Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Riviera wheel questions
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monsterbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Original Riviera wheel questions Reply with quote

I believe I have original fat lip Rivs on my '73 Beetle. Can anyone confirm this (see pic)? I know some other aftermarket wheels looked alot like the original Rivieras. What is the rim width of the fat lipped versions? They seem narrower than the new Eagle types. Will 205/70/15 fit on this rim on the rear? If not, what's the widest tire I can fit safely on there with out losing any tire height? Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Original Riviera wheel questions Reply with quote

Monsterbeetle wrote:
I believe I have original fat lip Rivs on my '73 Beetle. Can anyone confirm this (see pic)? I know some other aftermarket wheels looked alot like the original Rivieras. What is the rim width of the fat lipped versions? They seem narrower than the new Eagle types. Will 205/70/15 fit on this rim on the rear? If not, what's the widest tire I can fit safely on there with out losing any tire height? Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like Formula Vee wheels.

Quote:
Will 205/70/15 fit on this rim on the rear?

Yes

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125456&highlight=riviera

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=348907&highlight=formula+vee

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Riviera wheel questions Reply with quote

Looking at a 70s beetle sitting in front of a junk/swap dealers lot. He said he acquired it from a lady whose husband past away and the beetle had been in a barn for almost 20 years. It has front end damage but the drivetrain is all there and he wants $500 for it.
It also has original Riverias on it.

What is the value of a set of original Riverias?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Riviera wheel questions Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Looking at a 70s beetle sitting in front of a junk/swap dealers lot. He said he acquired it from a lady whose husband past away and the beetle had been in a barn for almost 20 years. It has front end damage but the drivetrain is all there and he wants $500 for it.
It also has original Riverias on it.

What is the value of a set of original Riverias?

Without a picture I'm not agreeing that they are original. There are at least 3 original versions- and condition is everything. I'm betting you mean Rivieras though.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Original Riviera wheel questions Reply with quote

This is what they look like:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=197056

I think the ones I looked at maybe 4-1/2” wide
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Riviera wheel questions Reply with quote

I know restojohnny on here probably has the best bead on values. Those in the ad are what you can call 2nd generation Rivieras- original and as sold through VW dealers in the early 70s. If you look up the term "fat lip rivieras" you'll see what the first run of these looks like in the late 60s. But off the cuff, I'd pay $300 for an original set of 4 of those (not sandblasted like the ones for sale in your ad reference). These days I'd bet ANY vintage quality wheel is worth that. I paid $250 for the set on my '71 FV tribute beetle and considered it a fair deal for their condition. I spent a lot of time polishing and cleaning and preparing the bead to hold air.

If the car gives you $400 in parts plus the wheels- I'd call it lucrative. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: