Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoxBiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

HELP! My passenger door is stuck closed! I just replaced the alignment wedge. The new screw heads were flush, but on just barely as is getting too tight (and did not want to strip it... The latches inside and out had been working fine and the door operated fine after the new wedges were instaledl. After about the 6th time it was closed rather firm. It won't budge when operating the inside or outside latches. Of course the seats are in place so any door panel work will be tough! Argh... my first work on my new baby! Thanks for all the info here!
FoxBiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

Anyone?
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

Can you get someone to operate the handle outside while you give it a firm shove from inside?
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

You could try jacking the car up in different places to see if the body will twist enoguh to release the pressure that's holding the door shut.

Just be sure to use only those jacking points that are "safe" and won't result in a crushed rotten rocker panel or buckled rotten floor.

From this other thread here in The Samba Ghia Forum ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7742243

didget69 wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
didget69 wrote:
I'd also recommend that you don't use the outer ends of the torsion bar housings as a jack stand support point - it can damage the rubber torsion bushings.

bnc

Can you explain this more? Wouldn't putting a jack stand under the torsion bar housing relieve the stress on the spring plate and bushing?

Sure - I can explain... Where I (and others from years past) have recommended placing jack stands is here -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- but not jacking up the car, nor placing jackstands under the outboard portion of the torsion tube housing.

bnc

I would also add what perhaps should be obvious (but can be easily forgotten when one is distracted), never use a rusty area as a jack point ... even if it is the "official" jack point on the body and you are using an original jack.
One of the quickest ways to ruin your day is to jack up the car to perform some simple little task and end up seeing the rockers get all crunched up because you didn't know there was lots of "invisible" rust lurking on the inside and weakening the sheet metal.
See item 13 in the following guide to evaluating a Karmann Ghia body for rust ...

FoxBiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

Wow... great insight on the jacking points! I was just looking into that. Thanks

As to the stuck door, I have tried pushing from the inside. I can hear the catch release with use of the inside or outside latches. But no go on the door.

I also noticed that when the latches release the catch, there is slight movement at the top of the door (when pushed) but none at bottom. When catch is heard to catch (pushed closed), there is no movement top or bottom when pushed out.

Thus I think there is something catching at the lower door point.

I will try the various jacking points first. Feel that I will have to insert plastic wedges into the lower door area from inside to get some gap.

Thanks!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

FoxBiz wrote:
Thus I think there is something catching at the lower door point.

I will try the various jacking points first. Feel that I will have to insert plastic wedges into the lower door area from inside to get some gap.

Thanks!
Maybe have someone attempting to pull the door open as you give the lower inside edge of the door a good wallop with a dead blow hammer.
FoxBiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

Thanks Croc... Trying for something less aggressive and potentially damaging! But will resort to brute force soon!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

FoxBiz wrote:
Thanks Croc... Trying for something less aggressive and potentially damaging! But will resort to brute force soon!

The least aggressive method is probably to remove the door cards and remove the door lock and latch mechanism inside the door.

You haven't said anything about the door gaps - front, rear and bottom - and I'm assuming it's the latch that's the problem.
FoxBiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

Kiwi.... the door gaps are all even and standard.
Can you access the latch mechanism from inside the door?? Thought you had external screws.
Can the alignment wedge bracket also be accessed from inside the door??
Thanks!
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

The advice about jacking up the car is very good stuff. I would try that prior to removing the door panel. only takes 5 minutes to raise it and the door might pop open the second you squeeze the handle.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
The advice about jacking up the car is very good stuff. I would try that prior to removing the door panel. only takes 5 minutes to raise it and the door might pop open the second you squeeze the handle.

If you want to go the "flexing" route, you might try the process described at p A-63 of the Bentley manual. That way you won't risk damaging the rockers and heater channel.

kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

I mean just using the jack spur with the factory jack. Put a jack stand under the rear torsion tube for safety. When I lift my car I feel a very slight difference in drag opening the door.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

This happened to me twice. When I first got my “new” Ghia, the drivers door wouldn’t open. It acted and sounded like it was locking, unlocking and moving the catch lever. Turned out the actual catch that rotated into the strike plate had popped out of its spot and didn’t turn anymore. Had to pull the door panel and managed to grasp the spindle with some needle nosed vice grips and turn it just enough to open the door. I got a replacement at a swap meet and about a year later it happened again. So now I have two of each side on my shelf to ease my fears about this being a recurring issue.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FoxBiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

Jeffery... Thanks for the tip. Sounds exactly what I am experiencing. Were you able to pull off the door cards (with seats installed) and reach the latch? Do you have any pictures?
Also... where are you in GA? I am in Marietta and could use some advise on where to go for repairs.
FoxBiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

Finally got the door free!!! It was as I suspected, the new alignment wedge.
I took off the door panel to access the tapped bar that received the pan head screws. 4 carbide bits later, I drilled out the suspected screw and Fred the head from the wedge. BEWARE of leaving these screws too far abov the surface or the wedge! 👏🏼
FoxBiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Passenger Door on 72 KG Reply with quote

Oh... I did have a challenge removing the door cards from a closed door with the seat installed... Used a plastic pry bar used to remove trim... Used a hamme to drive it around the perimeter... Needed new cards any way Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: