Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New tires before winter hits...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simpdog5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: New tires before winter hits... Reply with quote

I know this topic has been discussed here before, and know there's even an entire 30+ page thread dedicated to it, but I've always added the caveat "please pretend I'm a kindergartner when explaining things to me." That said, headed into winter and I'm in need of new tires at some point in the near future. Here is what I'm running now:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I live in Northern California but 90% of my driving is coastal, so don't need anything too rugged or that will work in the snow. While it does rain hard at times our winters would be considered mild compared to most places in the US. That said, I would like a little beefier look to it. Perhaps something along these lines.

So, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Having a blast so far with my van. Lot's of surfing with my boys and a few camping trips coming up- all surf related.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires before winter hits..... Reply with quote

Have a look at the Nokian Rotiva.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires before winter hits... Reply with quote

For 12 month use with winter capabilities consider Nokian: WRG4 (proper load rated car tires); WRC3 (commercial van tires) or the Rotiva AT (AT tires, not the Rotiva HT).

Each are All-Weather (4 season, winter rated) tires (not All-Season, i.e. 3 season tires, see page 2 of the product guide below for the distinction). Siping is a key characteristic of winter tires.

Siping...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping_(rubber)

This product guide has been helpful when I’ve made tire choices:
https://dc602r66yb2n9.cloudfront.net/pub/web/attac...Summer.pdf

While these Nokians are winter tires, they offer great traction in the rain and few drawbacks relative to 3-season tires. That’s why I use them in rainy Seattle (plus, the snow traction is a plus when I encounter snow)

Helpful threads...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646200

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires before winter hits... Reply with quote

The tire in the picture you like is a last generation BFG All Terrain. They don't have any close sizes to what you have now and you would take a hit to power with the 215/75-15 size, but it would give you more ground clearance.

A similar tire to the BFG is the General Grabber AT. It comes in a 205/75-15 size which is just a little bigger than what you have now. It looks like it may have been discontinued in that size, but there is probably some some inventory out there if you really want it.

This site says they have some left.
https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Tires/det...GEN1546368
Simpdog5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires before winter hits... Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm going to go with the Nokian Rotiva AT. From reading those reviews looks the ones currently on (Nokian Hakka) are pretty good as well. Continued good finds like that make me keep feeling better about buying this van last year.
Safe travels!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: