Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle Nose Mount
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Transaxle Nose Mount Reply with quote

1987 Westfalia 2WD 2.1L Manual
I've been having an issue with my van making a scraping noise while driving. It happens when driving but stops when the clutch is engaged or while turning to the right. I've been trying to figure out the cause and have replaced some parts to try to stop the noise.
Today I might have figured out the problem. It might be the transmission nose mount. I crawled under to have a look and it looks pretty worn out and off center. I believe this would cause the noise. After taking some pictures, I came inside and ordered the Powerflex gearbox mount bushing
http://t3technique.com/suspension-bushings/powerfl...shing.html
I'm hoping this fixes the noise, but I do have a question.
To the side of the mount are 2 open threaded holes (See Picture). What are these for?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Nose Mount Reply with quote

You are right. That transaxle mount is fooked. See where its touching metal to metal. Using a prybar lever that mount back to center if you can or at least separate the two metal parts a few millimeters and go take it for a drive.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Nose Mount Reply with quote

the original parts needs to retired, replace the ground whilst your down there, clean the trans vent also Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Nose Mount Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
the original parts needs to retired, replace the ground whilst your down there, clean the trans vent also Idea

Yeah, i think the mount is still good as long as i replace the inside rubber with the poly bushings.

I'll replace the grounding strap as well. Easy job.

I'll look around for the vent. Doesn't look like a tough job either
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Nose Mount Reply with quote

Breather photos came up yesterday...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708910

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Nose Mount Reply with quote

There are actually 8 threaded holes in the crossmember to accommodate different transaxles. Only one set of 4 is correct for your trans. It should require minimal prying to get yours to align with the correct 4 holes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: