Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket tachometer erratic at idle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mosqutio_control
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Aftermarket tachometer erratic at idle Reply with quote

I am having a unique problem that I am hoping someone may be able to help with. I installed an aftermarket Glowshift tach in my 83.5 Vanagon and am having an issue with the needle jumping erratically only at idle. As soon as you give it a little gas it corrects itself at about the 1000 RPM range and is smooth and accurate. When you return to idle, it will jump again in the 1500-2500 range indefinitely until you use the throttle again. This is only slightly annoying as the tach actually works great as I drive, but I'd love to have an accurate idle reading, if possible. I am hoping someone here has experienced and (hopefully) corrected this issue. I did run the signal wire all the way to the engine bay to the coil as I do not believe my 83.5 has a tach wire available to tap into at the cluster since the vehicle did not come factory with a tach. As an added note, I actually sent my first tach back to Amazon and asked for a replacement, thinking it may have been faulty, but the new one did the exact same thing. I am guessing the problem is Vanagon related at this point. Of course hooking up a simple tach gauge would be an act of congress, I own a Vanagon! Laughing Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket tachometer erratic at idle Reply with quote

Without exact details of the tach in question - my guess would be that it does not have sufficient smoothing capacity in the internal circuitry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket tachometer erratic at idle Reply with quote

Use the search Luke.
https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tachometer-signal-filter/
mosqutio_control
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket tachometer erratic at idle Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I did already try the Glowshift's signal filter and experienced no change in the idle reading.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: