Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 front and rear brake questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

First off, I have a 1969 standard beetle with front and rear drum brakes.

I changed the stock front drum brakes to a Brasilia's (Type 321) front disc brake. Should the type 3 brake pads (311698151C) fit on the disc brakes I have? If not, which part number should I be looking?

Currently, the rear drum brakes are 4 lugs, and planning on changing it with 113501615G. Will they fit?
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

Anyone who could help me?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

I cannot help you, as I have never worked on a type 321. My first time seeing one was today, 10 minutes ago, after reading your post. Sorry.

But maybe they share components, as you are suggesting, with other VW cars. How about posting some photos to help us see what is there and what needs to be thought about? I think that may get the ball rolling.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

From this:

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/centric-c-tek-semi-metallic-brake-pads

It looks like they are the same as classic rabbit/dasher.
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

Yeah, it was my mistake for not taking the pads out and took pictures. In addition, will the rear drum brakes fit a '69 beetle?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

If you don't get a direct answer, look into the difference between type 3 rear brakes and type 4 rear brakes. This may help figure out what's on the back of the Brasilia. For example ,to use type 3 brakes on the rear of a U.S bug you need the backing plates and the hubs from a type 3 as well.

Are the Brasilia wheels 4 X 130 like the beetle's.
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

Yes, Brasilia's have 4 lugs similar to the 68 onwards standard beetle. Anyways, I have a stock drum rear brakes and planning on changing it. I'm not only sure if part #113501615G would fit.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

On the Ebay, listings they have the same part number for the beetle but I would not go only on that information. So they might have the same brakes. Why don't you measure the drums and see if the diameter or width is different?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

Found a listing for the "G" brake drums.... looks like they will work on '68'79 Beetles.
https://www.vwnos.com/113-501-615-g

Most other current listings I can find for Late Model Beetle rear brake drums show up with part#: 113-501-615-J
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D113%2D501%2D615%2DJGR
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/brake-drum-rear-ate-omc-italy/
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 front and rear brake questions Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed that as well so I asked here.

I will check them brakes when I get back home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: