Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back to life - my 66 build begins.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Rhysos wrote:
Pleased to hear that your dad is doing OK after his ordeal!

Looking forward to seeing your resto progress in due course Very Happy

Thank you so much my friend, I really appreciate that. I just feel super fortunate for how well he is doing. Words cannot explain.

I am really super excited to get back to the car, feels like it’s been forever since I worked on it.

I hope your project is doing well!!

I really appreciate you checking

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aaron Williams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked I just stumbled across this build and this is amazing! Definitely going to keep an eye on this build. Can't wait to see the end results!
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Aaron Williams wrote:
Wow! Shocked I just stumbled across this build and this is amazing! Definitely going to keep an eye on this build. Can't wait to see the end results!

Thanks Aaron! I can’t wait to get back to work on it

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oliwer Lorenc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Hi I find that your Beetle had simmilar right wheel arch to my 1966 beetle. Can You show me the left side? I only found your car to have simillar isue to my one. Inner wheel arch looks like this from 1967 but with no holes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Oliwer Lorenc wrote:
Hi I find that your Beetle had simmilar right wheel arch to my 1966 beetle. Can You show me the left side? I only found your car to have simillar isue to my one. Inner wheel arch looks like this from 1967 but with no holes.

Hello,
Wow, I looked through all my pics. I have none from the left side of the rear wheel house

I hope to be over there Friday, I’ll be happy to take a picture
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

WOW! Awesome work! Very inspirational and helpful for someone who is just starting to delve into bodywork. Is this what you do as your day job?

Subscribed!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Yeah, somehow, at some time, he's got skills from somewhere along the line Very Happy
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Never did car work for living, only a hobby!

Always wanted to keep it that way, otherwise I was afraid I’d grow to hate it haha

Been super lucky that my Dad & Brother also love cars. So it’s something we all have done together our whole lives.

Plus we all have strengths in different areas, so we can help each other, & learn.

I am beyond excited to get back to work on the 66’, I just need to find time....

Things are so crazy thru November & December ughhhhhhh
oldtimercraiova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Awesome man! Embarassed
shortbutslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

The craftsmanship, patience and ingenuity are amazing - thanks so much for taking the time to share this process, truly inspiring!! I'm starting to tear into a '62 ragtop that has a few, "issues", and this is making me feel like I've got a fighting chance. Its just mesmerizing to watch it all magically come apart and magically go back together, perfectly, like it was no big thing...I can't wait for the heater channels!!

Popcorn
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

shortbutslow wrote:
The craftsmanship, patience and ingenuity are amazing - thanks so much for taking the time to share this process, truly inspiring!! I'm starting to tear into a '62 ragtop that has a few, "issues", and this is making me feel like I've got a fighting chance. Its just mesmerizing to watch it all magically come apart and magically go back together, perfectly, like it was no big thing...I can't wait for the heater channels!!

Popcorn

Thanks so much guys! I’m with everybody else on this stuff. Honestly sheet metal work is my least favorite thing. I am trying to get better, it’s like everything else. The more you do, the easier it gets.

For me personally, I learned to take my time and really figure how the panels were put together, before taking them apart. Then just do the best I can to duplicate it.

It is a really satisfying process, getting rid of all the issues.

Things have been so busy lately, will probably be after Christmas until I have free time to get back on it.

I’m really excited for that though! I’m also looking forward to the heater channels, in a weird way haha
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Any updates??
I need some inspiration from your awesome work and attention to detail to get back in the garage and replace rusty metal.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

fla2smoker wrote:
Any updates??
I need some inspiration from your awesome work and attention to detail to get back in the garage and replace rusty metal.

What’s up! ZERO updates lately, UGHHHHHH!

Things just got so freaking busy, but I’ll finally be able to get back on it in a couple weeks

I can’t wait, seems like it’s been forever!

Thanks for asking!

Dan
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Been a couple weeks Very Happy
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Been a couple weeks Very Happy

Ha, nice!
Yeah, it’s been a lllooooonnnnnggggg couple weeks Razz

I actually have good news though, I am finally back on it again!

Just started actually, but I’m so excited to get back at it. Life just got in the way last year......

But I got a small step started. I got the interior sheet metal all cleaned up, of all the old carpet & headliner contact cement.

Here’s kind of some before shots:

So I just used mineral spirits & a coarse stainless kitchen scrub pad.
All the crap came off, & the metal under is in GREAT shape!

Here’s some after pics:
Inside roof looking better

So I’m inspired now to get back to work!

I also quickly mocked up the replacement front quarter panel again, and it felt GREAT to see it looking like a car again:

So with some luck, I can get lots done this weekend, fitting the quarter & getting ready to weld it together

Thanks for the interest, I really appreciate! I hope to keep progress updates coming 🙃
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Hey all, does any one know where I can find this section of my heater channel where the inlet is? Looks like the OP fixed his.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LmXNYhd4HojjNjwZA

Thanks
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

if you have that much of a rust issue.. i would replace the heater channel completely. i think it will rust in the rest of the areas sooner or later.

regarding that wonderful 1966, i thought first that was a German postal beetle.. yellow on the outside and "VW grey" on the inside... then figured it out it was just a respray Laughing

i just love this model, my 1965 standard ragtop looks the same but needs far more work.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Hey all, does any one know where I can find this section of my heater channel where the inlet is? Looks like the OP fixed his.

Thanks

I agree with eurodub, it’s likely there’s more issues than only the rear section of heater channel

I actually didn’t do any repairs in that area on my car. I just cleaned up the sheet metal, because I have to replace my heater channels

Mine look perfect on the outside, but the windshield corners were leaking water. All of that water ran down into the heater channels and rusted them out from the inside....you can see this earlier in my build thread

So I have a pair of Klassic Fab channels to install...

There’s always so much more rust than what we see it first ha ha
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

dodgerodder wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

Thanks

I agree with eurodub, it’s likely there’s more issues than only the rear section of heater channel

I actually didn’t do any repairs in that area on my car. I just cleaned up the sheet metal, because I have to replace my heater channels

Mine look perfect on the outside, but the windshield corners were leaking water. All of that water ran down into the heater channels and rusted them out from the inside....you can see this earlier in my build thread

thats exactly whats happended to mine. a dozen years of sitting outside w/out a windshield and booom!!, rusted channels.

my drivers channel is solid somehow. is it normal to have this happen b/c my 66 had a terrible drivers side but a much better passengers heater channel. Are most heater channel rust due to leaks or just luck??
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
dodgerodder wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

Thanks

thats exactly whats happended to mine. a dozen years of sitting outside w/out a windshield and booom!!, rusted channels.

my drivers channel is solid somehow. is it normal to have this happen b/c my 66 had a terrible drivers side but a much better passengers heater channel. Are most heater channel rust due to leaks or just luck??

If I had to guess on yours, water probably ran down the defroster vents (in the corners of the dash) down the tubes into your heater channels

Maybe somehow one side got more water than the other?

That brings up a good point I didn’t even think about for my car, before I got it.
I have no idea if my car sat without a windshield, for all I know. That would maybe explain what happened to mine too
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: