Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thermostat question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
art_lessing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: thermostat question Reply with quote

Is it possible to connect the thermostat rod to the doghouse flaps with the engine still in place?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Probably. Pull the fan shroud and lower tins if you have them, install the flaps, linkage and rod on the shroud. Thread the rod down while repositioning the shroud. Then go underneath and install the bracket and tstat. You should make some reference marks so you know what is fully open and closed.
Either use a heat gun or start the engine and verify the operation.
The fun part will be trying to reattach the lower tins.
Looong screwdriver.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

I've done it and It was a little tricky. I did what jeffrey mentioned but found that it was to difficult to feed the rod through the head, Because of that little bend in the rod. Mind you its only a small bend but when attached to the shroud it took to much of a weird angle to get it through, maybe possible with two people , But I was concerned about scraping paint if i kept at it.
So I detached the right side flaps, fed it through the head and sat in place. Then put the shroud over and into position and reattached flaps and linkage in back. This is with fan/gen assembly off and out of the way.

I also like to check the flap adjustment before replacing the fan. Heat it with a heat gun then again with compressed air a few times to see how it moves. You can see the flap positions from inside shroud without the fan in place .

Last edited by swavananda on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Quote:
You should make some reference marks

After connecting the rod from the flaps to the top of the thermostat. Put the bracket around the 'cold' thermostat, loosely tighten the nut holding the bracket to the case. Gently push the thermostat all the way up in the bracket. Tighten the bracket nut to the case to 'hold' the thermostat in that up position. After that pull the thermostat down in the bracket and put the bolt in the bottom and tighten it up.

What this does is make the 'hot' thermostat position push the flaps to the 'all the way' open position. The 'cold' position closes the flaps as much as it can. Flaps all the way open is more important than closed. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: