Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Managed to mount the rear bumper but wasn’t able to get the mount seals to go in. The bumper brackets are too close to the fenders so I’m going to try loosening the fenders a bit and placing the seals then repositioning them. But my patience is exhausted for the day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Getting those seals to fit on my 74 was a bit of a struggle too. I think I finally got them to seat while working from under the fender with a small screwdriver to pry them into position.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:
Managed to mount the rear bumper but wasn’t able to get the mount seals to go in. The bumper brackets are too close to the fenders so I’m going to try loosening the fenders a bit and placing the seals then repositioning them. But my patience is exhausted for the day.

Although I have a Baja Bug, I can relate to your discouragement. Craigs List is the usual ending spot to a VW Bug project that wore the owner out. These cars are bubble gummed together by previous owners and take every bit of our patience to continue after finding new problems while trying to fix the original problem. The "snow ball effect" really defines the rebuilding of a bug. It's nice that these cars will still run with all the previous owners horror stories, but it makes it so hard to always be going one step forward and two steps back. Anyone who owns a bug knows the pain we all go through and makes owning one even more valuable. Everyone who drives a bug belongs to an exclusive club that won despite all the adversity. Keep on buggin'. You'll have people offering to buy your car all the time when you get it finished. You'll see how special that car really is when you finally make it to the finish line. Very Happy

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Everyone who drives a bug belongs to an exclusive club that won despite all the adversity. Keep on buggin'. You'll have people offering to buy your car all the time when you get it finished. You'll see how special that car really is when you finally make it to the finish line. Very Happy

True that!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:

That red is AWESOME!

Is that a factory color code for that year, or did you go with something different?
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Deebs wrote:

That red is AWESOME!

Is that a factory color code for that year, or did you go with something different?

It’s Eastwood rally red with their show clear.
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

In answer to the original question posed in this post: YEAH! Especially since I feel like I'm the only VW owner in the world that is critical of the absolutely TERRIBLE reproductions of restoration parts!
Has NO ONE sent this garbage back and complained?!
Do the vendors NOT KNOW how poorly the greater majority of repros resemble, and function like, the original VW parts!?
I haven't had to deal with VW vendors since the late 80's, so I'm shocked! Parts weren't great back then, but at least they LOOKED like a VW part, and most worked pretty well,...
I have a question,...Now that these cars are no longer produced, are the manufacturers designing these VW repros from old photos?! Or perhaps from no original example at all?
I'm in the process of returning repro pop outs right now, and just threw out a new repro interior light yesterday, and it took me a number of disappointments to get me to the point of complaining here. What crap!
I'll persevere despite. Good thing that my car has a huge number of original parts that I prefer to re-use!
Anyway, I'll step off of my "soap box" now, and allow for others to input here,...
Good luck with your projects, everyone! I hope everything goes smoothly for you all!
Todd.
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

I have a 79 with the same bumper seals you are struggling with. I have one side tha has been perfect for years, however the passenger side never stays put for more than a few months. The reason is due to being rear ended years ago and the one bumper shock is just a little bent. What I have leaned is that the easiest way to deal with them is to heat them up a little to soften them up. I use a heat gun and use a small pick to get the back little plastic tabs to snap on. Then once it is all on just right it cools back down and takes a set. Mind I am not heating to melt but to make the black plastic more pliable.
Good luck with the completion of your project. Patience can be very challenging. I have been working and tinkering with my bug for nearly 25 years. Hang in there.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

I once drove a '71 super beetle for 15 years in Chicago winters. Well went probably to fast over a set of railroad tracks and the beetle steering wheel got closer to my chest. The tunnel gave way and pinned me against the steering wheel. I thought I was on the 5:00 news.What's this story about? I decided to restored this VW. It needed lots of metal. Took apart many VW to assemble my VW. This took years. I worked for days and saw little progress. Ready to throw in the towel, but I can't a banded this. My family and friends thought I was nuts. Lost interest but I can't quit, I got a lot into it. Lots of new stuff. Well I did finally fix and it's back on the road. I wonder how many VW projects out there that got started but not finished. Luckily we have "The Samba's classifieds.
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Hang on! I had to fix three rust holes in three different wheel wells of my red Bug last week. Fixed them with a friend. And found three new ones! Your car looks so fresh and nice! Soon you will drive your red Bug around, enjoy and shoot photos like this:

Last edited by alex857 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
You'll have people offering to buy your car all the time when you get it finished.

Yeah, but their offers will usually just piss you off. Everyone remembers VWs as cheap economy cars that could be drug out of a back yard 30-40 years ago for $50-$200 & all they had to do was install points & adjust the valves to make it road worthy again. I usually just tell them “I’m sure you would” or “That’s a fair deposit, when can you come up with the rest?” when someone offers “I’ll buy it for...”.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:
You'll have people offering to buy your car all the time when you get it finished.

Yeah, but their offers will usually just piss you off. Everyone remembers VWs as cheap economy cars that could be drug out of a back yard 30-40 years ago for $50-$200 & all they had to do was install points & adjust the valves to make it road worthy again. I usually just tell them “I’m sure you would” or “That’s a fair deposit, when can you come up with the rest?” when someone offers “I’ll buy it for...”.

^^^^^THIS. The "average Joe" on the street who thinks a Bug is a cool fun car will not pony up the dough for what the car is worth. This is a hobby you do for your own enjoyment.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

wetminkey wrote:
In answer to the original question posed in this post: YEAH! Especially since I feel like I'm the only VW owner in the world that is critical of the absolutely TERRIBLE reproductions of restoration parts!
Has NO ONE sent this garbage back and complained?!
Do the vendors NOT KNOW how poorly the greater majority of repros resemble, and function like, the original VW parts!?
I haven't had to deal with VW vendors since the late 80's, so I'm shocked! Parts weren't great back then, but at least they LOOKED like a VW part, and most worked pretty well,...
I have a question,...Now that these cars are no longer produced, are the manufacturers designing these VW repros from old photos?! Or perhaps from no original example at all?
I'm in the process of returning repro pop outs right now, and just threw out a new repro interior light yesterday, and it took me a number of disappointments to get me to the point of complaining here. What crap!
I'll persevere despite. Good thing that my car has a huge number of original parts that I prefer to re-use!
Anyway, I'll step off of my "soap box" now, and allow for others to input here,...
Good luck with your projects, everyone! I hope everything goes smoothly for you all!
Todd.

I feel your pain. Yes, after market parts these days are a crap shoot. Even from reputable vendors, who are just reselling stock they get from someone else, can't even be depended upon for a quality part every time. I've probably got about 15 hours of metal fab into a replacement rear apron. I could have made one from scratch by now! I don't recall buying a single reproduction body panel that I didn't have to modify in some way to fit right. At least knowing that going in tempers expectations from now on.

Bug on...
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trynne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Yep, 9 years into this one and many cars I have done over the past 50years never took more than a year to build any of the ones in the past. I will overcome !!!!LOL

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trynne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Yep, 9 years into this one and many cars I have done over the past 50years never took more than a year to build any of the ones in the past. I will overcome !!!!LOL

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

I havent had that feeling of frustration they I may never get it finished.I know I will never get it finished. Reality can be a bitch...but she usually go's by another name....
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
The key I found is to get your ride moving, stopping, reliable and drive it!

That's my way of thinking, because after 10 years spending money and time (i remplaced over 200 parts) my Beetle still looks almost the same... but runs better.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:

bhartwell59 wrote:
The key I found is to get your ride moving, stopping, reliable and drive it!

That's my way of thinking, because after 10 years spending money and time (i remplaced over 200 parts) my Beetle still looks almost the same... but runs better.

It already looks Great! I love that color, never saw it before.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Black hound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:

I get tortured to sell mine too, when I get asked I tell them they have two problems 1 they don't have enough money and 2 it's not for sale! That soon shuts them up.
Op car lookin well now, amazing the difference Windows and bumpers made if you were to screw in the lights and licence plate the rear would look complete Very Happy
marktheshark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

i have felt this same way for two years! I live near a cliff and i tried to push the 72 SB that way but couldn't do it myself. I called my son to come help and would have made it but he brought his wife and she has decided it's "cute" so we continue. i will not reiterate the other posts here, only my different experience.
I"m a fair mechanic and got the thing to run, drive and shift (autostick) Then the wife decided it could look a little better. We heard about a body work guy who had done these in the day and took it there. my wife and i were painfully aware i had no experience in this area and that my age and vision were additional handicaps. after 8 months "resting" at this other persons "bodyshop", my son and I drug the pieces/parts back to my place as nothing constructive was happening. I won't share what this embarassment cost me, or how worthless small claims court is in IL.
The other experiences i have not heard mentioned are 1. as you fix one area, other areas are rusting away.....2. many of the parts that you spend hard earned money for are suspect, if not absolute junk. Most, if not all, of these places are on the west coast. Nuff said.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: