Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New sand rail user - looking for purchasing advice
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ispep1012
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: New sand rail user - looking for purchasing advice Reply with quote

Hey all! Been doing some research on a few things & google keeps sending me here so I thought I would register & ask some questions.

I am looking to purchase a sand rail for a combination of street and play. I am a tall guy at 6' 3" so I need head room. I am considering building if I cant find a decent starter buggy.

I was gonna look at a berrien stalker this weekend and could use some advice. This was factory welded with the torsion bar & 3in extra headroom 7-8 years ago. It is king pin front, IRS rear, racing swing arms, hydraulic pedals & cutting brakes. Engine is a vw 1600 FI & bus tranny.

Front rims & all around shocks need replaced. Asking 2500.00! What do you guys think & can the FI be switched to carb easily. Thoughts welcome! From Michigan if it helps.
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New sand rail user - looking for purchasing advice Reply with quote

ispep1012 wrote:
Asking 2500.00!

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Read the transmissions for dummies on the stickey? If it is complete buggy with a bus tranny then I'd be all over it.
ispep1012
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New sand rail user - looking for purchasing advice Reply with quote

ataim wrote:
ispep1012 wrote:
Asking 2500.00!

Read the transmissions for dummies on the stickey? If it is complete buggy with a bus tranny then I'd be all over it.

Yeah I have found quite a few interesting articles on here. Just a matter of remembering what they look like I guess.

Is there any common things that are most important to look over when buying a used rail. Also this is not street legal so I would have to convert it. What is the best route for front brakes on kingpin? Oh also does anyone in Michigan care to share some insurance rates on a sand rail?
bawbeeseboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine registered as a historic vehicle. Was titled as 1983 assembled roadster . I had collector car insurance for a while until they decided not to insure dune buggies, you know they always ask for pictures. I switched to Auto Owners and that was about 250/6 mos full coverage and would switch to just comp. for the winter. Hope that helps.
ispep1012
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawbeeseboy wrote:
I switched to Auto Owners and that was about 250/6 mos full coverage and would switch to just comp. for the winter. Hope that helps.

Thats not bad at all. To be honest I was expecting those prices without full coverage.

Has anyone on here had any experience with the stalker chassis.http://www.berrienbuggy.com/id32.htm. I am not quite sure on the flat top design yet, but it would look great with a t-top design. I am going to look at this tomorrow hopefully if all goes well.
ispep1012
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am a proud owner of my first vw powered machine. Bus tranny turned out to be a 6 rib. final price 1950.00. What do you think!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
tody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a good deal you might want to reinforce the cage a little with some x bracing behind front seats and over your head. also a 8-10 in piece from the a pillar to the door bar so it slants like this \.
bawbeeseboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Berriens kit with the x brace in front and the gussets for the corners of the bars really stiffend things up.
ispep1012
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will definitely be bracing & doing some custom fab work on the frame. I need to put in some shock bars for the rear. Got lots of ideas Very Happy .

It needs some work and I am not quite sure on the fuel injection yet but I should get there. I may need some advice of you guru's out there. It leaks a little but research says it is quite common. What would be best for me to start checking and going through on the engine? I have a book for vw to help.
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not already read this you need to. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354795&highlight=lost+friend

Six rib bus tranny, Shocked My buggy did not have front brakes also. I wound up putting disks on the front. I already had disks in the back. I also used a duel Wilborn master cylinder.

What are you mainly going to be running your new buggy in?
ispep1012
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataim wrote:
If you have not already read this you need to. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354795&highlight=lost+friend

Six rib bus tranny, Shocked My buggy did not have front brakes also. I wound up putting disks on the front. I already had disks in the back. I also used a duel Wilborn master cylinder.

What are you mainly going to be running your new buggy in?

Ouch! Shocked I didnt see that post but thanks for the burned in mental image. Should help me make some better decisions. I am trying to figure out the best route for brakes instead of a new 800.00 kit. I gotta try to be somewhat reasonable here. I will mostly drive on street and I do intend to play with it offroad possibly even silver lake, mi. It all depends cause right now no one I know has one.

As far as bracing goes, this was a quick photoshop. I want to put in the back bars as seen in photo then possibly x-brace that part with removable flanging just in case. I added the front braces as the other one suggested in the front but not sure if I like that angle. Honestly I am not even sure where I can get sufficient tubing around here. We used to have a place then they quit dealing to public!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gkalmar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous. I'd love to have a Stalker or a Venture frame. I like the looks, and they have lots more tie rod clearance up front. I want to go mid travel on my rail, but I think I might have a hard time.
ispep1012
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkalmar wrote:
I'm jealous. I'd love to have a Stalker or a Venture frame. I like the looks, and they have lots more tie rod clearance up front. I want to go mid travel on my rail, but I think I might have a hard time.

Honestly I wasn't sure of the flat top at first. I much preferred the classic style but after looking at pictures long enough and finally seeing it in person I prefer this style now.
GonzoTx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ispep, Look around for stock style disc kits. I got mine for under $300 with new spindles. They use factory calipers and disc so finding replacement parts is cheap and easy.
ispep1012
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GonzoTx wrote:
Ispep, Look around for stock style disc kits. I got mine for under $300 with new spindles. They use factory calipers and disc so finding replacement parts is cheap and easy.

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering that my self. I may not allocate them in my get it street legal budget as I was reading the TR-54 and it does not state front are required. Now of course I will put front brakes on this to drive on the road, I'm only saying I would rather get everything else done to tile it first. On the other hand I need tires & rims all around and would probably save money that way I don't have to buy two sets of fronts.
ispep1012
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a few questions. I am getting ready to get started on this and was wondering what is a good size tire and rim to be running for a combination of street and off-road. I have 4 lug but dont know the mm pattern yet.

I'm buying new rims & tires so I want to get this as close to perfect as I can.
therickster005
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New sand rail user - looking for purchasing advice Reply with quote

Question? Speaking of off road, where can I buy front x brace bars for bugs? Thanks
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New sand rail user - looking for purchasing advice Reply with quote

Wut?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New sand rail user - looking for purchasing advice Reply with quote

therickster005 wrote:
Question? Speaking of off road, where can I buy front x brace bars for bugs? Thanks

Kind of extracted this thread from the pyramids huh? 2009? And it's not even a direct cross reference. But OK...

Show us the frame you feel needs x-bracing. And show us where you feel it needs to be added.

From your post, you might have a stock VW Bug, maybe a Baja Bug, remotely possible for a tube frame or fiberglass buggy.

Better yet, how about starting a new thread of your own asking this question. Put pictures in your new topic.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: