Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with outer scraper vent window fit
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

I’m sure I found a thread at some about this exact same problem but darned if I can find it now. The outer scraper fit well everywhere else but does not fit snugly at the front curve. There is a tab that points down and I’m not sure if it needs to be folded under something. Not sure if it’s possible to bend the chrome to fit the curve either. The scraper and seals are the higher quality versions from Bus Depot and the window went in as easily as could be expected. As always, thanks for the help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

you have to contour it to the body and fold the tab under

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

That chrome looks mighty tweaked, time for some careful thumb work. Yes that tab should bend down and around the bottom of the door skin lip to keep the tip of the chrome in place. The tip looks like it's down between the door and window right now, it should be raised so it's on the horizontal edge all the way to the front.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

Thanks. The chrome came like a that out of the box. I’m certain it didn’t get tweaked putting it in. Probably best to taken the window back out as it is wasn’t actually that bad to put in. Bend the tab under and very carefully work it down into the door contour. Might cut a piece of wood to the contour and tap it down to fit, with lots of tape underneath.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

this is a job that I have read about, and scares me to even attempt. How was it? was this your first one?
like everything, a would bet that your first door would be like 4 hours, and the second one 2 hours or less
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

I completely redid my cab door including painting it inside and out. None of the window stuff is rocket science, just lots of fiddly time consuming chicken shit with stuff that’s delicate, a tight fit and hard to see. It’s stuff like one clip that won’t go in or in my case the corner that won’t fit that I will either sort out or break. Redoing a vent window is a lot of work for what it does, but it goes in like everybody says. It’s easy to slip with a tool and scrape the paint, which I have so far managed to not do more because I’m lucky, not because I’m good. Lots of time spent cleaning cruddy door guts. Not a job to do right before a camping trip. Way better in the dead of winter, in front of the TV, having a beer and huffing brake cleaner. Second one is probably half the time.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

That has to be the toughest job on a baywindow bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

Nah, I’d go with:
Headliners
Avoiding getting smashed by Michigan drivers
Chrome window trim on FYE glass
Front doors with a good kit/original inner scraper wire
Front doors with a cheap kit/new inner scraper wire

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

Avoiding getting smashed by Michigan drivers

Wink

And Jalousie seals.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

i did inner scrapers with everything still assembled on the door, and thought it was cake.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

i did inner scrapers with everything still assembled on the door, and thought it was cake.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with outer scraper vent window fit Reply with quote

Got it done. I had to backtrack a bit as I had forgotten the clip and bolt that puts tension on the vent window and again as the vent window post has to be out of the way for the window regulator to fit. No matter how many times I reread so many sets of instructions...

The chrome bit was the easiest part. Bend the tab over, tape between the door and the pointy end of the chrome and squash it in gently with thumb to take the contour. I was happy with how it came out...one of those jobs that really sucks the first time, much easier once done. Thanks again for the help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: