Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

suddently running HOT--help me figure this out
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
once upon a time your leader over there miscalculated the temperature of the Russian winter. Laughing

Damn Surprised

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
J@ngo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

I had a plastic bag stuck in my fan one time
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Oh, and now I will nitpick....You spelled Celsius incorrectly. One C, two S's, not two C's, one S. Rolling Eyes Learn to spell your units of choice.

Bug On! No matter the temperature scale!

Laughing

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
once upon a time your leader over there miscalculated the temperature of the Russian winter. Laughing

Damn Surprised

Not mine, that'd have been some other crowd. I'm Irish. We'd have had no business marching around over there in the cold.

PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
...he said "Ordered by VW Australasia to remove the t-stats at the first service interval."....

I don't want to raise the dead, but it is so entirely unique for this position to be taken by an official VW Importer/Assembler that some validation is warranted. It appears that this 'memo' was issued in the late 1950's; an interesting period for VW, as they researched solutions to curious temperature issues on their Type 1 based engines.

For almost 60 years people have been removing thermostats and flaps from these engines under the uninformed impression that they pose a restriction to the cooling system. VW did not really help in countering this practice as they spoke an engineering rationale which resulted in an 'on a need to know' flow of information.

Just to make it even more confusing, the idea of removing all these components also occurred to VW, but in the 1990's when they developed the Digifant Type 1 engine with no thermostat or flaps! But don't think of this as justification for junking the thermostat, or thinking it had anything to do with the weather in Mexico. The Digifant system was able to achieve the same results as the thermostat, in a way that carburation or the Jetronic systems could not. I have to admit that I could never quite see how this applied to the flaps but since I was getting my info from the VW engineers who developed that last engine, I must assume the issue was a little more involved.

Back to the 1950's memo. It was likely issued (still would like to see it though) when VW were struggling with varying temperatures across the cylinders; sometimes resulting in dropped valves etc. The problem was solved, initially, by retarding the ignition to #3 cylinder and then by improved ignition curves, looking at manifold lengths and mixture preheat; and finally FI. I would suggest that either the memo was an over-reaction (and therefore an error), or the memory of the memo is not accurate. Though I am more certain that many will disagree with me (if for no other reason than “it worked for me”), I am still yet to hear a convincing argument against the use of the thermostat and flaps.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
sb001 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Damn Surprised

Not mine, that'd have been some other crowd. I'm Irish. We'd have had no business marching around over there in the cold.

To paraphrase a prior post, seeing as your not really German, rather you are Irish....

"We drive on the right side here, like pretty much the rest of the world. So Ireland, Botswana, etc... stop confusing everyone by driving on the left, daring to drive on the left- catch up please."
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bug On, On Either Side Of The Road!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:
sb001 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Damn Surprised

To paraphrase a prior post, seeing as your not really German, rather you are Irish....

"We drive on the right side here, like pretty much the rest of the world. So Ireland, Botswana, etc... stop confusing everyone by driving on the left, daring to drive on the left- catch up please."
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bug On, On Either Side Of The Road!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How is any of this discussion helping the OP get his engine cooling sorted?

I'm not gonna read back through this thread to find out where SB001 may have strayed off the path to getting his engine to cool correctly.
But damn! Try to stay on topic.

If you want to have a conversation on what you feel is the correct side of the road to drive on. Make a new thread.

Leave this one for getting SB001's car back on the road. Cooly! < I doubt I spelled that correctly.

Carry on.

Good Luck Steve!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

sb001 decared success back on page 4 ...
sb001 wrote:
Just a quick update on this-
I drove the car to work and back yesterday (about 45 minutes each way.) No issues at all, ran like a champ, and did not experience any excessive heat issue. Morning drive was still cold out but afternoon drive back home temps were hovering around 70 degrees, checked the deck lid when I got back and could hold the handle no problem, even was able to touch the dipstick for about 2-3 seconds before having to pull my finger away.

I'm pretty convinced at this point I simply didn't have the thermostat properly adjusted when mounting it the first time (although it does worry me a bit that just that little discrepancy in mounting height could cause such an issue.)

Tim wins! Wink

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:

Max

Thank you for the update Max.
Like I said, "I'm not gonna read back through the thread."

It just seemed like this thread, Like so many others was running off the rails.
I was...... Eh fuck it who cares now!

Glad SB001 got it sorted.

Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Max Welton wrote:

Max

Thank you for the update Max.
Like I said, "I'm not gonna read back through the thread."

It just seemed like this thread, Like so many others was running off the rails.
I was...... Eh fuck it who cares now!

Glad SB001 got it sorted.

Have a great weekend.

You were being a big adult again, weren't you? Scolding the kids pointlessly. Wink Have a nice weekend.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: