Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where can I find accessories?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palmetto Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Where can I find accessories? Reply with quote

I just bought a 74 SB. It’s always been my dream to own one but it’s been a nightmare finding anything for it. There aren’t many down here in the middle of SC. I am looking for simple seat covers-not the whole upholstery kit, more like what you would buy at Autozone. The seats are in good shape and I want to keep them that way. I also need to make a copy of the keys and I am looking for a VW key. Searching online os frustrating. Any suggestions?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find accessories? Reply with quote

Finding a key maker for older VWs can be a nightmare, I live in a city with a population of about 750K, and its still difficult. Forget any key maker in a store, but start calling locksmiths. Also you should be able to get seat covers that will fit from any parts store. they won't be a perfect fit, but with a little effort and hog rings, you can usually make them look pretty good.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find accessories? Reply with quote

As suggested- go to a locksmith. Visit the oldest ones you can. Same goes for old mom n pop hardware stores. I stopped by 40+ year old shop a couple years ago and they were happy to sell me almost all their old stock blanks. If you find any with "Volkswagen" spelled out- buy them. They make easy trading stock at shows and swaps.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find accessories? Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Finding a key maker for older VWs can be a nightmare, I live in a city with a population of about 750K, and its still difficult. Forget any key maker in a store, but start calling locksmiths.

Ha !!! Phoenix area has like 5 million, and tough here too. I did find a locksmith a few miles away who still stocked blanks for VWs, he made me an engine lock duplicate key. However, was an Ilco key, not a VW stamping.

Cave Creek Rd. & Sweetwater, for you Arizona folks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
garyloos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find accessories? Reply with quote

I found a key blank at Ace Hardware. for my 1972 Super. ( Ilco V81W)

1972 Super Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find accessories? Reply with quote

Google this: Groove Bags. Click on one of the pictures of car seat covers. The other sites are for purses, etc.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find accessories? Reply with quote

There was a fellow at busfusion (Almonte, Ontario) that had blank VW keys and cut them on the spot. I had an extra one made for my car.

He's from Connecticut and is a member of Samba, I don't know his name, but maybe someone reading might know.

I took a couple pictures of his stock:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: