Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

turned out great!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

can not believe that is the same paint! awesome work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

This is coming together real nice!... impressive!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

whoa! It's coming together really well, can't wait to see it with the trim on!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

id'r wrote:
Hey everyone. I have a nice update coming with a ton of pics, but here's a few teasers. The OG paint buffed out sweet and the limited repair/blending integrates great! When I rolled up to Silver Lining Restoration yesterday, I thought that Morrie had mistakenly done a rotisserie full resto!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All original paint in this view except for rocker and lower cargo door blending.

All original here...

SWR respray/blend on driver door and lower dog leg panel (original door had a repair and old respray). Everything else on this side OG with original rocker.

SWR and left side B/G original. Upper section below driver window blended. (really happy with how it matches the passenger side area!)

When I have a moment I'll upload a full report. I'm stoked! Thx for looking.

Daaaaamn Morrie got down
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Amazing original paint buffed out. Applause
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorrieH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

This is probably one of my favorite preservation restoration. Still just amazed how nice that OG paint was. Hats off to Jason for keeping the bus inside for the last 30 years. He completely saved the bus. Can't wait to see it on the road again.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Dayum Shocked Nice to see that OG paint pop. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Wow...

That's really pretty amazing. Looks great!
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

So with the bus sitting for well over 2 years with no activity, we're back at it. I say "we" because my 10-year-old is entirely invested now. He's a serious "car guy" and we're proceeding with getting "our" bus back together as a team. I'm very much looking forward to this dad/son effort. And now I have a good excuse to make it last as long as possible!

Last month, we moved the bus from its 30+ year home at my folks place to our home in Portland. I guess I should have expected this with a bus, but the waves/thumbs up driving up I-5 with it in tow were very cool.

We have a 1-car garage, but it's not terrible. We can work on two sides at least. Smile

The current plan is to get the 1500 (1966 vintage) up and running and do some drives around the neighborhood to see what needs to be sorted. This motor is still free and was running when parked, so I'm optimistic. New packages with carb rebuild kit, ignition parts and new original style muffler have just arrived!

Other than that, we're sorting out the rest of the parts from storage and developing a plan. The goal for this bus is a driver, meaning the occasional commute to work and any weekend we want to take it out.

I'll try to keep this post updated...it helps with progress!

Bonus from this morning...You know your kid loves his bus when he elects to do his school zoom meetings in the sub 40 degree garage. 😂💪

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699902&highlight=65+barn+find
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Goal is to get this bus into safe working order and drive it around this summer, with or without cosmetics done. My stretch goal is to drive it to the Bug Run in Woodburn, OR June 5th. Lots of work needed, but need a deadline to get real work done.

I've been super aimless and undisciplined in my work, tending to avoid the more mundane or pain-in-the ass items (electrical). Also not that great at documentation, but here's an update. I don't have much in the way of hero shots for this update.

Sunroof restoration. I broke down the entire assembly to see what I have. This sunroof was removed from the bus in 1988 and kicked around the barn in various places. It wasn't too bad, but had it been properly stored, it would have resulted in much less attention.

I sent an email to Grumpy's as I'll be purchasing wear parts from them, as well as the sunroof and tension strap. After looking through a few images I had sent, he called me back and was very helpful in determining what I needed and what could be saved. Grumpy's should change their name to NotGrumpy...nice people.

One of the things I felt could be saved were the support tubes (I thought these were rods initially, but they are in fact tubes with smashed ends). As you could see above, mine were bent to hell and back. Fortunately, Grumpy's tipped me off on a few techniques to get them geometrically correct (hint: straighten fully first, then introduce the arc). I also built a simple wood jig that helped the process, but all in all, it was quite simple. Just took some time.

Next up was breaking down the mechanism. Everything is free and operational, and I only had one screw removal. What needed attention was a new..."grip strip"? I got this from WW and welded it in place.

I have some most of the parts at the soda blaster and expect everything back this week, ready for paint, and later final assembly.

id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Over the winter break, my son and I got the engine going. I've brought many non-vw engines back to life, but the process holds for the most part. Keep in mind that the intent was for instant gratification, cold temperature 1-2 minute run-time. The reason I say that is the tin wasn't removed to check for clogged fins, old cooler seals were still there, etc.

Even so, it sure costs a bit of money to get an old VW motor going. Remember, the last time I actively worked on VW motors was the late eighties.

The engine is a 1966 with a PICT30-1. I actually managed to find a matching dizzy locally. My son and I rebuilt the carb (both check balls removed and cleaned), installed new ignition components, new fuel lines and filter, belt (ran the old one on initial start up), muffler (old one was rotten), and a few other odds and ends.

We flushed the fuel tank out several times and found no rust or scale. Oiled up the cylinders, ran the motor by hand several times, then with the starter without plugs, then buttoned it up.

It took about 30 seconds of cranking and it fired up, spit out its oldness, then ran...really, really well. I adjusted the timing a bit and it held a really nice idle. We'll need to verify that "really, really well" comment with actual driving, but it was an encouraging start to say the least.

You can hear it here. Smile

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJaNjVxBcCw/

Reading through a lot of posts on thesamba regarding engine fires, I'm going to move that fuel filter to the other side of the fire wall. Will probably also get a fire suppression system.

Question on engine next steps. I'm planning on doing a compression check and oil pressure reading to see where things stand, then removing the engine, removing the tin and checking/cleaning the cylinder fins, replacing seals, etc. If everything checks out, I see no reason to go into this engine further. While the plan is to address all safety concerns, I'm OK with the reliability of a used engine. Anything else I should add to my list on the engine?

Same question on transmission. Replace input shaft seal, and oil. Run it. It worked fine in 1988. Very Happy

What's the best approach for reduction boxes? Break them down and reseal, check bearings or run it around a bit to see if I have any leaks or howls?

BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

id'r wrote:
What's the best approach for reduction boxes? Break them down and reseal, check bearings or run it around a bit to see if I have any leaks or howls?

I'd remove the fill and drain plugs on each reduction box, hopefully your drain plugs are the magnetic type, and see how much sludge looking magnetic crud is on the magnets. Clean them up, reinstall and refill each box with 0.25 liter (0.53 US Pint) of clean new gear oil and see how she does for a few miles then drain, inspect the drain plugs and refill again if it looks clean.

As to the cleaning of your fuel tank: I thought the tank in my 66 looked really nice after taking it out. Cleaned up great. Then I grabbed the threaded fitting in the bottom of the tank where the screen sock and the fuel line fits. It came right out. The entire fitting. Makes sense, as that is the lowest point in the tank for any water to stand and if it's going to rust apart that is exactly where it is going to happen. Hopefully yours is secure, and that is one fantastic bus you stashed away!
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
id'r wrote:

I'd remove the fill and drain plugs on each reduction box, hopefully your drain plugs are the magnetic type, and see how much sludge looking magnetic crud is on the magnets. Clean them up, reinstall and refill each box with 0.25 liter (0.53 US Pint) of clean new gear oil and see how she does for a few miles then drain, inspect the drain plugs and refill again if it looks clean.

As to the cleaning of your fuel tank: I thought the tank in my 66 looked really nice after taking it out. Cleaned up great. Then I grabbed the threaded fitting in the bottom of the tank where the screen sock and the fuel line fits. It came right out. The entire fitting. Makes sense, as that is the lowest point in the tank for any water to stand and if it's going to rust apart that is exactly where it is going to happen. Hopefully yours is secure, and that is one fantastic bus you stashed away!

Thanks for the tips. Engine pulled today to fully sort the fuel system and tank inspection. I haven't pulled a bus motor since the early 90's and it was still kinda fun.

id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

First real rain free weekend day of 2021 in Portland today (or at least it feels like it). Took the opportunity to push the bus outside and work on it.

Random work, engine pull, lights, electrical, seats and safaris!

Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Hey I have a rolling VW engine stand just sitting. When you pull the engine to do whatever final work you want to do on it, you're welcome to borrow my stand. Makes things a lot easier. Let me know.
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Oh man, that's amazing. Definitely need one to borrow. PM sent!

Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Like the thread, I'm just over the river in Battle Ground. Hope to see you and the Bus at Woodburn at the beginning of June (if there is a Woodburn this year). Feel free to reach out if you need anything. I'd invite you to Shasta next year with a few others up here to go, but your bus might be a little too nice for that.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Old Paint wrote:
Like the thread, I'm just over the river in Battle Ground. Hope to see you and the Bus at Woodburn at the beginning of June (if there is a Woodburn this year). Feel free to reach out if you need anything. I'd invite you to Shasta next year with a few others up here to go, but your bus might be a little too nice for that.

Cool, yes, driving it to Woodburn is a stretch goal this year. All my deadlines are based on the June date. Hope to see you as well.

The Shasta trip looks amazing. I'd have to have something more optimized and purpose built to make it though. While this bus is intended to be driven, it's almost certainly going to be a fair weather bus. Unfortunately I got rid of a 60' SC a few years ago that would have been perfect for that event, among other things.

scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 65' 21 Window "Barn Find" Reply with quote

Great job on bringing that paint back to life.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: