Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
thefalconer_88 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The seal on the speedometer seems to be intact!

Money shot Wink
No funk anywhere.

That’s not the right red wax colour

I’m totally just being a$$wipe, it’s gorgeous
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

That’s not the right red wax colour

I’m totally just being a$$wipe, it’s gorgeous
That’s not the right spelling of “color”. Down the pub for a pint? Wink Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Today we are taking our other 71 up to Madison, Wisconsin area for the JOGR shop party. I don't think I mentioned that we have the exact copy of the low miles bus except for the stripe.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

I saw this bus in your photo gallery. I am glad that this low mileage bus was found by real bus lovers. I still can’t get over it. Been telling all my friends about it even if they don’t care. Lol!
I hope you take a bazillion photos of everything for us at some point.
Would love to see this thread continued with any updates as well. This is a big deal in the world of bay windows.
Did it come with a side tent too?
Geez, I just want to see more and more of it. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

You could do the community a great service by documenting everything, and I mean everything, in pictures. When you have a piece like this, it’s a great reference tool for rebuild detail.

You could just slowly shoot video over each surface in about 15 minutes of time.

You could probably lightly monetize this but that would make you a Richard-wad to some..most..most every.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

The only monetization that's going to happen is when I sell the bus!

I'm hoping to do a side by side video of both my 71's. I'm noticing lots of small differences and their build dates are only 2 months apart: 9/70 and 11/70

I haven't touched this bus in a while... life has been busy with our two children, work, and trying to squeeze in a few more outings in our other buses.

I did however work on our other 71 last week replacing some pushrod tubes, stripping out a rocker stud Embarassed , replacing said stud, and installing a vintage speed exhaust! I'd like to keep this thread just about the low miles bus, but I cant help sharing a few pictures!

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Whew, glad to see that VS muffler is on the driver bus. Nothing against it but that low miler deserves NOS parts of at all possible.
Still drooling over here. Wink
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
Whew, glad to see that VS muffler is on the driver bus. Nothing against it but that low miler deserves NOS parts of at all possible.
Still drooling over here. Wink

Rest assured! It will be kept stock and only Nos parts or closest to that will be used. I promise!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

I pulled the pedal pan off yesterday. There is a solid 1-2" of nut shells, paper, mouse crap, etc! I could tell from the bottom side that it was soft and probably junk... I was right. I already have another good 71 pan to replace it.

I also pulled the bung off the fuel tank. It was totally plugged. I tried to flush it with some gas but you can tell there is a lot of "varnish" in the bottom. It's going to have to be pulled eventually, but I'm not ready to yet.

Still I put new fuel line in from the tank to the firewall along with a clear plastic filter. Fuel was flowing through the filter, but I couldn't get fuel past the pump. I have spark, but no fuel. I'll set up an auxillary tank this week to make sure it's getting fuel.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Yeah... sitting can kill just as easily as miles... Luckily steering, and suspension should be good still. And best of all (at least from the Midwest view) is its rust free and straight. Best of luck.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

I am sure you know this... but if you pull the motor to replace your tank and fuel sender, you will be given a great opportunity to replace your equally aged fuel filler neck, vapor hoses and and also have the motor out to the point that it is very easy to pull some tin and verify the mice who lived under the pedal cover pan did not also set up shop in the nooks and crannies of the engine... blocking the air flow around the cylinder cooling fins.

Keep the pictures and story coming! Gives us all a lot of motivation. Cool
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s a car, not a museum piece.

Enjoy it on the road where it belongs.

Angled fuel pump? Is that 1971?

Did you get that sorted? I might have an OG 1971 from my old Bus in my stash - the right one won't be that hard to find though.

German please.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Abscate wrote:
It’s a car, not a museum piece.

Enjoy it on the road where it belongs.

Angled fuel pump? Is that 1971?

Did you get that sorted? I might have an OG 1971 from my old Bus in my stash - the right one won't be that hard to find though.

German please.

I do have the original pierburg pump. I have a few spares laying around too. Looking at rebuilding one here shortly. Thank you!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I am sure you know this... but if you pull the motor to replace your tank and fuel sender, you will be given a great opportunity to replace your equally aged fuel filler neck, vapor hoses and and also have the motor out to the point that it is very easy to pull some tin and verify the mice who lived under the pedal cover pan did not also set up shop in the nooks and crannies of the engine... blocking the air flow around the cylinder cooling fins.

Keep the pictures and story coming! Gives us all a lot of motivation. Cool

I plan on digging in to all of that once it's out. I'm sure there is more mouse junk to be found. For now I'd just like to hear it run. I will post a video of it running once that happens!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/Srrv78UfleU

Its alive!

Don't worry I only ran it inside the shop for just a little longer than my video.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:

Link

Its alive!

Don't worry I only ran it inside the shop for just a little longer than my video.

Fixed it for you Wink

(Highlight link and then click “YouTube” button at the top, or click once, post link, click second time)

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
thefalconer_88 wrote:

Link

Its alive!

Fixed it for you Wink

(Highlight link and then click “YouTube” button at the top, or click once, post link, click second time)

Thank you! I was wondering how to do that!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Sounds pretty good for a startup

Quote:

Yeah, dont do this. Would you run it for 10 minutes in your garage? Im guessing not. Well, if the carb is gunned or plugged, you can easily be pumping out 10x more CO than 'spec', so one minute in bad tune can really CO you.

50,000 ER visits a year, 500 deaths.

That little person has much less HGb than you, and is much more susceptible to CO, too.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, dont do this. Would you run it for 10 minutes in your garage? Im guessing not. Well, if the carb is gunned or plugged, you can easily be pumping out 10x more CO than 'spec', so one minute in bad tune can really CO you.

That little person has much less HGb than you, and is much more susceptible to CO, too.

Good point. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thank you.
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

If a bus is going to kill you, it should be this one. Jims shop is really big, can ventilate, and hes not an idiot.

This bus is awesome! I am so glad that Shelby and Jim landed it, its literally a bus that can change your life, and they are good shits that deserve it! I'm local-ish to them, and if they slack on the pics ill go motivate them! I'm really excited to be close to the bus and able to see it.

As for the physical condition, i agree that being in a garage for 40 years can take its own toll, especially on rubber parts. it most likely got new tires when they moved it because the originals were dry rotted, that is reasonable and a good explanation for that. The aftermarket bumper things i bet were bought the day after they bought the bus originally, because they are cool, reminiscent of splittys, and add "safety".

I have a vintage smallframe Vespa with only 600 or so miles on it since new, but it has a couple dents and scrapes from when the original owner dumped it. She dumped it and never rode it again. Looking at the dents The Cole's bus has, i could see the orig owner bumping something in the first 2500 miles, being sick to her stomach and parking it.

as far as insurance, yes get as mush as you can. I wouldn't value it anything less that 50k, and if you can get 80-100k do it. lots and lots of pictures, and there are a few comparable low mile bays that have been sold for big$$ that you can use as comparable.

Its truly an awesome bus and I cant wait to ride in it at least around the yard! keep those pics flowing....

thefalconer_88 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Quote:

Good point. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thank you.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: