Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘71 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Aeromech, I will pick one of those up. I’m gonna have to pull the top to redo the rear wood section, fiberglass the crack, gel coat it and rebuild the brackets.

Found the OG rear screen, OG tire cover (it also still has the tire tie down strap) and the OG front curtain. I washed and dryed the curtain, it’s in pretty good shape. It has one small hole and it’s missing one of the snaps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Great score Richie ! OG Paint ! Solid floors..

Totally awesome project ! Have fun with it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Hello,
I know this isn't your first bus, but.
Did you check for the childs cot in the recess above the closet and storage cabinet??. Reach in the space before the head knocker above the closet.
That is where mine was, along with the rear bug screen, all rolled up, like new.
Like I said before cool find and you got a great start(bones) on that bus.
Doesn't look like any collision damage, and you have doglegs, rockers and lower rear corners, from the pictures; so no rot from the looks of it. Yet, how does the underside look, any rust?. That nose and drivers door area looks the worst.
I looked up the place you got it from. Looks like a nice dry area.... Kinda like were I live and found my Bus.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Nice,nice..moving right along towards good times!
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
Did you check for the childs cot in the recess above the closet and storage cabinet??. Reach in the space before the head knocker above the closet.

This is the correct location -- there's a strap that holds it in place there. The same style strap that holds the table leg to the table bottom.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
That is where mine was, along with the rear bug screen, all rolled up, like new.
Like I said before cool find and you got a great start(bones) on that bus.
Doesn't look like any collision damage, and you have doglegs, rockers and lower rear corners, from the pictures; so no rot from the looks of it. Yet, how does the underside look, any rust?. That nose and drivers door area looks the worst.
I looked up the place you got it from. Looks like a nice dry area.... Kinda like were I live and found my Bus.

It’s actually my fifth bus.

The bus is empty and there’s no cot, I looked everywhere. I was hoping to find it because the bars on the aftermarket one are super weak. I’m still holding out for the keys though, maybe I’ll find a hide away.

The driver side dog leg is destroyed and will be replaced. The passenger one needs some help and might get replaced if it can be returned close to its normal shape. Both rockers will be replaced and there’s a section above the driver side rocker near the outlet that needs to be repaired too. My current goal is to spray paint the replaced parts with the Krylon Dover White or Ivory, whichever looks closest. That use 1500 grit sand paper to blend the paint, we’ll see how it goes. The nose will get banged out the best I can, no bondo. But all that is a project for the springtime.
’65 Deluxe Build
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

don't forget to pull the fresh air end covers to check for stuff POs stashed in the vents Smile
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Worked on the bus alittle this weekend. I pulled the front bumper, the steering box and the gas tank. I wanted to get the steering box and the tank out before I tarp it for winter. I’m gonna send the box out to Wolfgang to be rebuilt and I’ll clean the tank up while the bus is buried in snow. The bumper is not to bad, most of it can be reused. The body under the bumper is in good shape and it looks like I’ll be able bang out the dents in the nose. Both dog legs are toast, lots of rust and 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the wings on snapped.

The tank isn’t that bad looking

The OG hose looks great and is still playable, I’ll be reusing it.

Working in the dirt, laying on a blanket.

94,000 original miles... 😜

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

So I sent the steering box out to be rebuilt a week ago and I recieved it back today. What, what, what?!?!? A week?

I’d like to give a big shout out and a big thanks to Aeromech for not only offering, but taking the time to do such an awesome job on the rebuild. It looks great!!!! If you guys have never spoke to or met Aeromech, he is a great guy. We, as the Bay Window community are lucky to have such a great guy among us.

It’s gonna be a few months before it gets installed as The bus is buried under 3’ of snow right now. Which makes for shitty Vdubing but epic skiing!!!

Looks great and feels just as good!

Who wants to go shred some powder??? 🎿❄️

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Little report. The engine has been torn down and was in pretty good shape. Looks like it could have been run for several more miles. The case is in good shape and it will aline bored, clerenced and machined for 94 positions.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

A little update on progress. The snow is finally gone and I’ll be pulling the bus out of the back yard this weekend to start gutting and cleaning. The transaxle was torn down today and is in great shape. New Bearings and seals will be ordered from Arizona Transaxle. I was originally going to put a ZF LSD in it but I’ve decided not to because of the cost. No biggie, I’ve never felt I needed it before and I’m gonna put Grabbers on this bus.

Saturday morning I’m headed to the local VW graveyard to pull a bunch of parts the bus needs. Some of the things I’m looking for are bumpers, over riders, splash pans, screens, steering wheel, column, ignition housing, blinker switch, horn parts, head light bucket and a rim. Hopefully I’ll be able to find all those parts.

Hopefully things will be moving quickly in the next 2 months. I gotta get this thing road worthy before 4CORE, which is the last weekend in July.
’65 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

rich~

ditch those over riders...they are super close to the body on a good day front and rear. 1 minor tap on the bumper and you have a nose that looks like yours does.

if you need any bits you can't find, let me know

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Yea, I understand the damage issue with the over riders. But, I like the way they looks. Besides if I don’t run them how else am I gonna hide the damage they’ve already created on the nose. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Today I went to the local VW graveyard, not an easy place to get into. Many of the buses and cars have been sold but there was still some stuff to be had. We spent about 2 hours talking, searching for parts and wrenching. After pulling the parts we went to a nice Mexican restaurant for lunch and some beers.

When I got home I pulled the bus out of the backyard and into the driveway. I was very careful and pulled it slowly as it doesn’t have a steering box installed right now, didn’t want to it make an unexpected sharp turn. Now that it’s in the driveway I can start working on it. Hopefully I’ll have some time tomorrow to to wrench on it a bit. I’m getting excited.

Shot of what’s left at the graveyard

Pulled the front bumper from this bus that rolled over

My spoils. Front bumper, steering wheel, column, ignition housing w/key, blinker switch, horn assembly, 4 hubcaps, passenger vent wing, rim, 3 jealousy screens, reverse lights, headlight assembly and 2 beauty rings. Not a bad score. I really need a rear bumper, but there was none to be had there.

Can’t believe there was a key in it.

All wires look good, we just unplugged them. The blinker switch has the same amount of wires, hopefully it will work. But the ignition switch won’t work, it doesn’t have the same amount of wires. The housing will work though, so that’s cool.

The current switch

The switch out of the ‘69 only has 3 wires

I could use a rear bumper, if you have one you’d like to sell to help my build let me know. Thx!
’65 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Um, you didn't take the parcel trays? Shocked Crying or Very sad

You are dead to me. Not talking :fist: Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Ha, comedy!

The parcel trays are in my ‘71 not a bus at the graveyard. What do you know about them, are the factory or aftermarket trays?
’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Lucky you have access to parts that close ( I think I know where that is ) to you. Nothing like that here anymore. You will have a very nice Westy on the road soon. I would bet the miles shown are correct with no more than 192,xxx.

Keep both Bus's so your son can enjoy one!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Lucky you have access to parts that close ( I think I know where that is ) to you. Nothing like that here anymore. You will have a very nice Westy on the road soon. I would bet the miles shown are correct with no more than 192,xxx.

Keep both Bus's so your son can enjoy one!

It’s not easy to get access to that yard. The owner moved and is rarely in the area anymore. He’s been selling off the cars and buses, and pickings were scarce.

As far as the miles go i think it just 94k. I say this because of the shape of the transaxle, CV boots and ball joint boots. All look factory and still in pretty good shape. But, if I’m wrong no biggie. It’s gonna get a new 2175, the transaxle rebuilt, new front end, brakes, tires, interior, etc...

Wish I could keep both, but I can’t. I wouldn’t mind a Bug though, that would be a blast.
’65 Deluxe Build
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Ha, comedy!

The parcel trays are in my ‘71 not a bus at the graveyard. What do you know about them, are the factory or aftermarket trays?

Those are Kamei Safety parcel trays. I had a set which originally came with my Dormobile. I have some identical fabric leftover from when I had to rebuild mine. If you come to the Brewery show, find me and I'll give it to you. I have it in the garage across the street from Bristols.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:

Those are Kamei Safety parcel trays. I had a set which originally came with my Dormobile. I have some identical fabric leftover from when I had to rebuild mine. If you come to the Brewery show, find me and I'll give it to you. I have it in the garage across the street from Bristols.

Thanks for the info! I like the safety aspect and that the could be OG. But I gotta he honest I really like the cup holders in the plastic BD one in my ‘68. It’s a handy spot to put your beer on those off road excursions. Wink

I think I’ll pull them out and see what it’ll take to rebuild them and go from there.
’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: