Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Yes there are tools and then there are tools. As a mechanic I make my living with the tools I own and I've been gathering them since the 70s. I like good tools and namely American made with a lifetime warranty but I leave a lot of leeway for others especially German. Every weekend there's a giant flea market over on the north side of town and you never can tell what will show up. Two years ago I found a nice Hazet assistant for 120.00, that's a steal. From time to time VW factory tooling shows up and usually they don't know what it is. Today I found these Stahlwille German made line wrenches as well as Par X 1/4 drive ratchet. The Par X is made by Snap On, also a stubby 3/8 drive ratchet of Japanese origin. The punch has no makers mark but is vanadium and U.S. made and I got all five as a group for 8 dollars. These deals are out there and it's a good cheap way to build a tool box that will last you a lifetime, tools you can pass down to your kids. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: home made sandblaster Reply with quote

GermanRust52 wrote:
my brother built the same thing over 20 years ago when we got the first plastic barrl,those are sweet.but didnt use a kit, made everything. Some times I wish I was smert enough to post pics of my "hoe made tools".
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Probably the better place to post these---Some cool Hazet stuff found in my Dad's old tool box

Above---What are the 3 tools on the left made for? The wrench has an attached pass through piece that can slide back and forth in the 6 point end.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Patty B. wrote:
Probably the better place to post these---Some cool Hazet stuff found in my Dad's old tool box

Above---What are the 3 tools on the left made for? The wrench has an attached pass through piece that can slide back and forth in the 6 point end.

Front end wheel bearing lock nuts.

The wrench near the right with the piece that sticks out is for the transmission recessed drain and fill plugs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

^^^^ Ohhhh! I see that now about the transmission plug end!
Thanks Everett! Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Patty B. wrote:

Front end wheel bearing lock nuts.

The wrench near the right with the piece that sticks out is for the transmission recessed drain and fill plugs.

The little yellow forked tool on the right looks like the tool used to remove the threaded bezel on dash switches used on VW, Audi, Volvo etc....back in the day.

The black oxide coated open end wrench that is 3rd from the right...while a common tool in our many Hazet kits....is also the exact type of DIN tool.....with the raised reinforcing rib around the wrench opening.........that is commonly found in almost all German made printing press, die cutter, punch cutter or folder in the printing industry.

Having been in over 3000 plants over the years its always cool to find these Hazet wrenches in the tool boxes of Heidelberg, Man Roland and other printing equipment. I have snagged a few here and there that were no longer used.

Japanese printing and industrial equipment also used and provided DIN style wrenches just like these in their tool kits.....but made in Japan...usually by Asahi....like these

I stole this image from the Garage journal site. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

I really like those---they look like big cartoony wrenches Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

The black wrench in your photo may be a Type 3 generator wrench.

It looks like it's 27mm?

Example:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=5117
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

It is indeed 27mm.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

I made a hand-drilling drill guide, to hand drill for threaded inserts in the case at the alternator stand to use bolts rather than studs. I hacksawed the basic portion from an old junk case (serial no B 6209016) and flycut it to shape. Three of the drill guides are stud diameter to bolt the guide to the case - the fourth is the drill size for the tap.

1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust

Last edited by Dr OnHolliday on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

I'd like to show it in action... but I don't know what it does. Markings don't jive with the site "Tool List."
Any tips appreciated.

Tool with four collets (also have some duplicate collets)
Seems like it's to hold a stud?

Tool marked on top of bolt: VW 111
12mm marked VW 116
10mm VW 115
8mm VW 114
6mm VW 113

Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

It's a stud puller. Thread it down onto stud, tighten the collet, remove. I have the snap on version. It's by far the best stud puller on the market. There is also a tool that has smooth internal bore (non-threaded) on the collets that is used for removing alignment dowels.

https://store.snapon.com/Stud-Remover-Sets-C675443.aspx
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

This is an awesome build of a tool many here could use.

Link

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

That was oddly gratifying to watch. A talented fabricator at work.

I tried to come up with a Polish joke, but nothing happened. Laughing
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Link

A real slick welding table.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

^. That actually seems cool and useful... if I only didn’t have a million other projects😐
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

I have the real tool to install and remove spring plates. Only problem is it mars the spring plate if it is painted or powder coated. I recently had another set of spring plates done and I wanted a better tool to install them. Here you go. A "Turnbuckle". Worked perfectly. I replaced my bushings and on this car I wanted the stock height which means it is harder to get the spring plate up to the level to install it. This worked great. It pulls a bit to the side but the plates "spring". Which means they don't stay where they are pulled. Perfect tool to remove and install the plates. I used the "real" tool to remove them but I will now sell it on the site, if someone still wants it. Check it out, pretty cool. Hopefully this helps a lot of people out with this job. You can see the official tool on the floor on the second picture.

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

I wanted to make an engine cart that I could use to move engines around on and also be able to slide a floor jack under...

I’ve added some 1/2 x 1 strips of delrin to the contact area where the case would sit since the pic... I used some flat head 1/4 20s counter sunk to attach.

It’s a little “tippy” if you set the engine back to far, but only a short distance because it will rest on the frame once it contacts the ground.

I used an old, small floor jack for the main structure.

You can see the delrin strips to buffer where the case contacts.... yes my welds look like poo... I usually don’t put a ton of effort into little jobs like this... just get it done. I’m going to add some slices of 1/2 tubing underneath the bottom edges to act as wheelie bars to prevent the tendency to tip back... it will morph a little as time goes by... this was a “wing it” as you go kinda job here😁

Last edited by anthracitedub on Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Damn dude! Makes me wish I hadn't scrapped my last floor jack!
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc... Reply with quote

Yeah, man... I held on to that ole jack for a while until the idea hit me... I had accumulated two HF jacks, so I wanted make those fit underneath. If I were to remake it, I’d make the landing strips longer so the engine could sit further towards center... feel free to use this as inspiration to design your own.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: