Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" Tire Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
pvfahrer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ Certainly looks adequate at XL, 98 load rating. I'd run it.

FWIW: Check the tire FAQ compiled by Kam:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507

(14" options start on p.8...) http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf

- Dave

Yeah that’s were I found the recommendation, was wondering if anybody actually tried them and can say a few words about them.
bettingonvans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I deliberated hard about which 14 inch tires to get for our 2wd 1990 westy and decided that because they are light truck spec tires I was more than comfortable with 27x8.5r14 grabbers. I tried to find something rated correctly and there’s nothing readily available, and best I could tell at the time, LT tires do not require the ~9% derating that passenger tires require, though I am ready to be wrong about that conclusion.

I weighed our 2wd westy at a weigh station in Idaho at just under 5000 pounds. That was with about 300 pounds of person (spread across three!), half full sink water, 6 gallons of extra fresh water, 10 gallons of gasoline and everything we needed for living in our van for 3 months.

We’ve had these grabbers for about 10 months and have put about 13,000 miles on them on all manner of road/off-road situations. Huge rocks, sand, loose dirt, washboard garbage and massive potholes all across the country and I could not be happier with them. Peloquins TBD helps.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

ok here's the cheapest I've seen a 'rated' tire.. a flippers dream. Rolling Eyes
or a local run around van.

205/70/14 XL 98TR rated tires. (speed T for pass cars speed R for trucks) 4ply-reinforced
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-205-70-14-SENTURY-TOURING-70R-R14-TIRE-29242/192496961965

currently listing at $42 ea delivered
but
ebay has a %20 code = (JUSTRELAX) for the holiday weekend ($50max savings)
bringing them down to $33.60 ea delivered.

here's the discount tire spec sheet on them
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/sentury-touring/p/29242

Quote:
Specifications
SIZE
Wheel Diameter14
Aspect Ratio70
Section Width (Cross Section)205
Overall Diameter25
Rim Width Range5.0-7.0Rim Width
Weight21
TREAD & TRACTION
Tread Depth11
Tread Grade500
Traction GradeA
Tread Width
SAFETY & PERFORMANCE
Load Index98
Max PSI49

Speed Rating (up to X mph)Up to 118 mph
Temperature GradeA
Vendor Product Number / MPN841623106591
Warranty40,000

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

ebay has a %20 code = (JUSTRELAX) for the holiday weekend ($50max savings)
bringing them down to $33.60 ea delivered.

20% code isn't working for me. Still not a bad deal.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

they have a [get coupon] button on the ebay home page.
it's likely tied to a cookie or something.

maybe

I dunno.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

The General Grabber AT2:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...;tab=Sizes

Is now the General Grabber A/TX. Still available in 14":

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...tab=Survey
rblake3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

How about these Cooper Discovery tires. M+S, 99 load rating. Potential to use them all year round but extra points for winter.

https://www.tires-easy.com/225-70-14/cooper-tires/discoverer-m+s/tirecode/90000002983

Anybody have these???

How are they in the dry???
94 Miata
Vanagon H4 E-Code Lighting Upgrade page
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

^^^ Sweet tires. I'd be running them now if they'd been available last spring.
They were my second choice after the NLA 14" Vredesteins...ended up with
General Grabber AT2's which are fine for what we do in the summer but leave
me wishing for a real 4-season tire if/when I need to pull out the van for winter.

Get'em while you can! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Buellboyxb12x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Ordered four of the Cooper Discovery tires last night. I will post an update once I get them installed on MY '85!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

not endorsing cheap tires but some times some people just need to roll.

Looks like the cheap Sentury tires are off fleabay but now there's some Lionharts for less than $50 ea shipped.

$188 for 4 X New Lionhart LH-501 205/70R14 98H XL All Season Performance Tires

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-New-Lionhart-LH-501-2...2692840935

HOPS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

bettingonvans wrote:
I deliberated hard about which 14 inch tires to get for our 2wd 1990 westy and decided that because they are light truck spec tires I was more than comfortable with 27x8.5r14 grabbers. I tried to find something rated correctly and there’s nothing readily available, and best I could tell at the time, LT tires do not require the ~9% derating that passenger tires require, though I am ready to be wrong about that conclusion.

I weighed our 2wd westy at a weigh station in Idaho at just under 5000 pounds. That was with about 300 pounds of person (spread across three!), half full sink water, 6 gallons of extra fresh water, 10 gallons of gasoline and everything we needed for living in our van for 3 months.

We’ve had these grabbers for about 10 months and have put about 13,000 miles on them on all manner of road/off-road situations. Huge rocks, sand, loose dirt, washboard garbage and massive potholes all across the country and I could not be happier with them. Peloquins TBD helps.

Do you have a photo of the tires on your van?

Are you running standard shocks?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
the Goodyear Wrangler AT Radial Tire - 195/75R14C are still available and a helluva tough tire used on postal delivery vans.. but carry a high $$ too..
must be part of the free market price gouging of a specialized application.
this is the best price I've seen
https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Wrangler-AT-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MWYVCI6

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0

F*ck those are expensive!!! So glad I went with the 16" wheels and tires.

Still expensive, but $80 off 4 @ Sam's Club. $880.00!

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/goodyear-wrangler-at-lt195-75r14-c/prod2910163.ip
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
not endorsing cheap tires but some times some people just need to roll.

Looks like the cheap Sentury tires are off fleabay but now there's some Lionharts for less than $50 ea shipped.

$188 for 4 X New Lionhart LH-501 205/70R14 98H XL All Season Performance Tires

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-New-Lionhart-LH-501-2...2692840935

. Lionhart....???? Did someone way off shore have a thing for Braveheart at one time...... Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I have several vans and trucks, keeping them all shod with adequate tires is a chore, and at times an unneeded expense. I generally run General grabbers on my Vanagons, and have been very happy. I put my first set on 6 years ago, and have about 30,000 miles on them. I am starting to get minor weather checking on them, and will replace them soon. The tire guys all say 6 years is all the longer one should safely use tires anyway, seems mighty short duration to me, but experience seems to bear this out. As an aside, I have a pair of Sears Guardsmans I bought sometime back in the 70's. They are holding up one end of one of my parts vans now. Still hold air, still no weather checking, wouldn't drive on them, but kinda interesting no weather checking at all.
Thanks to Dan from Syracuse, and his post alerting me to the Sentury tires on sale. I bought 5 of them for just over $200 shipped to my door. I needed a cheap set of tires to mount on rims for a spare set, to mount on whatever needs to be rolled and sometimes be driven. I put them on my 73 as temp. tires. They are made in Thailand, and since I mount my own tires, I could tell they have a reinforced sidewall. I installed a set of Goodyear Wrangler A/t's on my wifes winter beater (Ford Ranger 4WD), and it was night and day just how thin the Goodyears were compared to the Sentury. No scientific test there, just an observation. The Goodyears were the non LT variety, as nothing ever gets carried in the bed. I have Volkswagens vans to carry the load when needed!
The Senturys are obviously road tires, little siping and no lugs or cleats. I bet they would be lousy in slippery situations. They balanced out within 1/2 ounce each. I got almost no miles on them (10?) before I had to leave for the Gulf Coast, leaving the 73 in storage in Nowhere, In. They seemed to handle ok, not as stable as the Grabbers in the couple of turns I took, but no vibrations, wobbles or bounces. I think they will serve just what I need. Thanks, Dan!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Buellboyxb12x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

A couple of quick pictures of the Cooper Discoverers mounted on MY 85. Only a couple hundred miles in so far but much better handling and ride than the old RA08’s.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Buellboyxb12x wrote:
A couple of quick pictures of the Cooper Discoverers mounted on MY 85. Only a couple hundred miles in so far but much better handling and ride than the old RA08’s.

Are you running these year round or winter only?

I would only make 2-3 winter trips to Vermont ( 1,200 miles total winter use ) in our Multivan. The vans are parked in the winter for the most part. We will put on 5-10,000 summer miles (60% on two lane back roads, 35% highway ) on all for weekend trips, no daily driving for us. Am also considering those Sentury's but realize winter use is then unlikely as they don't seem they'd do well.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Now that it appears nobody can ever, ever, ever get these, I have to post them just to irritate you all:

Special mention to Dan for finding them!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Irritates ME more than anyone...

really liked them.

Grrrr..
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Optio Reply with quote

Doug: When the he!! did you learn to post pics...???!!!??? Wink

J/K...I tried to get into a set of Comtracs last spring...no joy.
Same story re: Cooper Discoverers, so I ended up in General Grabbers.

They've been good everywhere I've gone, but I'd feel better having the
"all-weather" coverage of the Coopers or Vredesteins...oh, well... Confused Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

there are limited qtys of these 14in Starfires left too

danfromsyr wrote:

and the 195-75-14 6ply Starfire (cooper) all terrain
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Starfire+SF510+195+75+14

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 31

Jump to: