Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 v generator type
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: 6 v generator type Reply with quote

I have a few 6 volt gens and regulators sitting around. I decided to start going through them in search of the proper one to go on my 62. I have 3 that are the same, part numbers and physically identical. I have one that has a few differences and I don’t remember what I took it off of....any guesses on what this one is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The others I have look like this one....

Would this one be correct for my 62? I’m going back to 6v 40hp stale air because I want it closer to stock appearance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 v generator type Reply with quote

Looks like you've got a LG/Reg180/6/2500L2 or maybe L3

digging around (looked RickC's listing) I come up with the fact the numbers do ovelap it appears

LJ/REG 180/6/2500 L3 (113 903 021B) (Bosch 0 101 212 001)
Ty1 8/60 to 11/63

LJ/REG 180/6/2500 L3 (113 903 021B) (Bosch 0 101 212 001)
Ty1 8/60 to 11/63

LJ/REG 180/6/2500 L2 Jan. 1960 (1R) to Aug 1960

But if you want to be sure RickC will know(he rebuilds these
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 v generator type Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I googled the number as well and seen that it could have been used on early Porsche 356 or VW...

I just took apart another shroud and found a really nice looking gen that has plenty of brush left, looks really clean and still has a yellow Robert Bosch reman sticker on the bottom... this one might be a great candidate for using compared to the other two, just looks like I could install it and it would work, but I’m going to go through it and clean it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 6 v generator type Reply with quote

by the way the 9u stamp on generator means September build for the people that want matching parts

good luck
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 6 v generator type Reply with quote

Got a link to RickC's listing?...I have several old generators I'd like to confirm dates
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 6 v generator type Reply with quote

Not sure if I've ever seen that list but here's the one I put together from various VW and Bosch sources:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 6 v generator type Reply with quote

Thanks Andy!! Just what I was looking for.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 6 v generator type Reply with quote

Thank you as well Andy... we can always count on you for great information.

I think I’ve found the generator that’s gonna be acurate for what I’m doing. Over the years I’ve been squirreling away all the parts to make my 62 a close representation of original. My car is 4420XXX.... so I think it was built in Dec 61 and should be stale air... it had a later, fresh air 40 in it when I found it.

I’ve have all the correct tins and stale boxes, the metal fuel lines and metal vac line, 6v choke carb, t stat and ring, big cap dist. muffler and air cleaner.

I got to looking at gen pulleys and found this gem.

I don’t think I’ve seen one with the markings... the other one I have appears to be German but doesn’t have the stamps... I just think it kinda cool so it’s going on the build.

My engine is later but was in the car when I got it... the car was parked in 84.
I’m guessing the OE engine died early on and was replaced with a recycled engine.

I rebuilt this engine years ago and used it in my Ghia... it runs sooo nice and I balanced it well....I can idle it down to just a few hundred rpm and it doesn’t shake, you can count the firing order as it purrs.... I’m just gonna clean it and run it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: