Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any VAG four cylinder diesel engines with a timing belt driven waterpump until the 1.9L ALH engines were introduced in the late nineties. All the IDI diesels I've seen with that type of water pump were the five and six cylinders

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

The craigslist ad has a link to a blog that describes the features of the LT Florida with lots of pics (adding it here so we don't lose it once the craigslist ad goes down).

http://www.bustirgit.com/en/1989-1993-westfalia-lt-florida-camper-2/

This setup is truly gorgeous, it can definitely see the 4x4 version being used as an ideal ski-trip vehicle.

owokie wrote:
ELO78 wrote:
Very cool.

This one just popped up 2 days ago in Vancouver, BC:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/d/1991-vw-westfalia-lt28/6727080527.html

Holy smokes. With a little legwork you could import two of them for that price. And expecting the engine to go 500k miles is just a bit optimistic.

There was one in the UK that had very similar pictures listed for ~17k pounds a few days ago. Wonder if that ad is a flip of that van. *edit* It is that van:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUTSTANDING-LT28-WESTFA...7675.l2557

That's 10k ish on that flip after shipping/import costs. Wow.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm not aware of any VAG four cylinder diesel engines with a timing belt driven waterpump until the 1.9L ALH engines were introduced in the late nineties. All the IDI diesels I've seen with that type of water pump were the five and six cylinders
The 1,6 diesel is actualy a 4 syl version of the 2,4 LT engine. the 2,4 came 2 years before the first 1,6 diesel. the 2,4 is actualy based on the 1,5 liter diesel. But they have a totaly different cambelt system.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
The craigslist ad has a link to a blog that describes the features of the LT Florida with lots of pics (adding it here so we don't lose it once the craigslist ad goes down).

http://www.bustirgit.com/en/1989-1993-westfalia-lt-florida-camper-2/

This setup is truly gorgeous, it can definitely see the 4x4 version being used as an ideal ski-trip vehicle.

Dead sexy, right? But I'm obviously biased. Note there was no 4x4 version, at least not in Westfalia Florida trim. Buying a 4x4 and then transferring the Florida interior would be an option, but one much beyond my means/scope. As metioned you can lift/tire it, I believe someone also installed a LSD of some sort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

The 5/6 cylinder diesels even have a different bellhousing pattern, so I'm having a hard time seeing how the 1.5/1.6 diesels were derived from the timing belt driven waterpump engines. I'm sure they share the same bore/stroke and all that, but the block design is completely different.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
uberhare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

We really enjoy ours. I don't think I could ever go back down to a regular Westy. With 20 PSI and a front mount intercooler I can almost stay out of everyone's way on the highway Smile Some days it's an elephant race with the 18 wheelers climbing hills. But it IS about the adventure not how fast you get there!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

That picture right there is what started this disease. Don't stare at it too long, it's contagious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Congrats from possibly the only non-fan out there. This thing is even more weird than a vanagon. Btw the shape and the interior pics it reminds me of my old school bus w significantly less power.

But freak freely as always.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Buss Marius wrote:
...Best place for parts are https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/lt-parts.html they always ship the same day if you order during working hours.

Yes, except Brickwerks won't ship to North America, you have to arrange to go through another vender. I believe Christopher at T3 was offering this service.

Brickwerks does indeed ship to North America (atleast to Canada anyways...). I've been using them a lot for my ongoing Syncro Doka restoration. Being in Nova Scotia I find getting parts from them can be cheaper shipping than from the US. After Van Cafe they are probably my second favorite vendor to deal with, plus they carry a lot more OEM parts which I don't seem to be carried by the vendors in North America.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

garbaldie wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
Buss Marius wrote:
...Best place for parts are https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/lt-parts.html they always ship the same day if you order during working hours.

Yes, except Brickwerks won't ship to North America, you have to arrange to go through another vender. I believe Christopher at T3 was offering this service.

Brickwerks does indeed ship to North America (atleast to Canada anyways...). I've been using them a lot for my ongoing Syncro Doka restoration. Being in Nova Scotia I find getting parts from them can be cheaper shipping than from the US. After Van Cafe they are probably my second favorite vendor to deal with, plus they carry a lot more OEM parts which I don't seem to be carried by the vendors in North America.

Interesting, how long have you been able to get parts directly from Brickwerks?
The last time I tried (a few years ago) they refused to ship to B.C. or America.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
garbaldie wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
Buss Marius wrote:

Interesting, how long have you been able to get parts directly from Brickwerks?
The last time I tried (a few years ago) they refused to ship to B.C. or America.

Looking back my invoices, my first order was June 2017, since then I've ordered from them another 8 times with never an issue. I usually keep the orders small as they ship by Royal mail up to a certain weight, that way I avoid UPS and their ridiculous brokerage fees.
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Re: LT parts availability

In my experience, most LT specific parts have now been "End-of-Lined" by VW. I have a big VW Commericals place just up the road from me and up until about 4 or 5 years ago, they could occasionally dredge up, on their computer system, a semi-forgotten dust-covered original part somewhere in their vast network and get it for me. Later than that however, I had no luck at all. And, unfortunately, unlike with the T3s and because the LTs haven't got such a cult following, there aren't as many [or any!] 3rd party manufacturers churning out replacement parts.

That said, I never had any problems getting 3rd party service parts such as belts, filters, brake shoes/cylinders, etc.

Re: Timing belt

One of the reasons the timing belt is such a pain to change on the LT is because you have to remove both the crank pulley and water pump to get the old belt off and [if I remember correctly –it's about 6 years since I did it] it's rotating the water pump which actually tensions the belt. So in essence you have to drain the coolant and replace or refurb the water pump, to change the cam-belt.

Also. Since you have to remove the crank pulley and the crank bolt is tightened to 350NM with the radiator sitting just a few inches in front of it, you'll want to drop the radiator too, in case your giant extension socket slips off the crank bolt and smashes through the radiator.

Oh. And the propellor fan needs to come off too and that's a complete bastard coz it's held on by 4 hex bolts [and we know how they like to round off!]. And to get at that properly, you need to remove the power-steering pump.

Such is the zen of the LT.

Every time I read this thread and look at the pics I start getting the pangs of regret that I sold mine. But, every time I think about having to change the cam-belt on one, I wake up in the night, screaming!
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

The rear brake pressure reuglator is a NLA part. Take good care of it.
Most other parts are possible to get. VW-classic parts still have some parts.

Brickwerks changed to UPS as their shipping partner about 4-5 years ago, so maybe that is when they started shipping world wide. I orderd some parts from Werk34.de 2 months ago. 30min later i orderd from Brickworks. It tok 5 days With Brickwerks and 13days from Werk34.

I knew it is a PITA to change cambelt on a LT, but not that painfull. I hope to change to a 5syl 2,5 TDI 116hp from a A6 Next spring. I am in the prosess of applying for a green light from the veicle inspection to do the engine conversion. I already have the donor car, and have taken the engien out. It is just the wiring harnes that has to be taken out. Later on i would probably ned to change to a rear axle from a ACL engine to get the RPM,s Down, or maybe get a volvo gearbox.
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Brickwerks changed to UPS as their shipping partner about 4-5 years ago, so maybe that is when they started shipping world wide. I orderd some parts from Werk34.de 2 months ago. 30min later i orderd from Brickworks. It tok 5 days With Brickwerks and 13days from Werk34.

I knew it is a PITA to change cambelt on a LT, but not that painfull. I hope to change to a 5syl 2,5 TDI 116hp from a A6 Next spring. I am in the prosess of applying for a green light from the veicle inspection to do the engine conversion. I already have the donor car, and have taken the engien out. It is just the wiring harnes that has to be taken out. Later on i would probably ned to change to a rear axle from a ACL engine to get the RPM,s Down, or maybe get a volvo gearbox.
Buss Marius
Samba Member

blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

I always knew you were a little too fancy for a Vanagon.

Just kidding - the LT looks sweet. We met some Germans in Santiago with a an LT28 as well and we were a bit jealous of the space. Looks like the party is in your van next time we meet. We'll bring the pineapple.
uberhare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Don't forget to upgrade the awning to the larger F45. You will be the party bus when it rains!

clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Buss Marius wrote:

My understanding is that the problems they had with shipping to the USA / Canada was to do with insurance, not their courier. They've now decided to get the extra insurance and so can send parts direct.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/brickwerks-blog/sales-to-the-us-and-canada/
ndoxsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

You did it! I remember you talking about the LT when you were in Austin. Man I am super jealous and interested to hear your experiences with the new rig.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Nathan! Hey man, didn't see your message 'til just now. How's life? At just shy of 4 months since we bought it, it's here, and finally registered as of today. Besides being an exercise in delayed gratification, there have been no major snags. First trip coming up this weekend...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: