???

Pull the belt and don't tell anyone you are dynoing it without a cooling fan or an alternator turning............ Rolling Eyes

The power to the wheels is what you measure going down the track so why convert back to crank hp???
Can't hardly race a subie at the stoplight when the engine is on the dyno stand can you....... Rolling Eyes Laughing

There might be 1% here on this forum that could build any engine at that level let alone pay for it.

Go through the build/combo thread....one engine over 200 whp......lots of 180-190 hp "I'm Guessing" engines but probably wouldn't top 160 crank or whp. Rolling Eyes

Post the dyno sheets......wheel or crank......I don't care. If it's not in the car it's driven with.... it don't mean diddly....... Wink

Post the fuel you are using too.

Might as well post compression ratio also to see if it is really a street car or a trailered race car. Confused

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
clonebug wrote:

It's not anywhere near as hard as you think to build a 220 HP N/A engine using all off the shelf store bough parts. You can very easily gut a street legal Bug down to 1500 Lbs. Add a close ratio gearbox and your whipping their ass. What it really takes is money and that is what a lot of people don't have.

Yup. Not just money is needed though. Some lack talent to build a naturally aspirated aircooled engine that really moves.
I have beat turbo WRXs in all motor no tech aircooled VW. The feeling is worth it VW Logo VW Logo VW Logo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

Flywheel HP is just another yard stick. Most engine builders build engines, therefore they dyno them on an engine dyno.

Here’s mine. On the rollers. And your right, no fan belt. Have you seen what happens when a fan explodes?

So guessing aside, this engine made 242whp with some funky stuff going on in the fuel curve. We couldn’t provide enough fuel up top.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don’t need to post the dyno sheet, the car runs. And has run a 6.89@100mph in the 1/8 (on the limiter in 3rd). That would be a 10.7-10.8 pass?!?. It has 12.5:1 and runs in vp110. It was built around E85, but I didn’t want to run E85 through the IDAs and have planned on injection which it is currently undergoing.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

this is a dyno sheet for my 2.6 NA Ghia with 48DRLA's at the wheels with a tight fan belt on a standard type 1 pulley ratio on pump unleaded, it is a true daily driver and can sit in stop start traffic on +30C days without melting the heads or oil temp concerns and also sit on 4000rpm at freeway speeds for hours. It is a work in progress with a custom shroud and conservative self ported heads and cheap scat cam. I have a 091 box with a Peloquin diff.
As can be seen by the AFR there is more HP to be found also the DRLA's are most likely too small for a 2.6 spinning to 7000rpm.
I've only had it on the 1/8 for one meet , best was 8.80 at 83mph in full street trim.
A good friend also has a similar engine/trans combo in a bay panel . So those high NA engines are out there. On a side note both these engines have been no more expensive to build then any other quality engine is .
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

This will do it
Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

Move 2-4 gears down, the expensive one is 2nd gear as you have to do a mainshaft with first and then get first anyways.

I'm hoping for a 160HP and don't think I can beat tons of cars, but hope I can at least look better coming off the line with the wheels up.

If budget is a concern I would go with a 3.78/2.06/1.32/.93 as those are the common factory ratios. 4th will be fine tooth, but it will be a cruise gear anyways.

The car will be a system from end to end, it all needs to match to get the best performance. I'm gutting my car and plan for plastic windows in the rear to help drop weight even after ripping out everything else I can. Short tires also reduce the overall gearing just like the ring and pinion.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Flywheel HP is just another yard stick. Most engine builders build engines, therefore they dyno them on an engine dyno.

Here’s mine. On the rollers. And your right, no fan belt. Have you seen what happens when a fan explodes?

So guessing aside, this engine made 242whp with some funky stuff going on in the fuel curve. We couldn’t provide enough fuel up top.

I don’t need to post the dyno sheet, the car runs. And has run a 6.89@100mph in the 1/8 (on the limiter in 3rd). That would be a 10.7-10.8 pass?!?. It has 12.5:1 and runs in vp110. It was built around E85, but I didn’t want to run E85 through the IDAs and have planned on injection which it is currently undergoing.

So you are saying your car is not a street car right????

Stoplights don't wait while you pull the fan belt......... Wink

Which gas station sells that VP110 fuel out of a pump?

I could see E85 but even that is not available in all areas......not where I live at least.
I guess if you get to use E85 then so does the Subaru.....not all subies are stock either.
You might want to pick on the WRX's and the Legacy's....... Cool

A stripped down, gutted bug is not what I consider an everyday driver like the Subaru that has full interior and air conditioning.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
A chipped Subaru STI makes about 300 whp.

If you turbo it you can make enough power.

This is the bottom line...., HP to weight.

Not sure why you’re using 2000lbs. as a reference for a Beetle, but that’s a TANK. The 74 Super in my avatar is 2020, and that’s with a 4x8 sheet of 18 gauge, and 40lbs. of .023 wire. Beetles barely tipped the scales over 1800lbs. till all the safety shit of the shock bumpers, and stuff in the mid 70’s was added. Marks car from my example weighed 1400lbs. with him in it, and made 210 at the flywheel. Since you’re so hung up on wheel HP, call it 180 at the wheels. If that’s not good enough, calculate 1400lbs., 11.03@121, and see what wheel hp you get. Also not sure in what way you’re calculating, but what’s the Subaru have to have to keep up with Marks SSB at 1400lbs with 180? What’s to say the Subaru doesn’t have a bunch of stereo shit, and air tanks for a bag system adding 400lbs.? Sure, 1400lbs. is stripped down, but a friend got his all steel, stock bumper’d, 6 point cage’d 66 down to 1750 with him in it without any drastic measures. You can play Devil’s advocate for either car all day long if you really want to.

clonebug wrote:
A stripped down, gutted bug is not what I consider an everyday driver like the Subaru that has full interior and air conditioning.

When did this become a discussion of street practicality, and creature comforts? We are compairing a 45+ year old compact car that had it’s base design created in the 30’s to a modern car that was most likely designed after 2012, are we not? That’s like comparing a 1965 Mustang to a 2018 Mustang....
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

Volkie1 wrote:
What is the best build recipe for a stop light stunner to leave the local Subaru drivers in the dust. Don't say Subaru it has to be air cooled

Give Ian at WPS a bell. He´s right in your back garden, and that´s exactly his game.
T
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

Volkie1 wrote:
What is the best build recipe for a stop light stunner to leave the local Subaru drivers in the dust. Don't say Subaru it has to be air cooled

$30,000 USD for a "stop light stunner"
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe for a stop light stunner Reply with quote

Volkie1 wrote:

$30,000 USD for a "stop light stunner"
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: